This happened in my neighboring city... Parents are now charged!

This is a discussion on This happened in my neighboring city... Parents are now charged! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When kids are around, the rules can be very simple...all guns are either on one's person or in the safe. Not a real difficult issue. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This happened in my neighboring city... Parents are now charged!

When kids are around, the rules can be very simple...all guns are either on one's person or in the safe. Not a real difficult issue.

Absolutely no excuse for this tragedy.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

Hammer /= Gun
    Accident /= Negligence

Drop a hammer and the worse that might occur is a chip in the floor or a bruised but very easy to recover from toe.
    Dropping a hammer is an 'accident', when not done purposefully.

Drop a gun, that you failed to know/remember to clear and keep the action OPEN, and you get what we got here right now.
    Dropping a firearm that you failed to check and verify as clear AND to handle with the action as being open is negligence, when not done purposefully for nefarious intent.

Accident = 1 a : an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance...2 a : an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance

Negligence = 1 b : failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances.

Negligent = 1 b : failing to exercise the care expected of a reasonably prudent person in like circumstances. 2 : marked by a carelessly easy manner.

As it goes to handling and mishandling of firearms regardless of the persons age, but especially so as related to children (!), there should be no intermingling of the term 'accident' as in the place of the act of negligence or action to be negligent.

There are no firearm related injury and deaths, as by "accident".
    They are as by negligent action and negligence of result.

Children in general have a very difficult time understanding cause and effect as related to negligence. Even as speak persons among us may have grown up acting same and survived.
    I ran into a woman last week who seemingly proudly stated that she had been smoking since age 12 and that her father had bought her cigarettes as a child (!) to the point that she was smoking two packs of Marlboro 'Reds' per day as a teen. Her words, not mine.
    Clearly she survived so as to be able to tell the tale. But is this proper in any way what so ever? No, never mind that this is how she grew up...

There are rules toward handling firearms and they are specific as well as brief, and easy to remember.
    Those of you who are or state to be supporters of if not members of the NRA and/or are as firearm instructors should know the following by heart. Same goes for most anyone else who thinks of themself to be a firearm enthusiast.

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

As well as; "Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons."

Source - NRA Gun Safety Rules

My own son is 3 yrs.old and he knows these rules by heart and can put them to practice as can my 8 yr. old daughter. Would I by that alone think okay they are then 'responsible' enough to be given free reign and access to firearms & ammunition at any time they might wish?
    Heck no!
    Why? Because I am responsible for themas their parent, and a responsible parent knows that no child can do right every time under all conditions. As they say 'Accidents happen'. Knowing this and being the responsible person I am who also loves his children, then what good reason is there for me to act as anything but responsible and to shoulder that responsibility myself rather than to pass the buck of that on to my child toward a child as with do or die conditions of result?!

I might as well start buying them cigs and beer too at age 12 or whenever they might think to request it, because ehh they are responsible enough and besides...Accidents they happen.
    Such logic is illogical, even as it is widely adopted and even accepted past to present.

Why people are willing and even purposefully set their children, who they assumedly love, up for failure makes no sense at all to me.

As I tell students when it comes to firearms and firearm safety, you get many opportunities to do things right but just one opportunity to do things wrong.

Very many adults never mind children do not and cannot understand these very simple and basic facts of life & living among firearms.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links