Glock 30, Failure To Extract

This is a discussion on Glock 30, Failure To Extract within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm having a small problem with my Glock. I was at the range today putting a few rounds through my G30 and USP. Getting ready ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm having a small problem with my Glock.

I was at the range today putting a few rounds through my G30 and USP. Getting ready to finish up and I experienced a jam in my G30. First issue ever in 1000 rounds. I cleared the jam and continued shooting the rest of my ammo with no issue. It was a failure to extract. The spent casing was jammed between the barrel and slide.

After getting home and cleaning both my pistols, I started to look into the problem. The Glock was always flawless, there had to be a problem.

I started experimenting just by cycling full mags through the gun. With the slide foward, insert the mag and go to chamber a round by racking the slide, on occasion, I could not pull the slide back fully... maybe a 1/2". Just enough to see into the chamber. It gets stuck. On other occasions, this same thing will happen, but half way through the magazine. If I get a really good grip and pull hard, most of the time I'll be able to fight through it and extract the round with no issue.

If I pull that magazine out and relieve the pressure from below, the slide moves freely and will extract with no issue. But I don't think it's a mag concern. When the problem occurs, I swap out between different mags and it doesn't change anything.

Also, It happened with factory FMJ ammo that has been shot through the gun reliably for nearly the entire 1000 rounds. It will also happen with my JHP's as well, so I don't think it's an ammo issue either.

Is it possible the extractor has already worn out? Anything else I should worry about? This is my carry weapon, though I don't carry often enough. Even though I don't carry often, I would like for it to be 100% reliable. I can atleast depend on my HK, but it's a home defense pistol.

Help?

You may have to wait a few minutes. Everyone is still trying to catch their breath because a GLOCK had a FTE.

Just giving you a hard time, sorry I'm not qualified to help. I'm sure someone will come along soon. Goodluck.

Maybe I misunderstood... Sounds like a FTF not FTE. The round didn't feed, correct?

I saw a post a while back where someone said, "Glocks are 100% reliable, and parts are easy to get." I thought that was ironic.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood... Sounds like a FTF not FTE. The round didn't feed, correct?
    There is not an issue feeding. As in, as the slide is returning foward, there are no issues with the round being chambered.

Now, when there is already a round chambered (or racking the first round into the chamber), it is difficult the pull back on the slide. It get's stuck and is almost impossible to rack the next round into the chamber unless you pull very quickly and firmly. And by that I mean with damn near all of my strength.

What happened when the gun jammed was the gun fired, but did not extract the round, therefore not allowing the next round to feed. It was jammed between the slide and the barrel when the slide began to return foward.

BugDude: Haha, that's funny. Glock are known for they're reliability. But hey there can always be issues with some of them. I'm an Automotive Technician for Honda. Honda's are known for and ARE reliable cars, but yes, they do break, haha. Glock's are the Honda's in the gun world. One of the best selling, popular, reliable gun's/cars' out there. People buy them for a reason. But, even they too sometimes have failures :)

I really just want to go out and blast 1000 more rounds through and hope for no failure's, just to ease my mind. Like I said, the gun has been totally reliable, up to this point. Even after clearing the jam, I was able to get off a few more magazines full with no problems.

Is there a chance that your shooting reloads that were originaly shot from a GLOCK. It sounds like the casings might be swollen. Just a thought.

I'm sorry I just noticed in your original post that you were using factory ammo.
    Last edited by Back 40; May 26th, 2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Can't read

Nope. Factory ammo. Unless the store sells reloads in a factory box. Which would make me unhappy, haha.

But I don't think it's ammo related. I've cycling both my FMJ ammo and my JHP ammo through. It doesn't matter which ammo I use.

Also, I'm pretty new to firearms. Only been shooing for 4-5 months. So sorry if any terminology is wrong. I think I have a good understanding of how everything works though. I'm pretty mechanicaly inclined :)

Have you tried another mag? Cleaned the mag? If it happens more when the mag is inserted it could be mag related. A mag functioning poorly could translate to the gun functioning poorly. Do you use any lube/grease on the rails etc? Have you torn it down recently? Did you get it back together right? (Spoken from experience) I'm grasping at straws here and still reeling from the Glock having a problem. lol As far as 100%, I understand the desire to have an EDC that is 100%. But guns are machines and problems happen.

Maybe not gun related, could you have limp wristed it? I think I have done it once with my Glock shooting one handed. The wrist absorbs too much of the energy and the slide functions improperly, usually leading to an empty case hanging in the chamber and jamming the slide. I had a S&W .45 that was bad for it though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It could have been a few things,the brass case expanded more and therefore was harder to extract causing a stovepipe,lighter load causing the slide to not recoil hard enough to eject the case out of the way before returning to battery,any time you have a mag inserted that is loaded it will put extra pressure on the slide making it harder to rack the action
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I've tried to cycle ammo with all my mags and it still happens on occasion. It only jammed actually firing once. Now it's only been have issue cycling the slide. It happens with any magazine and will happen with any ammo. It doesn't do it all of the time.

The main issue again is with the mag inserted, trying to rack the slide back, it'll get stuck. If I pull the magazine out, it's fine. But again, it happens with ALL of the magazines, and ANY type of ammo.

Maybe I'm just being stupid and expecting too much. Maybe it's not even a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    You may have to wait a few minutes. Everyone is still trying to catch their breath because a GLOCK had a FTE.
    Not really, this guy is now a rich man! If he saves and frames his Glock...do you know how RARE that gun would be? These things just don't happen...it could be worth millions!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was really happy with the gun until yesterday. It's been accurate and 100% dependable up until now. Again maybe it was just a fluke. I won't have the chance to shoot it again for atleast a week. It's going to eat me alive for the next few days.

I just want to know if anybody else has had this same issue just simply trying to cycle ammo through their Glock. Somebody has to know what may the cause or atleast understand what I'm talking about. It's hard to explain. I just simply at times cannot pull the slide back unless I pull back with nearly all my strength. I know I probably sound like a broken record and forthat I am sorry haha.

As far as limp wristing. I guess it's possible, but I haven't done it the previous times. I don't know why it'd happen now.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    First, ignore the "Glock failure?" comments. It happens. I had one FTE, just as you described, on the second mag I fired. I have to take full credit for that; it caught me by suprise with a weak grip. Never a hiccup since with factory ammo.

I may have missed this, but does it happen with any mag or just one? Mark your mags so you can keep track of which one is in it when this occurs.

Have you slipped a round into the chamber by hand and then slammed the slide on it? If so, you may have damaged the extractor. Glocks should be chambered from the mags only. Give it a close inspection to eliminate that issue.

If there's no ejector damage or it happens with any mag, it's time to have it looked at. Like any make, Glocks can have issues, but odds are, it will work when you need it to.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    First, ignore the "Glock failure?" comments. It happens. I had one FTE, just as you described, on the second mag I fired. I have to take full credit for that; it caught me by suprise with a weak grip. Never a hiccup since with factory ammo.

I may have missed this, but does it happen with any mag or just one? Mark your mags so you can keep track of which one is in it when this occurs.

Have you slipped a round into the chamber by hand and then slammed the slide on it? If so, you may have damaged the extractor. Glocks should be chambered from the mags only. Give it a close inspection to eliminate that issue.

If there's no ejector damage or it happens with any mag, it's time to have it looked at. Like any make, Glocks can have issues, but odds are, it will work when you need it to.
    I have tried to drop a round in the chamber once but never slammed the slide on it. The extractor looks like it's ok. This problem does occur with ANY mag I have. I have three 10 rounders and one 13 rounder.

I have done some google research and found other guys with G30SF's with the same or close to the same problem. Some have blammed the stiffness of the glock mags and others say there is a trigger bar issue due to it rubbing the slide. I'll have to check that out when I get home.

Like I said it's only failed while firing once.

Send it to Glock - I was having failure to go into battery my new 36. They replaced 3/4s of the internal parts - just as SOP - gun is fine now. They are also loose on warranty stuff. Don't know how long you've gad yours but Glock, I've heard, often ignores warranty periods and just fixes everything for free.

You have to send it USPS or Fed Ex, but of it's treated as warranty-fix they send it back on their buck.

Time it took was about 2 or 3 weeks if I remember correctly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links