Colt commander: Failure to lock

This is a discussion on Colt commander: Failure to lock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So ive had a few colts in the past, never an issue. I just traded in my new agent for a colt commander. Brand new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt commander: Failure to lock

Colt commander: Failure to lock

So ive had a few colts in the past, never an issue. I just traded in my new agent for a colt commander. Brand new in the box. I took her out and put 400 rounds through it. Fed and fired each and every one. just as i would expect.

However, every once in a while, with both factory colt mags. The slide would fail to lock. I would have to grab the mag and pull it out. If i re-inserted the mag and manipulated the slide manually, it still wouldnt lock.

I didnt get a pic of it, but the follower is sliding OVER the lock tab. Looks like it has a rather small contact patch, and it just slides off the slide lock tab and sits off to the side of it.

So....Bad mags, or a bad follower?

2. Remove Ads

I've heard of a similar problem with the mag catch being machined a little bit too high resulting in a higher position of the mag in the magwell, so that could be it.

mag problem. the mag follower is what pushes the mag catch to the lock position. clean and check the mags.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Lead Moderator
    Also the mag should obviously drop free.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    You say it is brand new and giving you problems already. I would call Colt and talk to them about it. It should be under warranty. If it is the magazines they may send you two new magazines in exchange for the current ones. They may want you to send them the pistol amd magazines so they can be inspected, and repair if required. I know you will be out a pistol for a while but why should you be required to pay for a repair on a new gun. Colt's phone number is 800- 236-6311. Hope the solution is simple and quick.

Try some wilson combat 47D mags first,sometimes cheap mag followers don't engage the slide lock,I've had to bend some up a little to engage the slide lock
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    The first thing I would do is try another mag like a Wilson or a CobraMag.

I'd call Colt also. Explain the problem and see if they will just send you out a new slide stop/release or send you 2 new magazines.

If not then you could just pop in an Ed Brown slide stop.
    Doing that usually will fix that problem in a big hurry since it's a bit beefier.

Thanks for the suggestions, ill call colt and see what they say. I really dont want to send it in since the guns runs great, but i will if i have to. The thing is that the problem is intermittent. out of many mags changed, it probably happened 5 or 6 times. The mags drop free most of the time, its just everyonce in a while it decides to jam up.

I would just go out and get some more mags.You will need more mags anyway.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Administrator
    Yepper, Save those Colt mags for the range and carry WILSON or equivalent in quality.

Sometimes with a new pistol a slide will fail to lock back because the recoil spring is new and overly stiff but, in your case it sure seems more of a slide release issue.

BTW if you do decide to opt for an Ed Brown slide stop and it doesn't work out for any reason you can simply return it for a full refund if you buy it from Brownell's.
    It's never a hassle w/ Brownell's.

Small update, bought myself some goodies. Wilson combat magwell, winson combat mags, and chip mccormick mags.

First of all, the magwell makes a big difference, was a pain to install however as it seems too narrow for the frame? Well, its on now, but not without some marring on the bottom of my gripframe. Whatever, im not wirred about.

Gun still fails to lock. With any mag i can slip it in, slide it back, and usually it will work, but occasionally the follower slips over the slide lock tab and the same problem occurs..

Looks like ill be calling colt afterall.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know about this. I see so much of this on the forums. Guy buys a brand new Colt and everyone says go buy this and that and it will take care of the problem. Is there something about a 1911 that requires it to have special. custom-made mags, slide releases, etc.? Doesn't anyone makes one that simply works out of the box? The more I see of this, the less a 1911 appeals to me. I just can't see buying a new handgun "+ parts."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. Your Commander needs a new slide stop. The lug that engages the magazine follower is too short, allowing the follower to slip past it. That's a double whammy, because, as you've discovered, it not only fails to lock the slide back, but also sticks the mag in the gun. I've had the best results with Ed Brown and Wilson forged slide stops. Either one may or may not be a drop-in fit, but they usually are.

Your mag well needs to be fitted properly, too. If it is overlapping the mag well in the frame, sooner or later it will cause a problem. Many Wilson "drop-in" parts, aren't.

oldvet, like i said ive had a few differenty colts in the past. Between myself and my father weve probably had 9. Every single one has performed flawlessly since the day they were removed from the box, except this one.

sleipnir: Thanks for the post. thats what i figured the problem was but couldnt find any similiar problems anywhere. Also, the magwell is the cheap version that slides over the grip screw bushings. The problem was that the wings that slide over the frame seemed a little too narrow. Ive never done any modifications to any handgun before so its nice to know now that "drop-in" parts dont always work.

I simply had to give it a little persuasion. Doing so kinda scratched up the bottom of my frame (cosmetic). But its not any worse than the marks i was making botching my reloads ;)

I had this same problem with the Checkmate mags that came with my CBOB. Follower would slip to the side. I bought a Wilson 47D...works every time. Dan Wesson did replace both mags...still had the problem...they just sent me a new slide stop, I'm curious to find out if the slide stop will make a difference with the factory mags. If not...no big deal the Wilsons work great. Have you tried different magazines?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links