youngest 1911 shooter?

youngest 1911 shooter?

This is a discussion on youngest 1911 shooter? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; YouTube - miko andres (13) world's youngest 45 caliber shooter 6yrs old this kid made me feel like a wuss. He handled the 1911 like ...

Thread: youngest 1911 shooter?

youngest 1911 shooter?

YouTube - miko andres (13) world's youngest 45 caliber shooter 6yrs old

this kid made me feel like a wuss. He handled the 1911 like a pro and I felt less of a dude for shooting striker fired pistols.

seriously though, how young is young when training younglings in this martial art? the kid seem to have handled the pistol safely and much more surely than some of the adults that I've seen in the range.

good shooting, miko.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I let my 10-yr-old son fire my .41 Mag BH once. Even after advising him to "hold it tightly," it flipped right over his shoulder and landed in the snow. Don't recall him asking to shoot it again.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I think it's got to be on an individual basis. However, it is my belief to start kids shooting long guns first, as they are easier to be safe with (due to the longer barrel, among other things). I don't think I would have a kid shooting a pistol, let alone a .45, that young - and definately not before I had seen they were VERY safe with long guns.

Alas, there are always exceptions and this kid is obviously one. Still, I would be worried about him developing a flinch. Even though he handled it well, it appeared to me that the recoil was a bit much for his small arms and torso.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post

this kid made me feel like a wuss. He handled the 1911 like a pro and I felt less of a dude for shooting striker fired pistols.

seriously though, how young is young when training younglings in this martial art? the kid seem to have handled the pistol safely and much more surely than some of the adults that I've seen in the range.

good shooting, miko.

To quote "The Karate Kid"... "There is no such thing as bad students, only bad teachers."

So if you have someone who is patient, thorough, and teaches properly then anyone can handle a firearm safely. Each individual is different though and some children are more mature than others at an early age. It's up to the parents to decide if their child is ready to learn how to handle firearms and what age would be appropriate.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

knew quite a few kids (probably 10-16 years old) that shot compitition bullseye with 45. heck of a lot better than I was.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Did anyone else notice how he had to pull the trigger with his middle finger so he could reach?
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

He's had some good instruction from someone!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post

good shooting, miko.
    not sure where that comment comes from...he is firing a gun with a lighter sa trigger pull than anything striker fired probably adding to accuracy...with light loads there is no reason why a kid cant handle a .45 with a bit of experience...you dont think hes shooting full power loads with that little bit of muzzle jump do you?

great shooting...we have an 11 year old who competes in idpa with us with a .22...obviously some advantages shooting a gun with no recoil but this kid is fantastic and usually takes all the head shots he can get...makes it through all of the scenarios really clean and his rapid fire and accuracy are unreal...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Now, I don't think there is some magic age where everybody is suddenly mature/developed enough to start shooting and nobody younger than that should ever touch a gun, so I don't have any inherent objections to teaching a 6-y.o. to shoot. nonetheless, I have a couple of issues here...

The main one is, watching the kid at the end of the video putting the empty mag and the gun back on the belt, it's obvious he has, basically, a 6-y.o.'s level of co-ordination---he is a bit wobbly. That, in and of itself, no problem. But he charged the gun by pulling the slide from the muzzle end. I don't like seeing grown men with decades of experience deliberately put their fingers that close to a gun muzzle. Watching a 6-y.o. do it made me cringe.

I also have to say that the skeptic in me is thinking there was nowhere near enough muzzle flip while he's shooting. Maybe it's just really light bunny-fart handloads and some really weak springs, but something didn't look quite right...

Anyway, I honestly hope the kid stays safe and has a ball shooting.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Obviously he has been instructed well. His father should be commended for teaching him safety and technique.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

He handled a 1911 better than when I first shot one. lol
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

kpw
    If it will fit in their hands, they can be taught. My son could shoot my Kimber, any of my Glocks and my GP100 at 8. His little sister (now 10) doesn't like shooting anything but .22s but she can handle my G19 ok. My older girls will shoot whatever you put in their hands. Everyone of them was a different process.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

watch the muzzle flip and tell me he hit the target

Heres another of the youngster. not a bad shot at all for his age.
    He will be one to keep an eye on as he gets older.
    YouTube - WORLD'S YOUNGEST SHARP SHOOTER (a) MICHAEL KHRIS CHON D. ANDRES 6y/o
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Sponsored Links