New Mosin-Nagant Owner - Any Tips?

This is a discussion on New Mosin-Nagant Owner - Any Tips? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As the thread title suggests, I recently purchased a Mosin-Nagant for a pretty decent price. It came w/two dual ammo pouches, sling, tool pouch w/tools, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mosin-Nagant Owner - Any Tips?

New Mosin-Nagant Owner - Any Tips?

As the thread title suggests, I recently purchased a Mosin-Nagant for a pretty decent price. It came w/two dual ammo pouches, sling, tool pouch w/tools, gun oil and bayonet. And, of course, the required dripping of cosmoline packing grease from just about every inch. Mine is stamped 1942, apparently produced in Georgia (the country, not the state) from what I can tell.

For those who don't know, this is a Russian/Soviet Union produced weapon, originally designed in the very late 18th Century, production began in1891 and the design was produced in it's mostly basic form up until the 1960's. More information available from this link at Wikipedia.com.

I bought mine because I didn't currently have any sort of rifle. While it's obviously not a modern-day masterpiece of Grade-A Bang-Bang, I've heard great things about them for quite a few years now. Plus, it was a great price and appears to be either brand-new or at least kept in excellent shape. All the serial numbers that are visible are the same, so it also appears to be an all original piece.

Anyone have any tips, hints and/or tricks they might care to share about theirs? Thoughts on a scope? I was thinking of trying to find an original WWII Era Soviet Sniper Scope, but am more than willing to entertain any suggestions on that and other aspects of the rifle.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

2. Remove Ads

Don't have one, but I would replace the rear sight with a peep sight and handload for it. Looks like they can be had without permanently modding the firearm - check out Mojo sights. I'm sure there are others. I know a guy who put a peep sight on his AK47 (at the back of the receiver) and his handloads shoot into a .75 group at 75 yds. When loading for it, remember they use .311 or .312 diameter bullets. May want to slug your bore to determine actual size.

Hello new Mosin owner!!! I'm guessing that your rifle is the M91-30 model. By the way you rifle was not made in Georgia. It was by your date most likely made in Tula (Star and arrow on top of receiver) or Izhevsk(Triangle and arrow).

As far as tips and tricks. You can shim the trigger to shorten the pull.

This is the best site to go to 7.62x54r.net .

Enjoy your new Russian three line rifle!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    White lithium grease did wonders for my action on longer shooting sessions.

They get real hot, and real hard to move sometimes, but they are fun.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Fun rifle, history behind it, and cheap to feed.

I have a 1928 w/ hex receiver and immaculate bore. All matching numbers except the bolt. Best $90 I've ever spent.

I am no rifleman by any stretch of the imagination, especially with open sights, but it is satisfying to consistently hit a 16" x 16" gong @300m on 1980's surplus ammo.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

They are quite fun and depending on which variation you have, you can see the muzzle blast.
    As mentioned, cheap to feed.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have been collecting military surplus rifles for many years and have an extensive collection of Mosin Nagant rifles (its pronouned like MOseen NAgon) buy the way. They are a good, inexpensive way to get into milsurp collecting and the rifles and ammo are inexpesive and readily avalible.

Here are some good links for you that will take you way beyond the WiKi world of knowledge on the old warhorse. These rifles killed more Nazi than the Garand and Lee Enfield combined as 7 out of 10 Germans killed during WW2 were killed on the Eastern front and the Mosin Nagant rifles played a large part in this business.

My advise is don't "bubba" up the rifle. Leave it as is and it will hold some future collector value. They deserve this much respect.

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com
    Mosin Nagant
    7.62x54r.net
    Mosin Nagants of the World - All - C+R Gun Collector Forums - Message Board

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks for the suggestions and general commentary. I appreciate it, especially the links.

I put my rifle back in the cardboard box in which it came, sealing it as best I can until such time as I get a stripper clip and ammo for it. There's a gun show next weekend here in the greater Little Rock area and I hope to do what one of my airmen did two months back, which is to pick up some stripper clips and can of ammo (or at least a couple boxes) on the cheap. I'm not in a major rush to shoot him (his name is Vanya, BTW, a diminutive form of Ivan - Russian for "John" - in keeping w/my theme of naming my firearms after characters from the show "Supernatural" - so figured it best to keep him out of sight and sealed up until I have what I want in-hand to go shoot.

My thinking is to definitely look at putting a scope on the rifle, but am still leaning towards a WWII Era produced piece - or something that at least doesn't look modern day. I don't want a laser sight, but some sort of scope would be preferrable to open-sights.

I like the idea of a peep sight versus the current rear sight, tho. I've never fired a rifle w/this exact type of sight and it appears that it will make accurate shooting much more challenging than I'd prefer - yeah, I'm sorta lazy.

Nice collection of M-N's, pirate! I appreciate the work you've obviously put in to them, as well as your input.

Any thoughts on the sling? That thing is tight and I can't get it to stretch out enough to fully put it in place. A friend suggested rubbing some olive oil in to it to loosen it a bit, as he says it's likely dried out over the decades it's been in storage. Again, I'd like to keep the original sling, but refuse to go w/o a sling if I can't get the issue sling to work correctly. I've got a three-point sling for an M-16A2 that I've had for my trips to The Desert, but doubt I can modify it so that it looks anything other than kinda stoo-pid for what I need.

'Course, I guess I could just use it as a standard sling, which is what I've done most of the time in The Desert.

Again, appreciate the comments. Thanks muchly!
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Check here gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals
    for comparison prices, change the zip code for shipping. Prices are still pretty low, when I stocked up I paid $0.18 per round.
    Sighting In A PU Sniper
    Check the above, that is a PU scope, some of the wood needs to be removed to mount it and to stay authentic, you'll need a bent bolt. But google around, you'll find something.
    Attached Images

I own a Nagant 91/30 and I have a few recommendations before you shoot it.

1) get a slip on butt pad.

2) Get a bag of cleaning patches and a new bottle of hoppes and use up the bag of patches cleaning the barrel. They have a tendency to be extremely dirty.

3) feel proud that you now have the loudest gun at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    They are quite fun and depending on which variation you have, you can see the muzzle blast.
    As mentioned, cheap to feed.
    +1 on the muzzle blast, a lot of fun to be around. i love a rifle that makes your teeth rattle.

the ammo is cheap if you buy surplus ammo, but its usually corrosive so your gun needs to be cleaned right, and right away to prevent corrosion. some milsurp ammo is not corrosive, and all newly manufactured american ammo is not corrosive, but its not cheap.

i love my 91/30. i bought mine because of the history, the price, and the fact that i did not have a high powered rifle.

this is what my 91/30 did to some brake rotors. 147 gr. steelcore at 50 yards

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    My thinking is to definitely look at putting a scope on the rifle, but am still leaning towards a WWII Era produced piece - or something that at least doesn't look modern day. I don't want a laser sight, but some sort of scope would be preferrable to open-sights.

I like the idea of a peep sight versus the current rear sight, tho. I've never fired a rifle w/this exact type of sight and it appears that it will make accurate shooting much more challenging than I'd prefer - yeah, I'm sorta lazy.

Any thoughts on the sling? That thing is tight and I can't get it to stretch out enough to fully put it in place. A friend suggested rubbing some olive oil in to it to loosen it a bit, as he says it's likely dried out over the decades it's been in storage. Again, I'd like to keep the original sling, but refuse to go w/o a sling if I can't get the issue sling to work correctly. I've got a three-point sling for an M-16A2 that I've had for my trips to The Desert, but doubt I can modify it so that it looks anything other than kinda stoo-pid for what I need.
    If you have the "dog collar" slings which is original to the Mosin Nagant rifles they are easy to install. Look at the rifles in the rack I have posted and you can generally see how they are attached.

You understand you do not have to load rounds with stripper clips right? Original Russian strippers are hard to come by and the steel aftermarket ones often don't work very well. Just open the bolt and load 5 rounds one at a time down into the fixed mag.

To mount a scope you will have to drill and tap the receiver for scope bases and of course the rifle is than permanently altered. You can mount a "scout type scope" with an EER (extended eye relief) scope. This requires that you remove the rear sight leaf and mount a scout mount which does not alter the rifle permanently.

My advice is to not do any thing hastily, do your research and learn all you can from the links I sent you. If the rifle is covered inside and out with cosmoline (thats the redish vasoline like substance they are preserved in) do a through cleaning before you shoot the rifle. The Surplusrifle.com site has a lot of info on cleaning off cosmoline for these rifles.

Also remember that all milsurp ammo is generally corrosive and you have to clean the rifle after each shooting session to remove the corrosive salts in the milsurp ammo primers. The corrosive salts are left behind in the bore and on the bolt face and must be removed to prevent damage to the rifle. Just do a search for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo for some good methods. the Surplusrifle.com site has a lot od info on this issue as well.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have two of them. an M44, and a 91/30. I simply love these rifles. I have not modified them in any way at all, and I dont plan to. If I do, it will be something that can be easily reversed. I may be another of each to do that kind of stuff to. My thinking is, they are so much fun to shoot as is, I dont feel the need to run off and do stuff to them. That said. I wouldnt mind playing with a scoped version, and experimenting with other things, as long as the rifle retains its basic framework.

Anyway, I never use corrosive ammo in mine, and I usually shoot either Winchester softpoint, or Prvi Partizan fmj bt 182 gr through them. I have yet to have any issues with either ammo.

Be sure and give it a thorough cleaning, as im sure you know. pay particular attention to disassembling the bolt, and cleaning it, snap pics of it before you take it apart, if you have to.

Have 4 of them and tempted to buy more. Why? Because they are a great deal and you can give them to people when the stuff hits the fan or use them to trade down the road so to speak!
    My first was an all matching 1945 M44 for $25. Yup, $25. Never will forget that deal. Next was a 1916 model 91. It shoots about as good as any rifle I have ever owned. Then, onto a 91/30 and a pristine Polish M44 that fitted with a cheap Simmons LER scope, will hit a playing card at 200 yards. No brag, no exaggeration.....from the bench it will do it with good ammo.

Anyway, clean the bore really well. These rifles have the reputation of a sticky chamber. That comes from the lacquer finish metling off of the ammo and sticking to the chamber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links