Gsg 1911-.22lr Couple pics

This is a discussion on Gsg 1911-.22lr Couple pics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just picked up one of these the GSG 1911 .22LR . Here is a picture of mine. Sorry if it is a little fuzzy. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gsg 1911-.22lr Couple pics

Gsg 1911-.22lr Couple pics

I just picked up one of these the GSG 1911 .22LR.

Here is a picture of mine. Sorry if it is a little fuzzy.

I have only shot a few rounds through it and it looks like it has great potential. I am planning on giving it a work out tomorrow, if the weather works with me. The gun feels just like other 1911s that I have fired before. The controls are standard and familiar. The Grip safety is functional, just like a .45ACP 1911. I think for someone that wants a dedicated .22lr 1911 this is a great choice. The magazine capacity is 10+1. I'll put more info in this thread after I give the pistol a workout.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    What was the OTD price? Nice to see they are in the hands of dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    What was the OTD price? Nice to see they are in the hands of dealers.
    Whoops! I knew I forgot something. Purchased in Central North Carolina for $319.99, before sales tax, according to the distributor's website the MSRP is $359.95. They had three that came in that day (Thursday) and I bought the first one. I came by again on Friday about 1 PM and they had sold the other two.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    Whoops! I knew I forgot something. Purchased in Central North Carolina for $319.99, before sales tax, according to the distributor's website the MSRP is $359.95. They had three that came in that day (Thursday) and I bought the first one. I came by again on Friday about 1 PM and they had sold the other two.
    I have my eye on the STI GP6 and have been saving but there is always the vacation fund to raid.

I like that a lot, can't wait to read your range report. My wife bought me a CMMG .22lr conversion kit for my AR-15 for my birthday and I'd like a .22 1911 to go go with it for cheap practice. I've been looking at the Chiappa 1911-22 but it's a standard GI set up and a bit cheap feeling to me. The GSG is set up like my carry 1911's - beaver tail, aluminum trigger, Novak style sights - seems like a lot more gun for $40 more. Let us know how it works for you!
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I like that a lot, can't wait to read your range report. My wife bought me a CMMG .22lr conversion kit for my AR-15 for my birthday and I'd like a .22 1911 to go go with it for cheap practice. I've been looking at the Chiappa 1911-22 but it's a standard GI set up and a bit cheap feeling to me. The GSG is set up like my carry 1911's - beaver tail, aluminum trigger, Novak style sights - seems like a lot more gun for $40 more. Let us know how it works for you!
    Well Range Report had to wait, an emergency job came up and I had to work. I'm off Tuesday, so I should be ok for then.

How are you liking the CMMG, I am thinking of that as one of my next buys.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    These are coming up here, I wish they made a Commander version. I believe parts are 80% interchangable with a .45acp 1911

I think I'm gonna have to dip in my gun fund and buy one
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    Well Range Report had to wait, an emergency job came up and I had to work. I'm off Tuesday, so I should be ok for then.

How are you liking the CMMG, I am thinking of that as one of my next buys.
    I haven't had a chance to try the CMMG kit yet, I just got it Saturday. I'm hoping to be able to get out back and try it out tomorrow. She ordered it through Express Police Supply, it is on sale for just $139.99. Here's a link - AR-15 .22lr Conversion with 26rd Mag
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I just bought one of the GSG 1911's,Midwest Hunters Outlet has them listed for 329.95 + 19.99 S&H,then whatever your FFL transfer fee is,total cost for me was $365.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

I bought one of these last week also. 500 flawless rounds of Federal Bulk Pack. This gun has the same heft, grip, feel, trigger, controls, operation as any 1911 I own. Most impressive.[ I looked at the Chiappa and, was not impressed].
    Threaded barrel, what appears to be an adjustable trigger--mine was fantastic out of the box....as good as my Springfield and about as good as my Kimber. No joke.
    Three dot, adjustable sights. Accuracy is quite good. Without sandbags and steady, I shoot groups the size of a quarter at 8 yards. I have not been able to do serious accuracy testing yet. Magizine is of good design and falls free when the button is pushed. Wood grip is identical to 1911 at least on the outside. Black phospate or painted finish. Metal barrel, guide rod, hammer, breech assembly and extractor. Ejector is mounted to barrel and barrel secures to lower with three pins. Slide is probably aluminum. Lower is non-magnetic but heavy, alloy giving the gun the "heft" of the 1911. The plunger in the top photo is incorrect. The plunger on my gun has a hole in it for the full lenght guide rod. Bought from Davidson's. A little over $380 OTD at my local FFL.
    If this gun in .22 is not attractive to 1911 fans then, I would like to know what it is that they are looking for!

Not meaning to steal your thread Ramrunnr, just adding on. Let us know how your's does.
    I can't wait to get some more mags.
    Last edited by Gibber; June 14th, 2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: OTD price

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    Not meaning to steal your thread Ramrunnr, just adding on. Let us know how your's does.
    I can't wait to get some more mags.
    Your cool, saves me some typing later. Going to shoot mine in the morning.

The top pic is from the importer's website, maybe a prototype. Mine has the same hole you describe. I have some Federal Bulk that I usually use in my revolvers, I'll try some to see if this 1911 can use it. I usually use CCI Mini-Mags in my Semi-Autos.

I didn't really like the Chiappa either (I thought that it was a little rough in fit and finish), and I had decided to get a Ruger 22/45, until I saw this. The Ruger resembles the function of the 1911 without being one. This gun is a 1911.

I have already talked to my guys at my LGS and they have me on a list to get some extra mags, I have been told that they are on the way, we are waiting on the importer to bring them in.

Post My Range Report

Quote Originally Posted by Gibber View Post
    This gun has the same heft, grip, feel, trigger, controls, operation as any 1911 I own. Most impressive....
    Threaded barrel, what appears to be an adjustable trigger .... Three dot, adjustable sights. Accuracy is quite good. Without sandbags and steady, I shoot groups the size of a quarter at 8 yards. .... Magazine is of good design and falls free when the button is pushed. Wood grip is identical to 1911 at least on the outside. Black phosphate or painted finish. Metal barrel, guide rod, hammer, breech assembly and extractor. Ejector is mounted to barrel and barrel secures to lower with three pins. Slide is probably aluminum. Lower is non-magnetic but heavy, alloy giving the gun the "heft" of the 1911. The plunger in the top photo is incorrect. The plunger on my gun has a hole in it for the full length guide rod. ...
    If this gun in .22 is not attractive to 1911 fans then, I would like to know what it is that they are looking for!
    Well my gun is just like Gibber's description, although I'm not sure if his does, but mine has an ambidextrous safety, although the left-handed lever is about half the size of the right-handed lever. Accuracy with this gun is great, Very small groups. I shot at 8 and 15 yards. 15 yard groups under an inch, with a flier here and there (my fault, not the guns). I used 50 rounds from a Federal bulk and it fired it just fine. This is from the same bulk pack I tried in my Ruger 10/22 and it not cycle the bolt correctly every other shot. No feeding or ejecting problems whatsoever in this 1911. The 200 rounds CCI was great no problems with it there either (Not expecting problem with it like I was with the Federal Bulk). I even tried 10 rounds of Russian steel cased ammo that I had and it fed and fired just fine. The Fit and Finish on the pistol is excellent and I could not find any rough spots or problems with this 1911.

Althought one thing that I have noticed that is unlike any 1911 I have ever used. I can find no mention of this in the manual. I don't know if it is designed to do this or if it is just a quirk. Hammer cocked with the slide safety engaged. Grip the pistol to disengage the grip safety. Pull trigger, the trigger moves slightly back, maybe a millimeter or two. Disengage the safety on the slide and as the safety drops so does the hammer to half cock. I am not sure if this gun is designed to do this and it is just not mentioned (or I accidentally overlooked it) or this is a problem with the gun, or just a quirk. I would not want a defensive gun to "half-decock" like this, but as I am not using this as a defensive gun that is not a problem, Per se.

This is a gun that I would recommend to someone who wanted a 1911 look and feel, but doesn't want the expense of feeding a gun a diet of .45ACP, just wants a plinking toy, or likes the look and style of the 1911 and cannot handle the recoil of the larger caliber (like training a child). This gun could be used for training for a 1911 with the lower expense of using .22lr. Just like using a Conversion for a AR-15 to .22lr. In my opinion, this is better than a conversion as you have a dedicated gun for .22 and little more expense than a 1911-22 conversion. I know of a few locals that have gotten a conversion slide for a 1911 and was not happy with its function. Since this 1911 is built to be a .22 I think it would perform better than a conversion on an existing .45ACP frame.

Well I hope this is a good range report, this is the first one I have put out for others to read. Any questions just ask. In the quote above of Gibber's the "..." indicate where I snipped parts out to save space.

Have fun and beware of the

Safety

That gun needs looked at by a gunsmith,the hammer should not drop to half cock after pulling the trigger on safety and then disengaging the thumb safety.Could be the safety wasn't fitted right allowing the sear to move enough that when you take the safety off the hammer drops

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    That gun needs looked at by a gunsmith,the hammer should not drop to half cock after pulling the trigger on safety and then disengaging the thumb safety.Could be the safety wasn't fitted right allowing the sear to move enough that when you take the safety off the hammer drops
    Thanks, I'll have it looked at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links