Hammerless vs hammer....pros and cons

This is a discussion on Hammerless vs hammer....pros and cons within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was just reading about the Walther P99 on Impact Guns....this is an excerpt about the hammer: "Its design incorporates solutions to the requirements of on-duty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammerless vs hammer....pros and cons

Distinguished Member

Hammerless vs hammer....pros and cons

Was just reading about the Walther P99 on Impact Guns....this is an excerpt about the hammer:

"Its design incorporates solutions to the requirements of on-duty use, combining the many advantages of a hammerless pistol with the comfort of one equipped with a hammer."

What exactly are the advantages of a hammerless pistol and what do they mean by the "comfort" of one with a hammer???

Thanks in advance for education in this dept.

2. Remove Ads

The only advantage I can think of is with a hammerless you reduce the risk of the pistol being snagged upon drawing it. One could also argue that an unscrupulous DA couldn't say that you intentionally cocked the hammer back with a hammerless model as well.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

It seems like a hammer would get snagged on clothing, if pocket carried. That's the only negative that I can think of
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ditto.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I got a hammerless SP101 for my wife to use at home. When she took a basic handgun class, the instructor let them (all ladies) shoot the revolvers single action by cocking the trigger. Later when we trying out some revolvers to see what would be best for her(weak wrists and can't rack slide on semi-auto) she kept cocking the hammer. I didn't want her to find herself in a situation where she might cock hammer, not fire it, and then have to release hammer back to rest.

Although there are exceptions, a typical striker fired pistol has a double-action-only trigger action. Each round fired, from first to last, has the same trigger feel. The Walther P99AS is unique among striker fired pistols (as near as I can remember) in that it has a trigger action that duplicates the characteristics of a traditional hammer fired SA/DA pistol. It also has a de-cocker, which is normally only seen on hammer fired guns. With the P99AS de-cocked, the first round fired will be with the longer -stiffer double-action trigger pull, after which the gun will be operating in single action (until de-cocked), just like a hammer fired SA/DA pistol (ie- Sig, CZ, Beretta ect.) So, how does the word "comfort" fit into that scenario? The only thing I can think of is that when operating in it's single action mode, it has a much lighter and shorter trigger pull than a typical striker fired DAO pistol. If that is what Impact Guns meant when using the word "comfort", then I guess they were referring to shooting comfort? More likely, it was just an inappropriate word choice.

I prefer the hammer, and if you develop the muscle memory to place your thumb over the hammer on the 'pocket draw'...no problem.

There is also an advantage to a hammer in an up close and in your face confrontation...with an empty gun (hammerless) have someone show you how grabbing the cyclinder can actually prevent the gun from firing, but you cannot do that with a hammer...it will still go 'boom'.
    Small note, I know, but could be of some importance.OMOYMV
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 17th, 2010 at 09:57 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I prefer the hammer, and if you develop the muscle memory to place your thumb over the hammer on the 'pocket draw'...no problem.

There is also an advantage to a hammer in an up close and in your face confrontation...with an empty gun (hammerless) have someone show you how grabbing the cyclinder can actually prevent the gun from firing, but you cannot do that with a hammer...it will still go 'boom'.
    +1. I prefer hammers (DA/SA) on both revolvers and semis. Not sure why, just drawn to them I guess. I have hammerless in both styles also and carry them often.
    Last edited by BugDude; June 18th, 2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: correction
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I agree with both of the above. In addition, with a da/sa you can put a thumb on the hammer/slide when reholstering and tell if something is engaging the trigger without shooting yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    +1. I prefer hammers (DA/SA) on both revolvers and semis. Not sure why, just drawn to them I guess. I have hammerless in both styles also and carry them often.
    I'm the same way. I prefer da/sa as I like the option to be able to cock the hammer and fire in single action mode. At the end of the day I'm all about options. The more the better.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member

Good point retsupt

Good point, especially for us old dudes who can't run fast enough to make space.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Good point, especially for us old dudes who can't run fast enough to make space.
    LOL....come on Hopyard, kick push spit bite knee fart....surely you can do something to make space

I chose the hammerless 642 for my backup for a few reasons:
    -no snag on the draw
    -hammer can't be grabbed to prevent firing
    -clothing, finger, or whatever won't get in the opening when the hammer would be drawn back

if I'm going to my backup on duty that means things have gone bad, might be on my back with the BG on top of me sticking my 642 in his gut and I want to eliminate as many possibilities of Murphy intevening
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

thanks, retsupt, I learned something new today

How about what if you have to fire your pistol, while it's still in your pocket? No hammer, less chance of something snagging.

It probably doesn't matter, as long as the user understands the mechanics of his weapon.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Every one I have, has a hammer. The one's I pocket carry, don't snag on clothing at all .. it's all in how you carry it and if you know how to draw it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    LOL....come on Hopyard, kick push spit bite knee fart....surely you can do something to make space
    Just drop your bottle of Geritol and then chase it as it rolls away...

or (if it's really up close and personal)

Pass the BG one of those Listerine things and say "Dude! You need this more than I do." then step back while waving your hand in front of your nose.

Or, just do the ol' Fred Sanford trick... "I'm coming Margaret" and stagger around some until you get some breathing space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links