G26 + 1911+ 870 Do I NEED anything else?

This is a discussion on G26 + 1911+ 870 Do I NEED anything else? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You are short one gun. You need a Ruger MKIII Target .22 LR in 5.5" barrel. Then you are complete....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: G26 + 1911+ 870 Do I NEED anything else?

You are short one gun. You need a Ruger MKIII Target .22 LR in 5.5" barrel. Then you are complete.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    A couple of things, all self defense handguns should be of the same operating system. Carrying a Glock and using a 1911 for the home is inviting Murphy to come visit. Pick one or the other.

As to the extra paycheck. Instead of investing in hardware invest in software. After all hardware without software is USELESS. Take a training class.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    A couple of things, all self defense handguns should be of the same operating system. Carrying a Glock and using a 1911 for the home is inviting Murphy to come visit. Pick one or the other.
    I guess I'm in trouble then.

cmb

a 22 & a BUG

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I think a logical case can be made for a 22lr and a combat rifle of some sorts.

A 22 is a staple of any survivalist, ammo is cheap and easy to stock in large quantity. A 22 in skilled hands can do just about anything you ask it to. They also get you more trigger time as they are a fraction of the cost to shoot.

The AK/AR or whatever kind speaks for itself.
    This (22 pistol or rifle) and a BUG for carry would be next for me... in your situation... then I like the Polic Caliber Carbines (PCC), especially sharing mags, I am not a rifle guy nor long range hunter so I could see the need. There is a much higher likelihood of a natural disaster than an invasion so the 22 would rank pretty high. I have a 22 ruger Mk II 22/45 and I can shoot good group at 50 yards...

As an AK guy, it almost pains me to say this:

Get an AR.

Need a medium or long range rifle with optics chambered in 5.56? Swap the upper.
    Want a pistol caliber carbine that uses the same ammo as your edc and uses cheap Uzi or sten magazines? Swap the upper.
    Want a cheap .22lr plinker for having fun, small game, or training? Swap the upper.

You need a rifle, so it only makes sense to buy one that can cover all bases as your first one. It's infinitely modular, can be made to chamber practically any conceivable rifle or pistol round, can be used for almost purpose from home defense, to training, to hunting, to plinking and fun.

I think if I was in your shoes, that's what I'd go with anyway.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

A .22 cal is a great survival weapon for all the reasons already posted. Plus they are fun to shoot, ammo is cheap and they go a long way to help keep your skills up. I like the Ruger 10/22 but there are many other good choices out there.

Also for serious long range defense and also the procurement of larger game a decent rifle in a hunting caliber for medium to large game would an almost required item if you are serious about being prepared for any kind of event. There's too many unknown situations to be caught without a decent rifle.

I would get something in the .30 cal range. .308, .30-06, or 300 really doesn't matter but the ammo availability is better in the .30 caliber range. My favorite rounds are the .308 or .30-06. The 300 win mag is a bit on the harsh side for medium game and .308 and .30-06 will take any large game in North America.

Whether you get your rifle in a decent bolt action or one of the semi-automatic "evil black rifles" is strictly your option. Personally I have both, a bolt action .30-06, a "EBR" FAL .308 and I got a Colt AR-15 in .223 because the trade was too good to resist and it was a private sale so no "guberment" paperwork on it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Ruger Mini 14 or an AK 47 with at least 1000 Rds. AND a Ruger 10/22.

Administrator
    I'd shop around for a decent capacity high quality .22 semi-auto rifle and a few nice bricks of rim-fire ammo.
    An absolute necessity.

I sure would opt for that before a KelTec in 9.

Now you need a revolver, Sp101 or SW snub nose in plus p and you are set.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRabbi View Post
    Ruger Mini 14 or an AK 47 with at least 1000 Rds. AND a Ruger 10/22.

+1
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

RKM
    I was just in the same position. A compact pistol, full size pistol and 12 gauge. I wanted something else to top it all off. I was looking at buy a Saiga .308, but after reading the conversion laws about AK-47's, I went with an M&P15 AR-15. I still want an AK-47 in .308 someday. It'll have to be a Saiga :)

I'm happy with my collection....... for now, haha. I'll be adding more in the years to come.

G26 + 1911+ 870 Do I NEED anything else?
    Maybe a good tac light?

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I didn't bother to read all the posts', so I'm going to go along with one post I did see that mentioned long range. Always have a long range rifle just in case, the other side will.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

snubbie and a good flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Maybe a good tac light?
    Quote Originally Posted by bassoneer View Post
    snubbie and a good flashlight
    2 lights. One is none...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links