At last the truth -- It's the Drugs...

This is a discussion on At last the truth -- It's the Drugs... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Landric The solution is really simple, legalize drugs and tax them, both in the United States and Mexico. It worked with alcohol, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: At last the truth -- It's the Drugs...

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    The solution is really simple, legalize drugs and tax them, both in the United States and Mexico. It worked with alcohol, and it will work with drugs, all the drug dealers would be out of business overnight.
    +1

The 'war on drugs' is a complete waste of time and money, IMO.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

"We got too many gangsters doing dirty deeds
    We've got too much corruption, too much crime in the streets
    It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
    Send 'em all to their maker and he'll settle 'em down"
    love that song
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail...But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "Damn we screwed up".

VIP Member

re: Landric, yes but with one qualified concern

The solution is really simple, legalize drugs and tax them, both in the United States and Mexico. It worked with alcohol, and it will work with drugs, all the drug dealers would be out of business overnight.
    Yes, but with one qualified concern. BGs will find new enterprises. It may be wholesale human traffic or gun running, but the BGs are that way either by nature or by economic necessity, and will ALWAYS be with us.

I would like to see not only some considerable decriminalization and taxation, but changes to our entire prescription drug program so that people can obtain prescription medicines they know they need without having to run to a doc once a year just for the renewal. And most of the stuff that now carries penalties for possession (e.g., minor tranquilizers, and commonly needed pain pills) could be decriminalized. In other words not just the weed. We'd cut law enforcement expenses, penitentiary operating expenses, and medical care expenses all in one fell swoop.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Sigh, when I was young, my momma' taught me to be accountable for my own actions.

prisoners from rival gangs attacked one another with pistols, an assault rifle and knives in the Mazatlan jail
    Let us blame US guns for finding their way into Mexican jails. After all, I heard most USA FFL's will deliver free to jail (with coupon) in 30 minutes or less.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    Want to know the truth? The Mexican government is NOT fighting all these drug cartels. They have decided to BACK the largest one and help them crush all the smaller ones. The govt is using the police and the military to accomplish this. It is their last ditch effort.
    This is 100 percent my personal opinion but I think the reason why the Mexican government can't fight these people is the same reason why fighting a conflict as a "Civilized Country" is so difficult when the enemy is any thing but. Your enemy can use whatever tactics they want where as a civilized country has to obey the rules. The enemy doesn't have to wait for you to fire upon them, they can fire first. The enemy can target civilians. The enemy can use suicide bombers.

A Mexican drug cartel can walk into a police station and open fire killing everyone in side. The Mexican police can not walk into the mansion of a drug king pin and open fire killing everyone inside. Civilized countries always have to fight at a disadvantage and the bad guys KNOW this. It's not that the Mexican government is out gunned. It's just that as a civilized country they can't bring the guns they have to bear in any way shape or form like the Cartels can.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Ah, the Libertarian view - I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    How would you regulate marijuana which can be grown in peoples back yards and homes and resold, undercutting taxes? It would still be a black market as long as drug dealers can sell it cheaper than it is taxed. That goes for all drugs.
    The same way you regulate home brewed beer and home-made wine. You don't. It's so small a percentage that it's negligible. The last time I looked, the drug cartels weren't involved in home grown marijuana.

Administrator
    The police make the drug busts. They get to keep all of the drug money and the ROLEX watches and those nice vehicles go to police auction...the lawyers get called and they grab their piece of the juicy drug pie - The rehab centers and clinics get to stay nice and busy...the bail/bonders are happy & the dealers go back out onto the street and the entire cycle begins again.

It's a thriving profitable business all the way round with megabucks involved.
    It's never going to end because the folks making the fat money don't want it to end.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's never going to end because the folks making the fat money don't want it to end.
    +1...I been thinking that for a long time.

The police make the drug busts. They get to keep all of the drug money and the ROLEX watches and those nice vehicles go to police auction...the lawyers get called and they grab their piece of the juicy drug pie - The rehab centers and clinics get to stay nice and busy...the bail/bonders are happy & the dealers go back out onto the street and the entire cycle begins again.

Don't forget all those immense Federal Budgets to fight the war on drugs, the ones that have large numbers attached to them with no justification that get lost in the black ops pocket books.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    You also need to understand that some of these cartel leaders can purchase weaponry by the literal shipload. (And they do.) Northern Mexico is really it's own little country as far as they are concerned, and the issue is compounded further with the Zetas. which were at least partially trained by US special forces, and have since defected from the Mexican military.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

+1. As I've heard it put, "It's not about the money, it's about the money."

The drug issues today aren't like they were 25 years ago. Today, crystal meth is relatively cheap to make and a lot can be made quickly. Unlike taking all summer and a lot of space to grow mary jane. Kids face the exponential affects and addictive nature of these new generation street drugs.

Does anyone other than old hippies even mess with marijuana anymore? It seems on the cost/margin side of the drug trade, it has lost it's place in the limelight. If it were legalized, packaged, sold, taxed, and treated like alcohol, it would also become so relatively inexpensive, why would anyone risk getting caught making, smuggling, buying, or selling it themselves? I'm not advocating it, I'm just wondering if it has fallen off of the radar screen in terms of relevance.

I may be way off base here...the extent of my drug discussions occur in my physician's regarding allergy medicines.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Yes, but with one qualified concern. BGs will find new enterprises. It may be wholesale human traffic or gun running, but the BGs are that way either by nature or by economic necessity, and will ALWAYS be with us.

I would like to see not only some considerable decriminalization and taxation, but changes to our entire prescription drug program so that people can obtain prescription medicines they know they need without having to run to a doc once a year just for the renewal. And most of the stuff that now carries penalties for possession (e.g., minor tranquilizers, and commonly needed pain pills) could be decriminalized. In other words not just the weed. We'd cut law enforcement expenses, penitentiary operating expenses, and medical care expenses all in one fell swoop.
    One problem at a time Hop, one problem at a time. Of course criminals will always find other enterprises, but not this one or not as big at least.

Legalze and Tax it. We are not going to defeat it, that should be obvious by now.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

+1

I was gonna say something like this, but I figured everyone would accuse me of wearing a tinfoil hat!

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Viper7 View Post
    Ah, the Libertarian view - I like it.
    +1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links