Suppressed Firearms Generally

This is a discussion on Suppressed Firearms Generally within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With all the suppressor-related threads that flow through the internet forums I read, I got to wondering why it had never occurred to me to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed Firearms Generally

Suppressed Firearms Generally

With all the suppressor-related threads that flow through the internet forums I read, I got to wondering why it had never occurred to me to purchase a suppressor or suppressed firearm. It made me remember the only two times I've ever even fired a suppressed weapon, and that really I can't see a reason I'd ever need to purchase one.

The only really rock-n-roll suppressed weapon I've ever fired was a MAC10 with a wire folding stock. When the stock was exented and with the supressor attached, well hell, the thing was so darned long that I might as well have been holding a Model 94 Winchester. It was fun firing it, but with me not having any experience with the proper techniques for firing subguns, suppressed or not, the Coke can continued to float 20 yards away in the river after I'd dumped a full magazine of sub-sonic 9mm in its general direction. The immediately subsequent round of 12-gauge 6 shot ended its misery.

The other suppressed weapon I'd fired was a Ruger .22 rifle that looked like a standard 77/22 with a real heavy bull barrel. At one time, I'd considered purchasing one for use in my neighborhood against such things as the muskrats that insist on digging up the pond bank directly behind my house and chewing anything I plant back there to the ground. However, firing any sort of firearm in the city would be breakin' the law, so I decided not to go there - especially since I already meet those needs very adequately with a gas-powered pellet rifle and, when additional firepower is necessary such as with a really grumpy, mature muskrat, my bow.

Now, if Alabama ever allowed us to use suppressed weapons for hunting season, well, then you can bet I'd be in the market. That'll never happen, though, but there is a silver lining - while I'll continue to be noisy, at least I'll save $200 in taxes.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Fun, but no real practical use unless you are LE or military.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    well if you want some fun reading on the subject , and more info than you will eaver need try http://www.silencertests.com/silencer-forum/ lol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I always thought they were a waste of money too. I was thinking of getting one of the fake suppressors for on my tec22 just for fun but I really doubt im gonna.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Fun, but no real practical use unless you are LE or military.
    Hearing protection, reduction of noise pollution, stress reduction for new shooters, generally increases accuracy, won't spook other game if you're hunting....

Nope, no real practical use

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    Hearing protection, reduction of noise pollution, stress reduction for new shooters, generally increases accuracy, won't spook other game if you're hunting....

Nope, no real practical use

Don't forget communicating with others...Uncork one round indoors, and see how well you hear.

First off, thank you BigJon for calling them suppressors instead of silencers.

+1 on mzmtg's points. I own some suppressors. Unfortunately Michigan doesn't allow civilians to possess them, so I have them at my mother's place in Wisconsin. I might be moving back there after school (one year left). My wife hates it up here. Then I can shoot my suppressors some more.

The nice thing about them is when I teach my son to shoot, he won't be scared by the muzzle blast.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Frankly a suppressed SBR in .45acp is probably the best thing for home defense ... not that many would ever get used that way.

I figure if I have to shoot in the house that I'm going to suffer permanant hearing damage ... so if I could avoid that it would be nice.

Lately I've been bit by the prairie dog hunting bug ... I'd love to put a can on my AR so I don't spook all the 'dogs away on the first shot :p

(no, that's not a can on the gun pictured in my avatar ... thats my Steyr M40 with Carbine Kit ... the can is fake).

Well, if you live in a rural area, it can be very practical, particularly if you have livestock. Nothing like dropping feral dogs or coyotes without the rest of the pack scattering with the first shot.

For most urban dwellers, hearing protection in a SD or range setting would be the only "useful" context. Ironically, Europe is totally on-point with their general suppressor laws- a suppressor is the most practical hearing protector available. There would be quite a few less 40+ yo shooters saying, "Wazzat? Whatcha' say?", if suppressors were regulated by a 4473 and sold more reasonably.

FYI- cutting edge suppressors in 9mm are running +/-4" in length, and some .22 cans around 3". No more "glass-pack-off-my-Ford" look or feel.

Personaly i dont think i would bother with one myself even if they were totaly unregulated ( as they should be and would be were it not for game and fish dept.s lol )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Assistant Administrator
    Back in my UK days, I had a suppressor on a Remington semi .22 which was the cat's miaow for rabbit hunting.

I used Win subsonic (Hushpower) HP's and they were superb for the usual 50 yard type shots and there was minimal upset to other prospective ''victims'' in adjacent fields Yes, that is one ''can'' I would love to have again.

Beyond that - I can live without 'em and put the $200 to better use!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    When the SHTF and this county comes apart from within...

The man with the suppressed rifle and the will to use it WILL be KING.

Think about it...

Assistant Administrator
    The man with the suppressed rifle and the will to use it WILL be KING.
    Or if with a CAR 15 and can - called GunKid
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    Good reasons, but I'd pass.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Yea ya gotta have the debarked Chihuahuas and assault wheelbarrow to go with that rifle:rolf:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links