I just thought of something...

This is a discussion on I just thought of something... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; and yes, it did hurt abit I sometimes wonder if Liberals are their own worse enemy. Case in point: I just ordered Ann Coulter's new ...

Thread: I just thought of something...

and yes, it did hurt abit

I sometimes wonder if Liberals are their own worse enemy. Case in point:

I just ordered Ann Coulter's new book "Godless". Now, I will tell you that I don't read as much as I used to and I've never bought a so called "conservative" book before. I mean, I've had Rush, Hannity, O'Reily, etcc.. to chose from years ago to today but I never bought one (or read one).

But with the Libs/Dems howling so loudly about it, and NJ wanting to boycott it, and some of the things I've heard/read the libs/dems say about it, I just had to order a copy to read. And if they hadn't of done so my money would still be in my pocket.

This got me to thinking about the guns that I've bought. Years ago (during the Bush 1 days and when I could vote) I was perfectly happy with the guns that I had. All I had at the time was a Ruger GP-100, a Ruger P89, and a Savage 30-06. The gun store that I went into had "ebr's" and I could have gotten a NIB, still covered in cosmo, AK-47 that came with 2 30round mags, bayonet, and cleaning kit. I think it was like $200 or so, this was around 89 IIRC. I didn't buy it but I did get an M1 carbine at a later date.

I didn't even think of buying anymore firearms. Then I moved to NY (had to , change of station) and it was like moving to another country. I wasn't allowed to have my handguns, they spent two years in the armory so all I had was the M1 (I had sold the Savage). Hell, I was so naive about gun laws that I had traveled to NY with all the guns in my car , I was that "out of touch" with "American States" laws (didn't have the web back then, well, it was there but computers were about $4000 brand new but I did have a Kaypro). I didn't know that I had broken the law and luckily didn't get into trouble when I put the guns into the armory.

Anyway, Clinton came along and before the ban I was stationed to Georgia. On my way to Georgia I was without a travel firearm so when I got to Georgia I bought a .380. Yes, it was a bryco but you have to understand, I didn't have alot of money.

Then I found out that Georgia had a 3 day waiting period (at least it was better than NY but not like NM with no waiting period). So I waited three days and got my .380 which I took to base with me (I was visiting my sister and bought it while doing so).

Got to base and put the gun into the armory. Then the ban was introduced/passed but I didn't have any money at the time to buy anything.

But, during this time I bought an SKS with all the "evil" features, yes, I was looking for something like this on purpose. It had been changed with a syn. stock (folding), pistol grip, still had the bayonet lug, and it came with 30 rounds duck-billed mags. Did I really need it or want it, no (but I came to really enjoy it) but I bought it "just because".

Then I bought an AB-10. It came with a 32 round mag since the mag was before the ban. I bought a 50 round mag "just because".

Then I just starting buying guns because I didn't know how far the ban would go at a later date. All handguns, about maybe 4 or so in all.

Then the ban ended. I bought an AR-15, about 6 "leo/military only" marked mags and got an upper that had the bayonet lug (and then bought a bayonet).

When they started to demonize the SKS, I started a collection of them (got my C&R so I could get them sent directly to me) and because they had bayonets on them. I started to really buy handguns and rifles because even through the ban ended, who knows what....errr....who will get into office in 2008.

And because of what/who may get power in washington, I have on my list to get an AK-47, 10 more 30 round mags for my AR, 10 mags for my upcoming AK and SKS Sporter, more mags (over 10 rounds) for my HK .45, HP, and Glock and any other mags that I may need that are over 10 rounds.

Not to mention stock piling ammo before it is banned or the prices get any worse.

How many others have done the same thing? I mean heck, if the libs/dems hadn't made such a fuss over firearms I most likely would have still only had my Rugers and maybe a rifle and shotgun. So four firearms turned into over 25 due to the actions of the libs/dems.

Wayne

Assistant Administrator
    I'll bet if you look around and ask around - many folks did the same. All working on the basis that - if they might be limited or be banned - get em while ya can!

So therefore too true enough - without all the changes - chances are many folks might have stayed with what they had - sorta counter-productive legislation wasn't it?!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Well, the assault weapons ban sold 15 years worth of assault weapons in less than one year. People who didn't even know what an assault rifle was...went out & bought one.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

BTW, I just got Ann Coulter's book too and it's on CD. Listened to it on the way home from work tonight and it is really god. She makes a ton of sense. I just got done reading her other book "how to talk to a liberal" it was really good too. Off sub I know but hey.................
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Rugerman,

Not really off the subject. Just goes to show that the more the libs/dems howl about something, the more it becomes wanted.

And Q is right, when the ban ended there was a slew of posts about people going out and buying the new "un-banned" rifles and leo/miliary marked mags.

Heck, I will admit that when I bought the AR mags and a couple of the 12 round HK mags I demanded that they had the "LEO/Military use only" markings. It was more of a "Up Yours" type comment then anything else. Sure, when they came out they were more expensive but it was a statement that had to be made.

Wayne

VIP Member
    It would be interesting to know the "year by year" sales numbers for firearms, and see if there are big jumps that correspond with anti-gun hysteria levels
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Me buy guns and normal capacity mags not neutered mags ???

Never happen

Well, I'm just happy I finally got my carry permit and can carry any handgun I want.

I've been thinking a lot lately about a "what if" rifle. Can't decide if I want an AR or an M1A1 though. The local gun shop I frequent stocks both and there's a public rifle range not far from there so I'd have a place to shoot. Both rifles have their pros and cons so it makes deciding tough.

I just sent off my C&R application at the end of May so a Lee Enfield or SKS might be coming my way at some point too. As well as a Makarov or three and a P-01 or P-38, not to mention bulk ammo orders.

There's still plenty of practical handguns I's like to pick up too though: Ruger 4" GP-100 and a snubbie SP101, my Colt CC, a 9mm of some sort (HP, Glock, Sig), the list goes on and on.

Can't say politics has much to do with my buying habits, although the possibility of another N'Orlens type disaster does make me want to stock up on ammo and supplies.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Can't decide if I want an AR or an M1A1
    Jack - I think maybe size and weight could be an influencing factor - to me anyways the M1 would be way heavy and less easy to tote, even if 30-06 is obviously way up there in the power scale.

The AR type is by comparison so much more totable and capacity and ammo carrying etc is all helped, even if way down on power by comparison.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Very good point, everyone I know is stocking up on normal capacity mags and ammo.
    Curry

Sponsored Links