What do you find the most frustrating in regard to CCW?

This is a discussion on What do you find the most frustrating in regard to CCW? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Other CC people’s attitudes/ beliefs....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you find the most frustrating in regard to CCW?

Other CC people’s attitudes/ beliefs.

2. Remove Ads

* Reciprocity
    Or as noted by another the lack there of, forcing me to pay hundreds of literal dollars to posses multiple permits/licenses.

* Laws
    The laws here in MA as related to carry in specific toward allowance of where & when, are IMHO the best thing going and should be the same nationwide. I'd co-opt in VAs allowance toward carry as around school grounds during business hours toward pick-up & drop-off of children...And I'd be pleased as punch.

Go elsewhere in America though and half the things I do here while carrying I cannot do or am restricted much of elsewhere.

For example I carry into bars,pool halls and bowling alleys even as I don't drink. I regularly and carry into restaurants & eateries that serve alcohol and sit with my family and guests as they drink and I don't have to worry about legality. I carry to sporting fields when I take my daughter to t-ball. I carry into theaters and other places of 'public gathering'. I carry into police stations when there on business (I've carried into meetings on two occasions with local police chiefs at their offices). I've carried into a hospital and birthed my son that way while armed (concealed). I carry into public librarys and to the bank, as well as into places of worship. I've carried into nightclubs and strip clubs too. I carry into city & town govt. buildings and have attended meetings with the mayor as well as stood to make a public presentation on video before town counsel with the chief of police sitting next to me as I was carrying a gun, knife and OC on my person upon walking in off the street. And I can and on occasion do carry on to other peoples private residential property although as a general rule of my own I make the choice to not do so and will disarm in my car or just not go there armed at all. I can carry into business of any sort and there is no '30.06' type legal allowance/recognition here so I can willfully ignore those type signs by corporations (i.e. Whole Foods) without concern.
    I'm not even required to notify a LEO during a stop, although by my own rule I do so voluntarily...Except for just once.

This is MA. Completely lawful conditions of carry.
    If I go outside of MA though, the rules vary and in areas do so dramatically. Which sucks. : |

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Besides my relatively new home state of Florida, the 2 states I spend the most time in are Illinois and Wisconsin, neither of which allow CC. I can carry all the way to IL. than have to disarm for the next 5 months. What a crock!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    There is not enough bandwidth for all the answers.

jfl
    The weight of the gun on my belt
    When I started carrying, in the 80's, I couldn't feel it, after 8880 days it is getting heavier each year.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    * Reciprocity
    Or as noted by another the lack there of, forcing me to pay hundreds of literal dollars to posses multiple permits/licenses.

* Laws
    The laws here in MA as related to carry in specific toward allowance of where & when, are IMHO the best thing going and should be the same nationwide. I'd co-opt in VAs allowance toward carry as around school grounds during business hours toward pick-up & drop-off of children...And I'd be pleased as punch.

Go elsewhere in America though and half the things I do here while carrying I cannot do or am restricted much of elsewhere.

For example I carry into bars,pool halls and bowling alleys even as I don't drink. I regularly and carry into restaurants & eateries that serve alcohol and sit with my family and guests as they drink and I don't have to worry about legality. I carry to sporting fields when I take my daughter to t-ball. I carry into theaters and other places of 'public gathering'. I carry into police stations when there on business (I've carried into meetings on two occasions with local police chiefs at their offices). I've carried into a hospital and birthed my son that way while armed (concealed). I carry into public librarys and to the bank, as well as into places of worship. I've carried into nightclubs and strip clubs too. I carry into city & town govt. buildings and have attended meetings with the mayor as well as stood to make a public presentation on video before town counsel with the chief of police sitting next to me as I was carrying a gun, knife and OC on my person upon walking in off the street. And I can and on occasion do carry on to other peoples private residential property although as a general rule of my own I make the choice to not do so and will disarm in my car or just not go there armed at all. I can carry into business of any sort and there is no '30.06' type legal allowance/recognition here so I can willfully ignore those type signs by corporations (i.e. Whole Foods) without concern.
    I'm not even required to notify a LEO during a stop, although by my own rule I do so voluntarily...Except for just once.

This is MA. Completely lawful conditions of carry.
    If I go outside of MA though, the rules vary and in areas do so dramatically. Which sucks. : |

- Janq
    Don't feel like ALL other states are more restrictive, there are a few good ones, like Utah, all things in your list are legal in Utah, along with MANY more things/places restricted by many/most states.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    The weight of the gun on my belt
    When I started carrying, in the 80's, I couldn't feel it, after 8880 days it is getting heavier each year.

Mine weigh the same, but somebody replaced my target sights with some blurry, fuzzy ones...

No open carry, and prohibited places. That's what bugs me the most.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    Don't feel like ALL other states are more restrictive, there are a few good ones, like Utah, all things in your list are legal in Utah, along with MANY more things/places restricted by many/most states.
    I didn't say and don't at all feel "all".

MA is an outlier. VA is an outlier. Utah is an outlier.
    To varying degrees Texas and FL are outliers...Minority among the vast majority whole.

MA is as open as it gets.
    They even allow by state law USPS carry (!), which is of course superseded by Federal law.

The only restrictions in MA are K-12 schools and colleges/universitys, and Federal govt. property as restricted/allowed per Fed laws & regulations whihc is the case nationwide.

Everywhere else in MA is literally good to go.
    It's a lovely thing, which is ironic considering it's MA (!).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Needing a permit and having off-limits places that don't apply to criminals.
    Ohio is especially bad about such Designated Victim Zones, or Criminal Protection Zones, however you wish to call them.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    Janq--

I think I didn't word/write my thoughts well. I wasn't accusing you of saying that. Just reminding everyone that there are gun-friendly places to live/visit.

Mass. can't be all bad.....you guys elected Mitt Romney as Governor. I'm a huge Mitt fan.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; June 17th, 2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

cmb

? retsupt, hospitals?

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Being disarmed at school or at the local hospital, can't even have it in the car at either place...
    What hospitals can prohibit carry in florida? VA?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    .... the differences in regulations from state to state gives me a great pain in the rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Other CC people’s attitudes/ beliefs.
    Non-CC people’s attitudes/ beliefs.

Too few of us.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Waiting for it to come in the mail!!!!!
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

I am with SIGguy.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

The anti crowd and anti media that try to paint all gun owners in a negative light based a minute percentage of bad instances.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links