Average Life of a Recoil Spring?

This is a discussion on Average Life of a Recoil Spring? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there any standard for the lifespan of a recoil spring? Used to be when a car hit 100,000 miles it was considered a has ...

Is there any standard for the lifespan of a recoil spring? Used to be when a car hit 100,000 miles it was considered a has been. With modern technology, that number has ballooned significantly.

Is there any milestone number for how many rounds a spring should/could take before it fails or should just be replaced via preventative maintenance?

I ask because my Taurus PT 140's spring bent while at the range last week. When I say bent I mean turned 25 degrees to one side.

I've put probably 800-900 rounds threw it over the last six years or so and until the spring bent, it had never misfired, or had any problems relating to feeding or ejecting. The gunsmith at the store/range said blatantly..."That's not a real gun" but I have come to expect that being a Taurus owner. I've ordered an entire spring assembly from Taurus and expect it within a few weeks.

So I don't know if this is a common Taurus failure or not but I would like to know about spring life and if there are any standards relating to them. Thanks in advance for your insight and help!

VIP Member
    This issue is one reason I'm really uncomfortable with auto for CC, even though that is what I use.

I've had these dang springs "sproing" on a S&W 99c .40 and on a Colt Mustang .380. At least on the latter I was able to easily get a replacement. It was like pulling teeth on the S&W, with a 9 month wait.

These two incidents sure make j frames look good. And the lesson is carry a BUG, though that is something I find not appropriate for myself.

I'd likely have gone to a 642 or similar months ago if not for difficulty finding 38 spec. ammo on the shelf at Wally's.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Being a known wear item, you'd think manufacturers would keep a ready supply on hand and have a recommended replacement schedule. 800-900 rounds sounds a bit early for a recoil spring failure of any sort.

One usual indication of a weakening recoil spring is failure to return to battery, but to bend?

Check with Wolffe Springs. They can supply most any spring.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I replaced mine in my Para P12 at about 5K. It was failing to return to battery.
    Have put about 4K through my Walther P99 in 9MM with no issues so far.
    +1 on Wolff. Great products.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    Yes, Wolfe springs are find provided they have one for your particular weapon. Apparently the 99c in .40 is sufficiently rare that the after market folks I checked with didn't have anything; also the springs and guide rod are one integral unit and the guide rod broke. The nine month wait for S&W to get a replacement was infuriating. However, the replacement looks much sturdier than the original equipment.

Yes, you'd think the manufacturers would keep a good supply and have a recommended replacement schedule. It is disappointing that they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Being a known wear item, you'd think manufacturers would keep a ready supply on hand and have a recommended replacement schedule. 800-900 rounds sounds a bit early for a recoil spring failure of any sort.

One usual indication of a weakening recoil spring is failure to return to battery, but to bend?

Check with Wolffe Springs. They can supply most any spring.
    Thanks for the tip. The gun failed to RTB but like I mentioned, not due to wear but it bent and stayed that way. I'll see if I can post a pic.

Ok, pic is below. Not only was the spring bent but the spring guide was as well.

It was worse before the gunsmith tried to bend it back into place but this is how it looks now. All 4 pieces are on order from Taurus.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    H&K customer service told me that my full-size USP .40 pistol (bought about 15 yrs. ago) just reached its breaking in at over 10,000 rds. fired. And it does not need any parts to be replaced just yet.

I'd venture to guess that mainly depends on the design and the manufacturer. Round coil springs, flat wound springs, etc...... Then there's the rods. Then there's the hi-power ammo compared to the standard. Variables become almost unlimited at this point. In general, I don't think anyone can give a definitive answer even based on an average. Also consider other factors like incorrect installation after cleaning, not following manufacturer recommended maintenance or usage, and all the other factors involved in the field above and beyond what the engineers hadn't thought of. Technology to make things better evolves every single day as well. You just can't keep up with it all, so the best thing to do is to know when your pistol isn't functioning like it should, and consider all of the things you've done to it above and beyond what the original manufacturer recommends, then you're at home plate. Just like your vehicle and your usage. OEM recommendations for changing the air filter are generic and based upon mileage. You drive on pavement, or on dirt roads? Whatever makes sense is still just whatever makes sense. Don't depend on statistics or averages. I apologize if I've not helped you in any way.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This looks like a failure of the guide rod rather than a spring issue. Looks like it bound up when you fired and couldn't collapse to absorb the recoil. Dirty?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Call Taurus. That may be something they need to look at (warranty wise). The spring didn't bend the guild rod did. See if they will send you one under warranty.

The recoil spring should last a very long time. I would say it should be checked every couple thousand rounds and I would guess they may last anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 rounds (depends on a lot of factors).

Edit: I see you already have the parts on order.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Totally dependent on what type of weapon it is..A rohrbaugh will need a new spring earlier, like after 100 rounds, than say a glock.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This looks like a failure of the guide rod rather than a spring issue. Looks like it bound up when you fired and couldn't collapse to absorb the recoil. Dirty?
    Gunsmith seemed to think that the failure of the spring caused the rod to bend...I have no idea which did what but yes both are bent.

Both the springs and rod assemblies were cleaned two weeks ago when I fired it last. The gun is well maintained and this failure was quite a surprise to say the least.

I do appreciate your insight and ideas though, thanks.

Links