Ruger GP100 4"

This is a discussion on Ruger GP100 4" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure how to post huge pics, but here you go in the light, apparently here im carrying some CCI SnakeShot and some Hornady LeverEvolution ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger GP100 4"

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Not sure how to post huge pics, but here you go in the light, apparently here im carrying some CCI SnakeShot and some Hornady LeverEvolution .357 mags. Oh and my Cold Steel American Lawman.
    Attached Images
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    It is a GP100. look at the sights....

Excellent gun. Easy to shoot +P or 357. Reliable, 6 shots and solid feel.
    Ditto. I have the same gun, bought new in 1989. I will never sell it; my oldest son will inherit it someday.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    For you GP100 owners out there, what are your opinions and do you sometimes shoot .38 specials out of them as well or stick strictly to .357 loads?
    I have this gun, bought new in 1989. It is rock solid. The only modification I made to it was to install Tritium night sights.

It handles .357 magnums no problem, of course, and .38 spl +p are pussycats in this firearm.

It is possible to carry it concealed, especially here in Michigan in the winters. It's also a great woods gun. It goes with me deer hunting, fishing and camping. It's also my go-to home defense handgun, and my 'car gun' on long driving vacations.

I am guessing the reason you don't see many on the used market is simply because, like me, most owners would sooner sell one of their kids!

Indeed

I had the chance to handle one before. A KGP 161, that's the 6 inch model in stainless. The finish was around 300 to 400 grit. Great balance for being a six inch revolver with full under lug.

The thing that really surprised me, soon as I picked it up: easily the most comfortable handgun grip I'd ever held, hands down. I almost bought it based on that the moment I picked it up.

I would quite honestly like to see Ruger manufacture their proprietary GP 100 series revolver grips: to fit other popular revolvers. They were that comfortable. I'd pay somewhere between $60-$80 for such a product.

Quote Originally Posted by BadJudgment View Post
    The thing that really surprised me, soon as I picked it up: easily the most comfortable handgun grip I'd ever held, hands down. I almost bought it based on that the moment I picked it up.

I would quite honestly like to see Ruger manufacture their proprietary GP 100 series revolver grips: to fit other popular revolvers. They were that comfortable. I'd pay somewhere between $60-$80 for such a product.
    I guess now they're putting the Hogue grip on it - this seemed like a mistake to me. I like the original, and would never change it.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    It's a GP100, I have the duplicate. I've had my 4 inch for geez, it's been many, many years, I shoot 38s through it constantly. That's why I'm relunctant to give up on my 3 inch GP100 even after my initial problem with it due to the durability of my 4 inch after all these years.

Good choice of revolvers my friend.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I don't know, it looks a lot more macho on a rough piece of burlap or something instead of that fancy doily...RETAKE! (Gun looks great though!)

The Ruger GP100 has become my favorite .357 Magnum Revolver.

Sadly the Lett Company, the manufacturer of those stocks, are out of business. They made what I consider the best handgun stock for a revolver. I won't be taking mine of the Rugers I own.

Biker

You can't go wrong with a GP100. I have had a 4 inch for 15 years or so. Well really it is the wifes since she liked it so much. Never a problem, and you can shoot some really hot stuff out of them.

38 sp shoot fine out of them. She will using 38's week after next to qualify for her Texas CHL Instructor course. They are probably a bit heavy for daily carry, but make great guns for kicking around in the woods, or home defense and range use.

The gun shop I use had a 4 inch GP 100 that had been shot 4 times for 425 a month or so ago, I am certain it is long gone.

Good luck, if you do get one you won't regret it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I love mine and will hopefully never get rid of it. However, rear sight movement makes it impossible to 'zero'. To take full advantage of the capabilities of this gun, I will have to replace the rear sight with the Bowen Rough Country.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links