If you came late to guns and carry, what brought you over?

This is a discussion on If you came late to guns and carry, what brought you over? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you are like me, and didn't buy your first gun until way into adulthood, or you had one but started carrying much later, what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you came late to guns and carry, what brought you over?

If you are like me, and didn't buy your first gun until way into adulthood, or you had one but started carrying much later, what made you start?

I didn't buy my first gun until I was 53. I'm female, and there were no guns that I ever knew of in my house when I was growing up. They weren't discussed - at all. I was raised in a working-class poor neighborhood.

When I was a young teen, my parents visited a friend in another state who had long guns. My father and his friend had them out and were looking at them. I reached to touch one, and they both shouted at me not to. I understand now, of course, but neither one of these men offered to explain anything, teach me anything, or let me shoot them. I guess I figured it was one of those "man-things" that I should have no interest in.

I lived by myself for several years before marrying, and had a few scary incidents along the way. Then married for 20 years, with my husband having two revolvers in the house.

Why did I wait so long?

Part of it was the typical "It will probably never happen to me" -- because nothing had, for a couple of decades.

Part of it was a general ignorance of guns, and the masculine (and "redneck") aura around them that I had picked up from society. I was *very* uncomfortable at the thought of walking into a very different society than the one I lived in.

Part of it was ignorance of how seldom the police could get to you in time to actually *prevent* a crime, not just pick up after one.

Part of it was shooting my husband's two small revolvers - way too much recoil! And I didn't know of any other options, of any other guns. (Pre-internet, remember.) I figured all guns hurt like that, and it wouldn't be worth it to try anything different.

A little bit of it was "Oh, he'll protect me." (I know, I know.)

I was ignorant to the hilt. Ignorant of guns, of situational awareness, of what the police can and can't do, and I was pretty sheltered. And no one, no one, really offered to change that. And since I was ignorant of my ignorance, I didn't think about needing to learn what I didn't know I needed to learn.

In 2008 I was divorced, and my 3 kids and I were living in a not-very-good apartment complex. I knew I wasn't safe, but there was a wall of ignorance and fear surrounding guns that was very hard to climb over by myself.

What made me change, *really*, was that my son, when he turned 21, bought one. I bought my first gun a week later, when he went with me.

Here was someone, right at hand, whom I could at least learn *with* - if not from, and whom I could trust not to laugh at me for my ignorance, or my decision to protect myself. (My ex husband thinks we're both paranoid.) Here was someone who would share my interest. Here was someone I could talk to about it, and go to the range with. This was really the first opportunity in my many decades, of learning some of the same stuff most of you grew up with.

When I first started typing this, I was just curious about other people's stories.

Now, I guess it boils down to this: there are a lot of people out there similar to me, and it might behoove us to help them along. I wish someone had helped feed my curiosity at age 14, when I first showed an interest, or taught me at 31, when I didn't know a handgun didn't have to hurt.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

VIP Member
    I am 49 yr.s old .Have owned firearms since I was 14. First handgun, at 20.
    Started carrying in 2009.Have 4 kids and a wife. They all know how to shoot the handguns and .22's at the very least, except the littlest one.Hes five, and with the cost of ammo I;m in no hurry to foster his desires, untill later.
    Should have got my CPL in 2001 when Mi. began issuing them at will, but ahh, complacentcy
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I wanted to carry in MI, but permits were not shall issue in 2000. Moved to FL in 2000 and immediately applied for my permit.
    Obvious events in the news were a cause for concern, and I did not want to travel around without some way to defend myself.
    Over the years, getting additional training has made me very aware of my surroundings. DC has also provided 'tons' of info on firearms, laws, and SD/HD in general...always more to learn.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    If you are like me, and didn't buy your first gun until way into adulthood, or you had one but started carrying much later, what made you start?

I didn't buy my first gun until I was 53. I'm female, and there were no guns that I ever knew of in my house when I was growing up. They weren't discussed - at all. I was raised in a working-class poor neighborhood.

When I was a young teen, my parents visited a friend in another state who had long guns. My father and his friend had them out and were looking at them. I reached to touch one, and they both shouted at me not to. I understand now, of course, but neither one of these men offered to explain anything, teach me anything, or let me shoot them. I guess I figured it was one of those "man-things" that I should have no interest in.

I lived by myself for several years before marrying, and had a few scary incidents along the way. Then married for 20 years, with my husband having two revolvers in the house.

Why did I wait so long?

Part of it was the typical "It will probably never happen to me" -- because nothing had, for a couple of decades.

Part of it was a general ignorance of guns, and the masculine (and "redneck") aura around them that I had picked up from society. I was *very* uncomfortable at the thought of walking into a very different society than the one I lived in.

Part of it was ignorance of how seldom the police could get to you in time to actually *prevent* a crime, not just pick up after one.

Part of it was shooting my husband's two small revolvers - way too much recoil! And I didn't know of any other options, of any other guns. (Pre-internet, remember.) I figured all guns hurt like that, and it wouldn't be worth it to try anything different.

A little bit of it was "Oh, he'll protect me." (I know, I know.)

I was ignorant to the hilt. Ignorant of guns, of situational awareness, of what the police can and can't do, and I was pretty sheltered. And no one, no one, really offered to change that. And since I was ignorant of my ignorance, I didn't think about needing to learn what I didn't know I needed to learn.

In 2008 I was divorced, and my 3 kids and I were living in a not-very-good apartment complex. I knew I wasn't safe, but there was a wall of ignorance and fear surrounding guns that was very hard to climb over by myself.

What made me change, *really*, was that my son, when he turned 21, bought one. I bought my first gun a week later, when he went with me.

Here was someone, right at hand, whom I could at least learn *with* - if not from, and whom I could trust not to laugh at me for my ignorance, or my decision to protect myself. (My ex husband thinks we're both paranoid.) Here was someone who would share my interest. Here was someone I could talk to about it, and go to the range with. This was really the first opportunity in my many decades, of learning some of the same stuff most of you grew up with.

When I first started typing this, I was just curious about other people's stories.

Now, I guess it boils down to this: there are a lot of people out there similar to me, and it might behoove us to help them along. I wish someone had helped feed my curiosity at age 14, when I first showed an interest, or taught me at 31, when I didn't know a handgun didn't have to hurt.
    Well young lady, you and I have a few things in common...right down to your signature.

The most prominent reasons for me were not fully understanding my rights under the law and a general misunderstanding of gun ownership. I had prejudices of the typical gun owner that didn't fit many of the people that I was meeting. These people were like me. Also, people on sites like DC, Cornered Cat and Black Gun Owners Forum forced me to see guns from a different point of view.

I'm just a regular 52 year old guy with one wife, one dog, one cat and one daughter that chose to be better prepared.

I recieved my permit about two weeks ago, got some formal tactical defensive handgun training (more to come) and now own and legally carry a Glock19. No big deal
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I was 31 when I bought my first pistol, and 33 before I got my permit.

Honestly, It was the evening news that brought me over. There are too many stories to list, and most, if not all could have had a completely different outcome if the victim had been in possession of a firearm for defense.

I have always been a fan of shooting sports, but I wore blinders and said "I'll never need one, I have nothing to worry about, I can take care of myself without a gun." To be honest, I feel I can defend my self without a gun, but no fist, elbow, knee, wrist llock, foot, pocket knife, pepper spray, stun gun, baton, or any ammount of "SA" is fail proof, nor is a gun. But with a gun, there is one less *weak point* in the armor.

So, I have come around. Now, I carry as often as I can, where ever I can, and hope I never need to use it.

*My post was auto edited because I used the word c_h_i_n_k, not as a cultural slur, but as a weak point.*
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    I wish someone had helped feed my curiosity at age 14, when I first showed an interest, or taught me at 31, when I didn't know a handgun didn't have to hurt.
    I'm so glad you finally found someone to help you become educated about firearms. They are tools to be used and respected but not feared.

I'm sorry your dad didn't recognize your interest when you were 14. To think of all the decades of gun fun that was denied you, it's truly sad. And I'm sorry your ex didn't give you the opportunity to try other handguns with less recoil.

I'm thankful you have a son who gets it. Welcome to the monkey house.

Barack Obama, the greatest gun salesman since Henry Winchester. I used to do a lot of varmint/long range rifle when I was younger, but I had sold it after a few years of marriage because I didn't use it anymore. As we looked at what was coming, the wife decided maybe we should get a gun or two. So we did- one or two a month for a while!
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I could go into exhaustive detail, as others have. However, the simplest answer is: I grew up.

-JT

VIP Member
    Boring tale, but you asked.

Grew up like you, we never had guns around and never really talked about them. I was always a big kid for my age and was always the one punks felt they had to whup on to prove themselves. I learned to deal with them the hard way and quickly became confident in my ability to take care of myself with my bare hands.

In college it wasn't as bad, but I'm really a book-geek and still had my share of bad run-ins. Well, time passes and after a couple of accidents and injuries, a little arthritis, and a few more pounds than I really like, I decided that I just wasn't as ready to rumble as I once was. I still feel that I can handle most issues without escalating, but I'm just not as willing to take a beating if I'm wrong.

Also, after 9-11, the Big Black-out, and Katrina I kept telling myself I needed to up my personal self-defense. One thing or another and I pushed things to the back burner and eventually "forgot" about it. Then Obama came on the scene (I was 37) and I finally kicked myself in the posterior and jumped in the wild, roaring sea of handguns and armed self defense.

The thing is, I never thought I would enjoy shooting and training with a firearm. It was just a skill I wanted, sort of like learning CPR. I never thought I would LOVE punching holes in paper and making steel go "Clang!" and just pushing myself to higher levels in this way.

Well, that is my story. Like I said, boring, but you asked for it.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

Distinguished Member
    I grew up with rifles and shooting with my dad, but while I enjoyed shooting when I got out on my own I didn't bother getting my own guns. I always liked them, had no problem being around them or others that had them but just didn't see a need of my own. Plus where I live the process is long and difficult and since I live in a relatively safe area I just couldn't be bothered. Then after a few local incidents (and nothing violent either) and probably a few too many episodes of Gangland I really started to understand it can happen anywhere anytime. So at 6 months ago I got my paperwork together, bought my first handgun and received my permit. Now I'm out to get as many non-res permits as possible.

Albuquerque

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I grew up with rifles and shooting with my dad, but while I enjoyed shooting when I got out on my own I didn't bother getting my own guns. I always liked them, had no problem being around them or others that had them but just didn't see a need of my own. Plus where I live the process is long and difficult and since I live in a relatively safe area I just couldn't be bothered. Then after a few local incidents (and nothing violent either) and probably a few too many episodes of Gangland I really started to understand it can happen anywhere anytime. So at 6 months ago I got my paperwork together, bought my first handgun and received my permit. Now I'm out to get as many non-res permits as possible.
    While you are at it, could you please write to Albany and ask them to allow non-res permit holders for New York State? I have family there and never want to go "Home" because I cannot bring my gun with me.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I was never exposed to any sort of real firearm when I was a kid. I had a BB gun but that only lasted a few months after I wanted to see how it worked and took it apart.

When I moved to Santa Fe, NM in 1993 I purchased my first Glock 17 at Walmart at the age of 23. After about 2 years I sold it once I had moved to Albuquerque since I needed a new pair of hockey skates. Ice skating and playing ice hockey is like crack to me so it was easy to part with the Glock for a nice new pair of CCM 652's which I still have to this day. Been threw 4 sets of blades though and the 5th pair well go on next year.

Well 16 years later, having a daughter and remembering how much I enjoyed carrying and shooting crept back into my mind so I went and purchase another G17 and 10 days later I purchased the G27.

Now I have my permit, carry everyday unless I'm doing a repair job at a school, which sucks but I'd rather be unarmed for a few hours than unarmed for the rest of my life.

I will never sell my Glocks ever again and I hope to carry until the day that I die.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    While you are at it, could you please write to Albany and ask them to allow non-res permit holders for New York State? I have family there and never want to go "Home" because I cannot bring my gun with me.

Grew up in a "no guns" household in NOLA, but bought my first handgun when I turned 21 and carried in my vehicle, got a permit as soon as it was legal - almost 20 yrs later. Dad still doesn't understand, mom might - sort of.

Glad you chose the red pill, without having to go through a major incident to wake up - lots better than when others realize the truth.

Unfortunately your experience is being repeated over and over and over, even with access to all the info on the net.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links