Well, Whadaya Know! I'm an Instructor!

This is a discussion on Well, Whadaya Know! I'm an Instructor! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, I'm not an instructor. But this weekend I was. I've got two ranges on the property, a short (25-yardish) and a long (out to ...

Thread: Well, Whadaya Know! I'm an Instructor!

Well, Whadaya Know! I'm an Instructor!

No, I'm not an instructor. But this weekend I was.

I've got two ranges on the property, a short (25-yardish) and a long (out to 1200 yards, if you don't mind climbing a mountain on BLM land) and carry pretty much always, so my neighbors may have somehow gotten the idea that I like to shoot guns. Now, I'm pretty much a hermity type, but I do have five sets of neighbors within about a mile radius and try to maintain good relations with them. One set I'm especially fond of is an older couple from Phoenix that've been building a beautiful house on weekends for almost the past ten years. I watch their place for them during the week and do other little favors for them as the opportunity affords. They've got a crowd of grandkids who often spend the weekend out here, sometimes with the parents, sometimes not.

Anyway, with the return of warm weather my neighbors have had a plague of rattlesnakes that have scared them because of their grandkids and their little Shih Tzu dog. They've talked about buying a handgun but don't know anything about them, and asked if I'd mind showing them handling basics. Of course I said I'd love to. So we made a date for this past weekend and ... nine people showed up. Two grandparents, two parents, and five kids.

Well, I wasn't ready for a big extravaganza, but fortunately I was able to dig up enough earmuffs and earplugs. Thank heaven for a well-stocked gun room. I took them down to the short range in the wash, we went through the Four Rules, I showed them how to open the actions on representative handguns and rifles and see if they were loaded, and then those who wanted to shot some. I showed the shooters how to apply the Four Rules, showed them how to check for flinch and - you know - just the real basic stuff without getting all drill sergeanty on them.

I had a great time, and hopefully did some good.

2. Remove Ads

Wow sounds like quite a class you had! What a nice thing you did.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Great neighbors being neighborly!

That IS what it's all about!
    Bravo Zulu!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Good for all of you! Thats being neighborly!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

This is America at its best.

Thank you for being a true citizen and providing your fellow Americans the seed their needed to get started on gun..

It's people like you I call heroes.

It does feel good to be able to help others out to learn the gun, doesn't it?

I'll do that in irregular basis; every time I can find someone poor soul willing to come the the range for free instruction - mainly women.

Good for you, Cedar Rat, good for you.

God Bless.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right. -- Cicero

Excellent story. That was very neighborly of you. Sounds like you did a great thing, educating such a large group like that. Good on you!

That's awful nice of you.

You sound like a great neighbor - and your neighborhood sounds pretty good, too. I'm in the crowded part of the desert, in the East Valley.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Very cool, and a real nice thing to do!

People new to guns getting a good first impression is always a plus in my book.

I'm glad everyone had a great time!

Good Job!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Man in the barrel that is great.

Now, I'm pretty much a hermity type.

You won't be know as the werdo anymore, they will be talking about You the whole way to the big smoke. They will be coming over with pies.

Great. Good. Normal. Folksy. Nice. Old-fashioned...BUT...beware of dangers when injured friends and neighbors suddenly become dumb greedy selfish dishonest strangers...like those sisters and brothers-in-law who suddenly know their laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Great. Good. Normal. Folksy. Nice. Old-fashioned...BUT...beware of dangers when injured friends and neighbors suddenly become dumb greedy selfish dishonest strangers...like those sisters and brothers-in-law who suddenly know their laws.
    Heh. Good luck with that. Blood from a stone, and all that...

Every Civil War encampment or battle reenactment [like every other public or private event] is a lawsuit just waiting to happen...especially since John Edwards is back to ambulance chasing after his baby making.

Very kewel story! You sound like the perfect neighbor - not overly obtrusive, but willing to help out when needed.

Did you get to shoot any rattlesnakes for live-fire demonstration?

I've taken some of the airmen from the Lab at which I work to an indoor range a couple of times. Most of them had never fired a handgun before and other than firing an M16A2 in Basic Military Training, had never fired any firearms before our time at the range. Always kind of fun to teach the basics. I use airsoft pistols for basic familiarization and handling, which seems to work fairly well.

I think I'll look at getting an Arkansas CHL Instructor certification once I retire. Be kind of fun and fulfiling to try and mold folks' thinking in the right direction.

Anyhow, thanks for the kewel story! Appreciate it.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Links