Question about recoil springs

This is a discussion on Question about recoil springs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does the following statement make sense? The heavier recoil spring also means that while the slide's recoiling, it's pressing harder back on the frame and ...

Does the following statement make sense?
    The heavier recoil spring also means that while the slide's recoiling, it's pressing harder back on the frame and on you.

The slide hitting, when it comes back, so hard as to throw the brass 20 to 50 feet is another nice indicator that you're getting more of a slam to your hand when this occurs.

I do not in the slightest dispute that others perceive no difference or no significant difference. That there IS no difference, though, or that no one would be affected by it, would be a different statement.

Lead Moderator
    Not sure but, it seems the heavier the spring, the less felt recoil, as the spring is absorbing more slide energy.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Not sure but, it seems the heavier the spring, the less felt recoil, as the spring is absorbing more slide energy.
    THAT is what I'd think too. Yet some guy on the 1911forum says heavier recoil spring means heavier felt recoil. Weird.

Lead Moderator
    I guess if you get a heavy enough spring the gun might recoil more before the spring started to give.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

There is probably a point where a spring can be too heavy and the recoil will get heavier but from what I've heard a little heavier will lessen recoil. This is what I was told, I have no personal experience to back this up. Factory springs work great for me.

Its right you also get more frame to slide battering with a heavy spring ... If you go from say 16# to 18# its not gonna make a big difference

Reason they say more recoil with heavy spring is the gun is absorbing most of recoil trying to get the slide to move which is forcing the gun farther back into your hand.

OD*
    Heavier recoil springs slow reward momentum, increase forward momentum. Maybe that's what he meant.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sponsor
    Heavier recoil springs mean brass flies less from the gun. If the brass is being thrown quite a ways from the gun, the spring should be heavier.

A heavier spring will make the gun recoil more, not less. It will also keep the rearward momentum of the slide from battering the frame unduly than a weaker spring.

Brass should not be traveling 20-50 feet from the gun, if it is, replace the recoil spring with a new one thats factory spec or put a heavier spring in the gun. The frame is taking a beating if the brass is being thrown that far.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My thoughts are that unless you have done something really off the wall with either your pistol , or your reloads the action of a pistol is engineered by folks a lot smarter than me to function reliably with what strangly enough is called FACTORY WEIGHT SPRINGS any change from this is in all likelyhood not going to assist reliablility of a stock or even close to stock pistol with normal range ammo.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Yes, you get more "impulse" back and forward, with a heavier spring. Really hot loads or sub-gun fodder really are the only variables that warrant much deviation from the factory#.

A lighter spring, with modest loads will feels much smoother, and recover faster. Glockracing has an interesting FAQ note on this, in particular that (in his experience) Glocks are not guns to worry about frame damage with going "too light" (within reason, of course).

Edit to add: recoil is subjective, but, in context, would you "feel" more recoil pushing a 124 gr 9mm 1400 FPS, and slamming the slide back and forth, or riding the pressure curve with the heavier spring (you feel more motion, but no jarring back-forward slamming)? Redneck is right, this is the province of hotrodders. ( ;
    Last edited by Rob72; June 16th, 2006 at 09:57 AM.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Glocks are not guns to woory about frame damage with, going "too light" (within reason, of course).
    oO( but are they microwave and dishwasher safe ? )

Sorry had to do it LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    oO( but are they microwave and dishwasher safe ? )

Sorry had to do it LOL
    Matter of fact they are cascade complete is reccomended

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Yes, you get more "impulse" back and forward, with a heavier spring. Really hot loads or sub-gun fodder really are the only variables that warrant much deviation from the factory#.

A lighter spring, with modest loads will feels much smoother, and recover faster. Glockracing has an interesting FAQ note on this, in particular that (in his experience) Glocks are not guns to worry about frame damage with going "too light" (within reason, of course).

Edit to add: recoil is subjective, but, in context, would you "feel" more recoil pushing a 124 gr 9mm 1400 FPS, and slamming the slide back and forth, or riding the pressure curve with the heavier spring (you feel more motion, but no jarring back-forward slamming)? Redneck is right, this is the province of hotrodders. ( ;
    Well, the original discussion I was in, was in reference to 10mm AP. So I suppose that might be considered a hotrod round, depending on the load of course.

Links