A question or two for Sig experts!

This is a discussion on A question or two for Sig experts! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm wondering where a sig p228 was manufactured if there isn't a 'made in Germany' or 'made in West Germany' on the slide. If it ...

Thread: A question or two for Sig experts!

I'm wondering where a sig p228 was manufactured if there isn't a 'made in Germany' or 'made in West Germany' on the slide.
    If it is manufactured elsewhere, is the quality lower...is it worth less...is the slide the heavier one piece solid steel variety of the p229, or are all 228 slides manufactured with carbon stamped steel as the earlier ones were? (The gun is a non-railed CPO in like-new condition.)
    Thanks in advance.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    I'm wondering where a sig p228 was manufactured if there isn't a 'made in Germany' or 'made in West Germany' on the slide.
    If it is manufactured elsewhere, is the quality lower...is it worth less...is the slide the heavier one piece solid steel variety of the p229, or are all 228 slides manufactured with carbon stamped steel as the earlier ones were? (The gun is a non-railed CPO in like-new condition.)
    Thanks in advance.
    Not an expert, but IIRC, all 228 slides are stamped.

There should be a manufacturing location somewhere on it; I'm not sure if SIGarms made any in the US, or not...but that'd be my guess as to where it was made.

Quality should still be good.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    There are older SIG-Sauers that were assembled in Tyson's Corner, VA. My understanding is that those should have used German manufactured slides. The Tyson's guns are not 100% compatible with newer make P228s, and when they die or wear out are generally sold off as parts to people who want to keep their own Tyson's SIGs running.

In the SIGarms period, most of the classic P-Series guns would have had frames built in the US and the upper parts made in Germany, with the whole gun being assembled in Exeter, NH.

The general comment, though, is that there are a lot of different manufacturing variations of the P-Series guns. All German made and proofed versions with matching serial numbers are more valuable than run of the mill guns. Non-rail P228s are generally sought out by particular P228 aficionados.

If you have a serial number, you can get started in this thread on SIGforum to try to learn more about this particular pistol.

ETA: And in following up on my own link, the P228 may not have been one of the guns made at Tyson's Corner. There were some earlier ones assembled in Herndon, VA, though.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    There are older SIG-Sauers that were assembled in Tyson's Corner, VA. My understanding is that those should have used German manufactured slides. The Tyson's guns are not 100% compatible with newer make P228s, and when they die or wear out are generally sold off as parts to people who want to keep their own Tyson's SIGs running.

In the SIGarms period, most of the classic P-Series guns would have had frames built in the US and the upper parts made in Germany, with the whole gun being assembled in Exeter, NH.

The general comment, though, is that there are a lot of different manufacturing variations of the P-Series guns. All German made and proofed versions with matching serial numbers are more valuable than run of the mill guns. Non-rail P228s are generally sought out by particular P228 aficionados.

If you have a serial number, you can get started in this thread on SIGforum to try to learn more about this particular pistol.

ETA: And in following up on my own link, the P228 may not have been one of the guns made at Tyson's Corner. There were some earlier ones assembled in Herndon, VA, though.
    There where also a bunch of mis-print Tyson Corner guns stamped Lysons Corner floating around out there for a while. I thought they where only on the 226's but there maybe a 228 out there with a Lysons Corner stamping as well.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thanks for the info guys and for the link.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Links