I'm torn

I'm torn

This is a discussion on I'm torn within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been wanting an AK for a month or so. Not anything nice just something to play with and something that is super reliable, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm torn

I'm torn

I've been wanting an AK for a month or so. Not anything nice just something to play with and something that is super reliable, and something that is pretty cheap to obtain. Here's the problem, I stopped at the local shop today and looked at a really nice Gen. 2 Glock 22, now I really want that... I already own a G23 so the ammunition is already here. If I buy the AK then I will have to invest, although 7.62x39 ammo is pretty cheap, in ammunition to get going with the AK. I presently do not own any rifles... What would you do if you were in my shoes??

AK, don't really gain anything going to a G22. Course, you could also look at AR's for a few hundred more and have the ability to switch calibers easily.

VIP Member
    Ditto nedrgr. The 23 can do almost anything the 22 can do, while a long gun opens up a whole new world of performance and options - not only for SD, but for plinking, competitions, zombies, etc.

In the end, of course, it comes down to what you want, but if you are happy with the 23 and looking to "broaden your horizons," the 22 isn't going to broaden them much at all...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Go with a rifle, as others said, you really don't gain anything by getting the Glock 22. You do with the AK.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I just really like the Gen2 G22... cool factor for me... no finger grooves, no acc. rail... I know I don't gain much...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I thnk you may have answered your own question--you wanted an AK for a month or so.
    Spread the wealth. You've got a handgun, get a rifle. Variety is the spice of life--and shooting. Don't know for the life of me why someone wants a bunch firearms in the same caliber to "save money." Doesn't matter; once you pull the trigger it all goes up in smoke.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Get the AK, especially if you don't have any rifles yet. It's a great rifle to start with, simple and reliable. It will fit with your Glock-flavored tastes nicely I think.

Add one voice to the chorus - get the AK. Everyone should have a fun rifle.

Add to that? The Gen II is notorious for spewing powder anto your forearms with the hideous frame/slide fit.

Get the AK.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by moparoutlaw View Post
    I've been wanting an AK for a month or so. Not anything nice just something to play with and something that is super reliable, and something that is pretty cheap to obtain. Here's the problem, I stopped at the local shop today and looked at a really nice Gen. 2 Glock 22, now I really want that... I already own a G23 so the ammunition is already here. If I buy the AK then I will have to invest, although 7.62x39 ammo is pretty cheap, in ammunition to get going with the AK. I presently do not own any rifles... What would you do if you were in my shoes??
    The AMD-65s seem to be rather reasonable at this time. Personally, I'd get into the AK rifle and gather ammo as it becomes available. That's just me though.

Go with the AK. Everyone needs at least one in their inventory.

And I concur with RamRod, the AMD-65 is a great value for a nicely made Hungarian rifle. Just don't choke up on the front grip too much though.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

From a guy whos owned a few AKs and still does, GET ONE! AKs dont die. They take basically ANYTHING you throw at it short of welding the action in place and it will keep on going.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    There will be more Glocks out there, but if you don't have a HD/SD rifle then I would definitely get the AK. You'll need a battle rifle before you'll need basically a repeat of a sidearm.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

The Gen 2 Glocks will be around for a while...get the rifle.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'd take an AK any day over a Glock. Especially if you already own one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links