When did we become French?

This is a discussion on When did we become French? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Read this first: KSTP.com - 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS U of M student shot while riding her bike Updated: 06/07/2006 05 29 PM A 26-year-old University ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Read this first:

KSTP.com - 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS
    U of M student shot while riding her bike
    Updated: 06/07/2006 0529 PM

A 26-year-old University of Minnesota graduate student has a BB lodged in her leg after she was shot Wednesday while riding her bike in south Minneapolis.

The Shot rang out around 9:45 a.m. at Bloomington Ave. and 31st St. E. Police think the shots came from a nearby house. Police are still looking for the gun and more evidence.

There was a brief standoff at the house after the shooting. Police closed a portion of Bloomington Ave. and even called in the SWAT team. They eventually arrested four people that they believe were involved with the shooting.

Anna Selmecki was simply doing what she does every day--riding her bike to class at the U of M.

"To have this kind of violence affect me is very unnerving," she told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS. Selmecki said she considers herself very lucky to not be seriously injured.

She was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center and released. She will not have to have surgery, but she said doctors decided to leave the BB in her leg.

Meanwhile, neighbors watched the morning police frenzy.

"This is scary," said neighbor Chris Knudsen. "I got six kids and they run around here all the time."

OK, I know getting hit with a BB is painful. I know the idiot that shot her needs some kind of punishment. I've had it happen plenty when I was a kid but come on, they called out a SWAT team in response for crying out loud? You've got to be kidding me. Ralphie's mother would have washed out their mouths with soap. We are becoming such a candy-you-know-what society it turns my stomach.

When did a shot from a BB gun, "ring out"? They sound like a guy with a lisp spitting, they don't ring out. And this girl is being affected by "this kind of violence". Good grief, I say let's send her off to Bagdad so she can see what real violence is like for pete's sake.

God help this country if this is how we react to a BB gun is all I have to say.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Lead Moderator
    While I do agree that it would appear the SWAT Team may be an over reaction, I do think that the "shooter" surely does need to be charged with something.

I personally can't condone shooting at someone for "fun" (Not counting something like paintball) for any reason.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    .......................you mean we aren't French???

Sacre bleu!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    While whoever did the shooting needs to be punished, I also agree calling the SWAT team was a bit excessive.

Way back when, my piano teacher was shot in the temple by some kid wielding a BB gun. She felt a sting and didn't even realize she was shot until she squeezed the BB out. A little bit to the right, and it would've taken her eye out.

When we were young, my brother and I were shot at by the neighbor's kid armed with a BB gun. He missed. We resolved the situation by staging an assault and taking him out with our repeating rubberband guns. He left us alone after that.

BB guns should be handled the same as real guns.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

VIP Member
    I'll agree that in most cases, SWAT would be excessive, but we don't know anything about the house; local PD probably does. I'd guess if they were called and it ended in a stand off with 4 arrests, the house probably has a bad history. A normal house doesn't have a standoff with police.

But I agree that to say that "this kind of violence affect me is very unnerving" and be worried about your kids running around is ridiculous.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

What a waist of tax bucks, and valuble resources.

the shooter needs to be punished. calling in the swat team might have been excessive. but i don't know all the fact about the house or the members inside.

but we don't know anything about the house; local PD probably does. I'd guess if they were called and it ended in a stand off with 4 arrests, the house probably has a bad history. A normal house doesn't have a standoff with police.
    Good point, CopperKnight, frankmako.

If only the press would would focus ion the facts instead of feelings, we might get the whole picture.

Administrator
    NEWS FLASH LAtest UPDATE:

SWAT showed up armed with CO2 Powered Black Assault BB Rifles & there was a big shootout.
    They shot & hit the kid 17 times with Steel BBs & then used a Giant Magnet to forcibly extricate him from the premises.

SWAT showed up armed with CO2 Powered Black Assault BB Rifles & there was a big shootout.
    They shot & hit the kid 17 times with Steel BBs & then used a Giant Magnet to extricate him from the premises.
    Now THATS justice!

Bonus Liberal press points for using the words "Assault Rifles "

Have you ever watched the show that I think is called Texas SWAT on TV? Those guys are taking out drug dealers. Minneapolis SWAT is taking out a BB gun welding idiot.

I fully agree the shooter needs to be delt with accordingly. All guns should be handled as if they were deadly weapons. You also can't rely on the media to give us an accurate account of what was really happening. But this was a gigantic waste of tax payer money if I ever saw one.

Violent crime is suppose to be up 15 - 35% depending on whoes figures you believe. There is real crime out there and this is what they concentrate their efforts on. No wonder I carry a gun. While they are fighting BB guns the rest of us will have to fend for ourselves.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; June 14th, 2006 at 10:08 AM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Whinning AMERICANS

An "interesting" allocation of LEO resources. As misguided as the press response, as well as the "victim's" response...........

LOL

Gee, how the world has changed. We used to play "Army" with our bb guns when I was a kid, I think I've extracted a total of 5 bb's from my body during that time. Mom and Dad weren't too happy about the holes in my jacket/clothes through.

And when they found out, I was punished, BB gun taken away and my dad had a way with a belt. My butt still remembers that punishment dished out when I was caught doing stupid things.

Back in my day, if I had shot someone with a BB/Pellet gun they would have either 1) Got off their bike and whopped my behind, or 2) went and got their father/brother/husband who would have come and whopped my butt. and then 3) my father would have whopped my butt.

But we were safe, we did wear eye protection while shooting at each other, we weren't that dumb.

Wayne

So Im not the only one! What a relife.
    We used to play "Army" with our bb guns when I was a kid
    Our rules were no more than five pumps, or we used the good old Red Rider, we also aimed for non-vital areas of the body.
    I guess my generation is kinda wussy compaired to yours Wayne.

The whoopins havnt changed for us though.
    If my parents found out another adult smacked me, my parents would automaticly smack me. Withought asking why. They knew if I got whacked, I deserved it!

Now, If a parent finds out their kid got smacked by another adult. The parents file charges.

VIP Member
    Two questions about this thread. havegunjoe mentions reports that violent crime is up. Is it really or has violent crime been redefined to include being hit by a BB? Second question. What did they charge the other 3 six year olds with? A SWAT team? A stand off? Probably a kid saying, "If you come any closer I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue." The next thing you know squeezing someone's hand too hard when you shake it will be classified as a violent crime.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links