Am I eligible to own a suppressor?

This is a discussion on Am I eligible to own a suppressor? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering if I'm still eligible to own a pistol suppressor? I ask as some you here know I was arrested for two felony ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I eligible to own a suppressor?

Am I eligible to own a suppressor?

I was wondering if I'm still eligible to own a pistol suppressor? I ask as some you here know I was arrested for two felony counts last year. However the state did not file criminal charge against me and my arrest record is in the process of being expunged.

since this legal mess has been cleaned up,I've purchased guns from my local FFL and have had my carry permit returned. So is being legally eligible to buy/own a gun and get a carry permit all that is needed to have a class 3 weapon or item,or can my past arrest be used by ATF to DQ me from this? I hope not as i was really wanting a Walther P22 with a suppressor on it for cheap shooting fun,thanks for any help on this.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

YES you are!! so go check em out! a whole lotta quiet! Gemtec is a good one as are the awc supressors.......A signed Form 4 recent pasport photos fingerprint cards, and 200.00 to Uncle Sam NFA Branch and you're good to go
    The Gemtec anphibian is a good choice for that Walther.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

Angry Are you kidding me!?

No way am I paying Uncle Sam $200 just so my gun can go Phuuuut. If I didn't want my .45 ACP to make noise, I'd get a water pistol!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    No way am I paying Uncle Sam $200 just so my gun can go Phuuuut. If I didn't want my .45 ACP to make noise, I'd get a water pistol!
    Here in Washington state, it would be $200 for something to just look at. We can legally own them, but are prohibited from actually using them. Stupid law.

Plus if you're going to make a silenced gun, you should at least put it on something that can be more effectively silenced like 9mm!
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

I don't like the idea of paying $200 to BAFTE for it, but I can see a good use for it. On the off chance I ever have to use my pistol in defense of my home, it would be nice to have. I've fired in an enclosed space before, and it sucks. It would suck even more in a situation where I'm trying to eliminate a threat and do crowd contol for the wife and kids.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Sound suppressor is the best hearing protection money can buy even with the stupid transfer tax. Funny our vehicles, lawn mowers are mandated to have a muffler but firearm mufflers, which are much louder and much more of a public noise nuisance, are heavily restricted and taxed.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

One good use for it...for me anyway...
    It keeps from ******* off the neighbors. I can shoot all day long with my little gemtech and no one is the wiser...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Sound suppressor is the best hearing protection money can buy even with the stupid transfer tax. Funny our vehicles, lawn mowers are mandated to have a muffler but firearm mufflers, which are much louder and much more of a public noise nuisance, are heavily restricted and taxed.
    Mufflers are required on vehicles with gasoline engines to protect the environment from greenhouse gasses, not to reduce sound.

However, I agree that there is no good reason to make silencers so difficult to get especially when they make your neighbors happy.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    However, I agree that there is no good reason to make silencers so difficult to get especially when they make your neighbors happy.
    I'd guess politicians watch too many movies. That's just my theory though.

Mufflers are required on vehicles with gasoline engines to protect the environment from greenhouse gasses, not to reduce sound
    Um, no. Mufflers are to reduce sound, not for pollution control.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Mufflers are required on vehicles with gasoline engines to protect the environment from greenhouse gasses, not to reduce sound.

Whoa there, partner.
    Mufflers suppress sounds (muffler=muffles sounds), not emissions. Catalytic converters handle the gases. Take your muffler off and you'll get a ticket for excessive noise, not gases. Take your Cat. converter off and the EPA will want to talk to you, and your local NC inspection station will flunk your car.

On another note, ever wonder why it's almost impossible to find those cheap, generic clamp-on small engine mufflers these days? Because they worked as suppressors also!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Plus if you're going to make a silenced gun, you should at least put it on something that can be more effectively silenced like 9mm!
    But .45s remain sub-sonic, unlike regular 9mm ammo in regular barrel length guns.
    And, I can use my Silencerco Osprey off my .45 on .40 & 9mm with the proper piston change.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

So you guys think a 9mm/.45 of some sort would be a better choice? who makes threaded drop in barrels for a Walther P99 compact,Glock or a 1911 for use with a suppressor? I've read the 1911 is good choice for a suppressor because the barrel doesn't tilt upon recoil,is this true?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    But .45s remain sub-sonic, unlike regular 9mm ammo in regular barrel length guns.
    And, I can use my Silencerco Osprey off my .45 on .40 & 9mm with the proper piston change.
    I haven't shot either silenced so I can't speak from experience. I have simply heard that the .45's don't silence well (even though they are subsonic) because they have a larger barrel diameter. I have heard that if you want good silenced performance you should use a special subsonic 9mm round.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links