Range Report Ruger P95 (Not a Good Day)

This is a discussion on Range Report Ruger P95 (Not a Good Day) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went to the range this morning and decided to take my 17 Yr old brother along because he has never shot a pistol before. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report Ruger P95 (Not a Good Day)

I went to the range this morning and decided to take my 17 Yr old brother along because he has never shot a pistol before. I own a Ruger P95 that I have owned since I turned 21 and have put about 2000 rounds throught it without a single problem. well I showed my brother how to work it and what to do the first mag I gave him only had 5 rounds in it just so he could get use to the gun and that mag fired just fine so I loaded that mag with 15 rounds and let him go at it, well with that mag 3 rounds failed to chamber correctly and 1 failed to eject. I loaded the mag back up with 15 rounds and I went up to the line and empted the mag and again 2 rounds failed to chamber correcly and now the slide does not lock back when the mag is empty . Now I am getting a little mad so I break out the cleaning kit and show my brother how to clean a handgun hoping it fixes the problem and it was no luck same problem. I decide to try different ammo and same thing rounds fail to chamber and the slide doesn't stay back when the mag becomes empty. The first 25 rounds or so were remington 9MM luger and the second set of rounds were federal american eagels. Looks like I am going to have to take it to a gunsmith or even sent it back to Ruger

Did the same failure occur when you shot the pistol? If not, I'd bet your brother was 'limp wristing' as opposed to stiffening his grip. A lot of autos will fail when 'limp wristed'.

FWIW... this is not a comment on your brother's masculinity ;)

Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post
    Did the same failure occur when you shot the pistol? If not, I'd bet your brother was 'limp wristing' as opposed to stiffening his grip. A lot of autos will fail when 'limp wristed'.

FWIW... this is not a comment on your brother's masculinity ;)
    +1 If you didn't have the same issue when you fired it then it's probably a technique error.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit2001 View Post
    I went to the range this morning and decided to take my 17 Yr old brother along because he has never shot a pistol before. I own a Ruger P95 that I have owned since I turned 21 and have put about 2000 rounds throught it without a single problem. well I showed my brother how to work it and what to do the first mag I gave him only had 5 rounds in it just so he could get use to the gun and that mag fired just fine so I loaded that mag with 15 rounds and let him go at it, well with that mag 3 rounds failed to chamber correctly and 1 failed to eject. I loaded the mag back up with 15 rounds and I went up to the line and empted the mag and again 2 rounds failed to chamber correcly and now the slide does not lock back when the mag is empty . Now I am getting a little mad so I break out the cleaning kit and show my brother how to clean a handgun hoping it fixes the problem and it was no luck same problem. I decide to try different ammo and same thing rounds fail to chamber and the slide doesn't stay back when the mag becomes empty. The first 25 rounds or so were remington 9MM luger and the second set of rounds were federal american eagels. Looks like I am going to have to take it to a gunsmith or even sent it back to Ruger

How long has it been since you fired it last? I am leaning towards a cleaning/limp wristing issue myself.

If it is the gun, Ruger has some of the best customer service in the industry, call em up, ship it in, they will fix it or replace it for free.

They do not state their guarantee anywhere, kinda like Tommy Boy, "You can crap in a box and slap a sticker on it that says Guaranteed, but all you have is a guaranteed piece of $#!7"

If it is the gun, Ruger will make it right.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I'd go with the limp wristing. My buddy had the same problem I can shoot my p95 all day with factory rounds and it won't fail to chamber. as far as the slide not locking back make sure your fingers aren't hitting the slide release when you shoot, that's my biggest problem with the darn thing i always seem to hit that when I'm shooting. Have someone watch your fingers while you fire to see if they slide up and hit that release.

so I loaded that mag with 15 rounds and let him go at it, well with that mag 3 rounds failed to chamber correctly and 1 failed to eject. I loaded the mag back up with 15 rounds and I went up to the line and empted the mag and again 2 rounds failed to chamber correcly
    Since you also experienced the problem can we eliminate limp wristing as the trouble? How about the magazine? Did you try another magazine? Most problems I have experienced with autoloaders have actually been magazine problems. Of course I claim no expertise where bottom feeders are concerned.

Make sure he is gripping the gun high on the backstrap. The web of his hand should be all the way to the top of the gun. Guns don't like or dislike anyone. If that P95 is working for you, it is NOT the gun.

Yea sorry I forgot to mention that when I was shooting I was using a different mag and the failing to chamber issue went away but the slide not locking still occurred. so I am at a lost on the problem

Its off to Ruger it goes I just shipped it off today. Suck my pistol gets to take a vacation to Arizona without me.

I also have a P95. It has been my experience that the slide fails to lock back with an empty magazine when either 1) the magazine is not in all the way or, 2) my thumb is touching the lock.

If you have a dial caliper check the inside spread (between the feed lips) on both mags and compare the measurements. Sometimes a mag will spread slightly and cause problems.

The only problem I've had with my semi was due to a weak spring in the mag. Sent it back and they replaced it, no charge.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Yea thats what I thought of after I got home and I used two out of the three mags I own and who knows maybe there both out of wack. But I call Ruger anyways and told them what the gun did and what ammo I was using and they said they diffently wanted to look at the gun and both of the factory mags that I was using. I figured better safe then sorry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit2001 View Post
    Same magazine, or different magazines being used when the malfunction happened?

You might want to pull the magazine apart and clean it. The follower may be hanging up, not forcing the rounds into the chamber. If the follower isn't coming all the way up it won't lock the slide back either.

Just something to look at before shelling out the bucks to a gunsmith.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I got a lot of enjoyment out of my previous Ruger P89DC. Went through several years with me and going to the range. I can honestly say I never had a hitch with it through a few thousand rounds, and they'll eat anything you serve for dinner. Don't know much about the later models like the P95 and such, but I figure they (Ruger) followed along with things that worked for the most part. What I learned with my previous Ruger pistol was that they used aluminum alloy guide rods and an alloy frame. The tolerances of the machining seemed to be adequate and nothing more between frame and slide. Lubrication is a must even with liberal tolerances anywhere aluminum is concerned and in contact with harder or softer metals, and polished or not. I sort of miss mine every time one of these Ruger P series threads come up. I think they are a reliable pistol. Maintenance plays a part in reliability. Just like changing the oil in your car, or the air filter. Things wear out over time and use. Springs are what keep our semi auto pistols running. I'm sure Ruger will get to the bottom of things, and you'll be satisfied. Likely a new recoil assembly will do the trick, and I'm hoping it's something that simple. I feel for you sending your pistol away on vacation. I've sent firearms away on vacation before, so I know what it's like. Best of luck with this ordeal. Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links