Who can identify this gun?

Who can identify this gun?

This is a discussion on Who can identify this gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I already know what this gun is, but it is pretty old and unknown, so I'm just gonna throw it out there and see who ...

Thread: Who can identify this gun?

Question Who can identify this gun?

I already know what this gun is, but it is pretty old and unknown, so I'm just gonna throw it out there and see who bites. So who can tell me what it is?
    Attached Images
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well...I can see it is made by FN manufacturing. But thats the best I can do.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRyan View Post
    Well...I can see it is made by FN manufacturing. But thats the best I can do.
    +1 , definitely FN

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    can we get some closer pictures??
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg117-e.htm

My grandpa has one. Old browning/fn 1900

Definatly worth something i'd say.

We don't shoot pops one though.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Very close, but no cigar macattack. Take a look at the safety lever, its different.

Here are a couple more pictures, the pistol is unfortunately no longer in my possession, so you are going to have to go off of pictures I already have.
    Attached Images
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Macattack, you changed your answer, and you are correct, it is a FN 1900, forerunner to the 1903,1907, and 1911 designs by JMB. This one was all pitted and had no finish left, in pretty rough shape actually. And it neeeded about all the springs replaces

Unfortunately this weapon is not inside the USA, and probably not even in existence anymore, as it was found in a weapons cache in Afghanistan. I was just able to take a couple of pictures with it and play around with it a little bit before we had to send it further up the ladder.

So I didn't get to shoot it or anything, I don't know if it could shoot. But I still thought it was a pretty cool thing to find over there.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

yeah sorry i copied the wrong link at first. very cool piece of history. The 1911s great grandpa i assume
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

M1900 of the FN variety

A buddy of mine has one of those without a magazine, having a hard time finding one.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Nice find, thanks for the pics, Buckeye. I found quite a bit of "odd" stuff in various caches over there, from home-made shotguns to a pristine SMLE. Went on a few spelunking expeditions trying to find real British occupation era stuff (not the knock-offs that they bang up in their basements and try to sell for more than the real thing would be worth), but never found more than some broken stocks and rusty globs that used to be Enfield and Martini actions...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Nice find, thanks for the pics, Buckeye. I found quite a bit of "odd" stuff in various caches over there, from home-made shotguns to a pristine SMLE. Went on a few spelunking expeditions trying to find real British occupation era stuff (not the knock-offs that they bang up in their basements and try to sell for more than the real thing would be worth), but never found more than some broken stocks and rusty globs that used to be Enfield and Martini actions...
    you can find lots of crazy stuff in caches. Im sure some of it would have interesting stories to go with if you could ever hear them. i got to see about everything my unit found, since i could accurately identify most of it
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    you can find lots of crazy stuff in caches. Im sure some of it would have interesting stories to go with if you could ever hear them. i got to see about everything my unit found, since i could accurately identify most of it
    Yeah, I was kinda the "go to" guy for weird stuff we pulled out. Our S-5/NBC officer was also a gun guy (in fact, he owned a mid-sized gun store) so if there was ever anything I couldn't ID, he could.

Are the Joes still buying those pot-metal and pallet wood "Enfields" over there (for more than the real things are worth)? I tried and tried to get my guys to steer clear of those "antiques," but for some of them there was just no convincing...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Links