.22 LR Rifle...Bolt, Auto, Pump or AR Type Gun

This is a discussion on .22 LR Rifle...Bolt, Auto, Pump or AR Type Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which type .22 Rifle do you prefer to shoot or have in your gun stash. Is what you have your first choice or would you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR Rifle...Bolt, Auto, Pump or AR Type Gun

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar

.22 LR Rifle...Bolt, Auto, Pump or AR Type Gun

Which type .22 Rifle do you prefer to shoot or have in your gun stash. Is what you have your first choice or would you get a different type? Also what brand rifle to you own and why did you choose it? Thanks,
    Last edited by scgunlover1; June 1st, 2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Added another question
    SCGunLover1

2. Remove Ads

Ruger 10/22.

Affordable.

Fun.

Customizable.

It's becoming the American classic .22

It is and will always be my first choice.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Bolt. CZ rimfires are way more gun for the money than any other product out there. They are great rifles.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Rimfire ammo tends to have a lot of duds, especially the cheaper bulk packs.

For this reason, I prefer a bolt action rifle in .22. A lever or pump would be fine as well.

I own both a Ruger M77 bolt rifle in .22, and a 10/22 semi auto.

Some day soon, I will use that bolt rifle to teach my kids to shoot.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I like my .22 bolt guns.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I have a Mossberg Model 42, bolt action, magazine fed (7 rd.) It was a hand me down from my GrandFather, and when he is old enough, it will belong to my son. I love this rifle, hadn't been loaded in 15+ years, I took it out and it drove tacks, with iron sights, at 25 yards (my eyes are horrible, I'm not much good past that without a scope and I dont want to drill the rifle).

I would like to get my hands on a Henry .22 Lever action. Looks like a fun little plinker.

Ruger 10/22.

Affordable.

Fun.

Customizable.
    I've heard great things about Ruger 10/22, and I love Ruger, so, can't go wrong there either.

Also, I would like to take out a Walther G22... those look like a blast too.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Henry LEVER ACTION!!! Fun to shoot and buttery smooth. If you get a dud, just rack the lever and keep going.

If you prefer a pump, get a Remington pump 22.

Either of these is a blast to shoot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Sig 522 and GSG MP 5 clone.
    Close as I can get to my SIG 556 and MP 5 type weapons for training.
    Can teach the kids and wife on them then move them up to full size later on.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I like 'em all. I've got bolts, levers, and semi's. I can't say I like one better than the other.

I don't care much for the AR style 22's, but then I don't care much for black rifles period, so that doesn't surprise me.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

My favorite is a Remington bolt. Great trigger. My 10/22 is a good gun with lots of after market goodies, I'm just not interested in sinking any money into it right now. My wife loves the Browning Lever Action. My next 22 will probably be a Henry Lever Action.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

My "hands down, first choice" goes to the 10/22, if you had to have just one to serve several roles (fun, hunting, part of the bug-out armory). They run like the Energizer bunny and they're plenty accurate out of the box.

However - my first modern .22 was a 77/22 that's been lightly tweaked by CPC, and it's a sweet-handling gun (and a complement to my M77). Next came three 10/22s, all modified to varying degrees.

The current rimfire lust is for a CZ452 American in .22 mag... as atctimmy pointed out, CZ rimfire bolt guns are an excellent value.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have a Savage Mod 64 and a S&W M&P 15-22. If you like AR's and the price of 22 ammo, the M&P 15-22 is a ton of fun.

Marlin 22 magnum bolty

I just picked up a Savage Mark II FVT (the target version). The gun comes with an "Accutrigger", 20" bull barrel, target sights and is drilled and tapped for a scope. It uses a five round detachable box magazine (and I assume the ten round mags will fit fine as well). The rifle is actually quite light and an absolute tack driver. I removed the large disk aperture and replaced it with a standard hunting size. By using a blade insert in the globe front sight, the sight picture is a lot like my receiver sighted lever guns. I really, really like this little rifle!

PC

When I was a teenager, I had a Marlin 39A lever action .22 rifle. I still regret selling that great gun, even though I've since acquired a Marlin 336 30-30. Something about the lever gun, and it was stone reliable and accurate!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links