Smith auto

Smith auto

This is a discussion on Smith auto within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone know anything about Model 459 9mm autos and are they worth picking up seems on gun trader. They're fetching a good price. I ...

Thread: Smith auto

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar

Smith auto

Does anyone know anything about Model 459 9mm autos and are they worth picking up seems on gun trader. They're fetching a good price. I have the opportunity to buy one from a private party for $350. Thanks for any input. BTWwill be in Tuscon this week and will check back on this on Sunday.

Carried a 459 for several years including a large part of my time while on SWAT. Then carried it for a time while I was in Investigations until we were issued 6904. I've beat it around quite a bit on and off duty carry. Mine is a great shooter, never given me a lick of trouble, and one of my favorite 9mm. The trigger has been slicked and a set of Wolff springs. I also swapped out the backstrap for an arched which gives it almost a Sig feel.
    Couldn't tell you what the going price is on one these days.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    The 459 is a 2nd generation S&W auto. I must admit that most of my knowledge of S&W autos pertains to 3rd generation pistols. I don't know what the current prices are for the 2G models, but if in good shape and you like it, go for it.

You can, however, find 3Gs used in great shape at or less than that price. Check out www.cdnninvestments.com and download there current catalog or go to www.summitgunbroker.com and check out his stuff. I recently ordered some mags from him and got great service. I have seen nothing but positive stuff about him on the net.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Smith autos are kind of the red headed step child of autos , they don't get a lot of respect on boards ect.. but they are fine little pistols and are frankly a bargain at what they sell for
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

the s&w auto have a bad rep. but they are good guns. if can get one at a good price, then get it. i have an old m39. the first gen of the 9mm auto. this gun keeps on shooting, and i don't do much to it. it is my "throw down" gun. don't know much about the used smith and wesson prices. check around if it looks good get it. the s&w auto make good shooters. i feel you can not go wrong with a cheap/used s&w 9mm.

VIP Member
    These S&W autos are stout good shooters. I've never owned a second or first generation S&W (I have two third generation guns), but they are good guns....of course the second generation S&W's are better tuned to handle hollowpoints which the first generation guns would sometimes balk at.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    I have a Model 439 which is the single stack second generation semi-automatic from S&W. I have had it since 1992 and have never had any kind of trouble with it. It is accurate and feeds what I put into it. I do not find it overly heavy. In fact I find the aluminum frame to be unbelievably light. It is a great pistol.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

thanks every one i put it on layawayit is in verry good condition and i think ill like it little sorry the stock mag had to be kept buy the dealer
    bucause it was a 14 rounder but he got me a ten

one more question or mabey two .ispacapt dose yours have a lanyard loop?the one i put on layaway has the loop and about 99%finish is verry nice.looked them up an gun trader when my buddy was selling it to me and seen a low bid of 600 i paid 350 pluse tax and dross fees came to 423 total hope i made a good buy.
    drcmg. thata a good looking weapon do you carry it seems the sites would make it hard to carry .and do you like the wood vrs the plastic grips?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssssthesnake
    drcmg. thata a good looking weapon do you carry it seems the sites would make it hard to carry .and do you like the wood vrs the plastic grips?
    The Smith is not my carry weapon, but I have on occasion carried it. I have an old Safariland model 28 pancake holster that it fits very well. The sights, especially the front sight, look like they are larger than they really are.

The 439 is such a sweet shooter the wooden grips work fine. Of course 23 years of handling has smoothed the points.

By the way, just before the ban on high capacity mags I bought a 15 round and a 30 round magazine thinking I would buy a 459. Later when I found one I discovered that I did not like the thicker grip required by the double stack mag. If you are interested I can let you have them both for $5.00 plus shipping. Just send me a PM and we can make the arrangements.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

".ispacapt dose yours have a lanyard loop?"

The factory straight backstrap has a lanyard loop. I put an arched backstrap on mine which doesn't have the loop. It wasn't something I used and the arched gives the old 2X4 a nice feel.

wish i could D.R. but alas i l;ive in californiastan and any thing over ten is a big no no

Links