An anti comes around

This is a discussion on An anti comes around within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have to share this, I've been smiling about it all day! So we had planned on visiting some friends from college today. My big ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An anti comes around

An anti comes around

I have to share this, I've been smiling about it all day!

So we had planned on visiting some friends from college today. My big bro and little sis from the fraternity days. Since the last time we were up I have begun carrying regularly. I was trying to figure out how I was going to approach this with my friend's wife, who does not like guns. We have talked guns a couple of times, but just out of respect for our friendship it has been mostly off limits. She has always know that I have guns. She knows I carry now. As far as reasons, I will say that she has an understandable reason to not like guns. In high school her now husband was carjacked at gunpoint and forced to drive around for about 2 hrs. Then left on a road and the BG stole the car. Crazy story.

So, in mentally preparing for the visit I had decided to carry while we were out and about, then lock it in the car at their home. I know all the comments that get kicked around, but it's a very safe area. I had no real issues doing it, just an inconvenience.

I called them to let them know we were headed there way, about 1 1/2hr drive. My friend text's me a pic, OF HIS WIFE SHOOTING!!!! My mouth fell open and I started laughing. I showed the pic to my wife and she had the same stunned reaction. So I grabbed a couple pistols to take up for her to look at.

Showed her 3 pistols. Talked gun safety. Talked about guns are only as dangerous or evil as the person who is holding them. No more, no less. Talked self defense. She asked me about CCP's and firearm costs.

I carried the entire time. No questions asked.

I see a group trip to the range in the future. I don't think she is looking to go all out, buy a gun, and carry. But the mystery and perceived evil of guns are gone for her. And she had a great time at the range.

One down.......
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

Congrats! That's great, we were over at some friends last night and his wife called me a gun nut. Some people just never get it. I just explained that I take protecting my family very seriously and wish that I had no reson to carry. I would be a "gun nut" if I carried and looked forward to the days I got to use it on some one. I'm glad your friends wife came around, when people actually take the time to learn about gun ownership and handling they come around

good luck on the future range trips, sounds like fun

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I have to share this, I've been smiling about it all day!

As far as reasons, I will say that she has an understandable reason to not like guns. In high school her now husband was carjacked at gunpoint and forced to drive around for about 2 hrs. Then left on a road and the BG stole the car. Crazy story.
    To me that "is" a good reason to carry!

Glad she has decided to warm up to defending herself!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

My wife invited a group of her friends to the range on ladies night. Amongst them were a few anti's. Once they saw how many women actually shoot, and realized how much fun shooting can be, they were hooked.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    As far as reasons, I will say that she has an understandable reason to not like guns. In high school her now husband was carjacked at gunpoint and forced to drive around for about 2 hrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    That is one of the reasons that I do carry, a few years ago, before I carried, I was in the exact same place that her husband was in. I drove him around for a few hours, lost $180, and my car for three weeks, car was discovered, luckily for me relativity undamaged.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    That's great, we were over at some friends last night and his wife called me a gun nut.
    I usually reply back with, "No, I'm a safety nut, I want to keep me and my family safe, and this is one of my tools to make sure that everyone does stays safe.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    I usually reply back with, "No, I'm a safety nut, I want to keep me and my family safe, and this is one of my tools to make sure that everyone does stays safe.
    Excellent reply!

Kewel story and great responses. Here's hoping that we can all convert at least one Anti in the month of June.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Very nice. Always good to wake someone up a little.

Groovy man. Perhaps a little time to reflect on the realities of life brought her to a mature place regarding personal safety and responsibility.

If someone calls me a gun nut (a term that irritates me to some degree), I usually reply with, "I may be a car nut, a golf nut, and a music nut, but guns are just a safety device like a seat belt, smoke detector, or fire extinguisher. I wish I didn't need them, I hope I never use them, but I'm not willing to take the chance to find out I'm wrong."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sounds like a pleasant surprise...another member in the SD club.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    Excellent reply!
    Thanks Grady!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If someone calls me a gun nut (a term that irritates me to some degree), I usually reply with, "I may be a car nut, a golf nut, and a music nut, but guns are just a safety device like a seat belt, smoke detector, or fire extinguisher. I wish I didn't need them, I hope I never use them, but I'm not willing to take the chance to find out I'm wrong."
    That is a good reply too.

Every time that an anti is brought around, it brings back to life one of the kittens that were killed for every time that, well, you know...........

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post

Glad she has decided to warm up to defending herself!
    Yeah, that's always been my thought too.

And I forgot the mention that the shooting was on one of their date nights. Too cool.

My wife is trying to talk her into looking at a shotgun for their house.

And another cool part. My wife was talking to her about shooting. Woman to woman is good. My wife told her that she had felt a little odd shooting at first. Then she started thinking about the BG trying to get at our kids, and that is what she is thinking when she is shooting. I guess that would explain some of the nice groups she has been getting. It made me feel warm and fuzzy!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Turning fearful and ignorant AG's around is the primary reason my wife and I like doing WOT events.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links