Help me spend my money

This is a discussion on Help me spend my money within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One thing I love about summer (Other then the nice weather of course) is the over time. Every year about this time I not only ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me spend my money

Help me spend my money

One thing I love about summer (Other then the nice weather of course) is the over time. Every year about this time I not only get a "Extra" pay check (Three pay periods in one month) I get a massive amount of overtime for about 2 months. When I say say massive I mean pretty massive. 70 hours a week 7 days a week for 2 months. This kinda sucks for the social life however it's very nice on the wallet which means it's nice on the gun safe :) I am limiting my self to one purchase this "quarter" and need some help spending my money. I currently own a Ruger LCP, Glock 26, Colt Series 80 1911 and Remington 870. To choose from are the following

AR-15 - Everyone needs one. I don't really need one but I think it would be fun to have. It wouldn't get a TON of use though. Since the nearest outdoor range is about 45 mins away and I hate shooting when it's cold I would probably only get to shoot it 10-15 times a year. On the plus side they are fun to mod out and a "battle riffle" is something that is missing from my collection.

Glock 17 - My 1911 is my current night stand gun. It's serves this purpose well but it would be nice to have my night stand and CCW guns use the same batter of arms. It would also be nice to have a gun with a rail so I can stick a light on it.

I think out of all of them the 17 would get the most use as I can shoot it at the indoor and the out door. However the "what if" in the back of my head keeps coming up with reasons that having a AR would be a good idea. Eventually I will buy both but which do you think should be my summer present to myself?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Rollo,

Go with the AR. Your handgun needs are covered. Remember the difference between "want" and "need". The G17 looks like more of a "want" than a "need".

Cover the needs before the wants.

Also, the AR, as you stated yourself, will give you endless possibilities on personalization. Lots of options there.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Rollo,

Go with the AR. Your handgun needs are covered. Remember the difference between "want" and "need". The G17 looks like more of a "want" than a "need".

Cover the needs before the wants.

Also, the AR, as you stated yourself, will give you endless possibilities on personalization. Lots of options there.

Good luck!
    Hi Rollo, what RoadRunner said!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I agree with RoadRunner too.

I was torn getting a 1911 over an AR-15.

My main carry is my Berretta 96FS Vertec (40 S&W) that I love, I do like the 1911... but I don't own a rifle. Yes the AR-15 is more expensive.... BUT I'd rather save up to get what I need rather than blowing it on one more gun that I want.

My 2 cents...
    "Someday someone may kill you with your own gun but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Since a lever gun isn't on the "approved list", I guess I would have to concur with everyone else and say the AR should be next.

VIP Member
    You didn't say how old you are. Anyway, SAVE.

Of course you can and should treat yourself and your family, but SAVE.

There may come a time when you won't have all that overtime or the energy to do it.

As a genuine tightwad, I got used to always asking myself a question before I bought something. "How long did I have to work to get the after-tax money I'm about to spend?"

The 500 dollar gun means you probably had to gross around 900 pre-tax bucks.

Don't deny yourself, but money can be put to lots of good use without accumulating "stuff."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    You didn't say how old you are. Anyway, SAVE.

Of course you can and should treat yourself and your family, but SAVE.

There may come a time when you won't have all that overtime or the energy to do it.

As a genuine tightwad, I got used to always asking myself a question before I bought something. "How long did I have to work to get the after-tax money I'm about to spend?"

The 500 dollar gun means you probably had to gross around 900 pre-tax bucks.

Don't deny yourself, but money can be put to lots of good use without accumulating "stuff."
    My wife would love you Hop LOL LOL, she's the ultimate tightwad, she can make $20.00 last 3 months given the right circumstances.

I have to agree with you though
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

To be honest I am actually a pretty serious tight wad myself. I have a strict budget and I stick to it. Not so much because I have to but because I like to have a nice savings account to fall back on even though It's just me. I'll make about 6 thousand in over time and 5 of that will go directly into savings. Taking a grand and buying myself something nice is kind of my reward for working my self half to death for 2 1/2 months straight :)

As for a lever gun... I LOVE the concept of the level gun. It's a classic. I love the look. I love just about everything about it. What I DON't love about it is the limited ammo capacity and the relatively short range. I could get over the capacity to be honest (Make every shot count) but I'm just not impressed with the calibers. If I could get a lever action is something like..... 30-06 or true .308 I would jump on it. 30-30 just doesn't impress me for defensive range and ballistics.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Look at your armory: you've got 3 handguns and a shotgun. I see a few voids - no rifle, no revolver, and no rimfires. (Gee - the 'new' 3 Rs?)

Blending your desires with Hopyard's sage advice, my suggestion is to develop a specific budget for your next acquisition so you don't take the kid-in-a-candy-store approach.

Clearly, the AR is the most expensive of your noted choices, and you indicated a desire to trick it out. I'm sure you've seen the M4 SOPMOD poster ("like Barbies for men") - it's real easy to get carried away and hang $2K worth of stuff with limited utility for your mission on a $1200 gun. If you choose the AR as your next purchase, please study all the stuff posted here and in AR15.com for guidance on what to get. There is no economy in buying an AR based on initial price alone.

Just one more thought: since you already have a basic armory, how about investing in some good training? That's quite literally the "gift that keeps on giving." Some good names to consider are Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch), Louis Awerbuck, Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) and Jeff Gonzales. All these fine gents teach you how to fight - not just how to shoot.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Go with the AR - you can get good shooting it 10 to 15 times a year. Heck, that's probably more than most people shoot theirs! Besides, you already have a handgun.

Grab one, they are a BLAST to shoot!

I would go with the AR as well, have fun with whatever you choose.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

If you opt for a firearm my choice would be a "basic" AR like the Colt 6920 or the Rock River Arms Entry Tactical.

This was the best selection, in my opinion however:

Just one more thought: since you already have a basic armory, how about investing in some good training? That's quite literally the "gift that keeps on giving." Some good names to consider are Mas Ayoob, Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch), Louis Awerbuck, Pat Rogers (EAG Tactical) and Jeff Gonzales. All these fine gents teach you how to fight - not just how to shoot.
    Biker

It looks to me like a rifle would be a good addition to your gun safe. AR's are great, but can get pricey. I thought I was done with my last set of upgrades to mine, but Magpul keeps making stuff I want.

308 Marlin Express Series Take a look there. Also worth considering is a pistol caliber lever action carbine, in say .357. It makes for a light, handy little package with decent capacity (9+1), although I'm not sure I'd use it much past 100 or 150 yards.

And just to throw another wrench into this. If you can get over the capacity thing and just want the caliber of like .308 or .30-06 in a lever action, why not just get a bolt action in one of those calibers. As a good bolt action and the skills to use it are things everyone should have.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

My mortgage is held by chase bank,you can either pay it direct,or just paypal me the amount,or we can go to Disney World
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Between your choices, I would pick the AR.

On a side note, you can get a lever gun in the calibers that you mentioned, in a BLR. The BLR utilizes a magazine, also. A plus for fast reloads, however I'm not aware of any high capacity mags. I believe that you're stuck with a 5 round, but I'm not positive.

On a second side note, the advice for training is real. It's amazing what a person is capable of, with the right training.

Ok, a 3rd side note: another plug for the AR. I know that you like to research and buy stuff and I'm jealous of you for it With the AR, your unlimited in what you can do. The amount of custom options; you can make it your own creation. Aaaannnnd... with a rifle in your arsenal, you could consider some 3 gun matches

Oh, and your gonna need optics, BUIS, mags, lights, lasers, forends, gear bags, and on and on You'll love it, and we'll get to read your posts and pictures about all of your adventures
    Last edited by zacii; June 20th, 2010 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links