How many extra magazines do you take to the range?

This is a discussion on How many extra magazines do you take to the range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I go to the range to practice I have 7 magazines that I take in my range bag. I'd rather shoot more and spend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many extra magazines do you take to the range?

Distinguished Member

How many extra magazines do you take to the range?

When I go to the range to practice I have 7 magazines that I take in my range bag. I'd rather shoot more and spend less time reloading.

However I've never see anyone there with more than one or two. With my extra magazines and Shoot-N-C targets I almost feel a bit over the top.

Also I noticed for the first time they have signs up saying only load 5 rounds. Oops. I've been loading to capacity (10). The RSO never said anything to me but maybe thats because there usually aren't more than 2 or 3 people there, yesterday I was the only one. Either way I'll make sure I limit my loading now so I don't break the rules.

2. Remove Ads

I have three for each weapon...but what ever floats your boat is correct...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

6 mags for my 1911.

2 came with the gun.
    2 are CMC shooting stars that I bought at my LGS.
    1 is a Tripp Cobra mag. (Primary carry mag that goes in the gun)
    1 is a Wilson Combat 47D mag. (Back-up mag that goes on my hip for EDC)

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    I have three for each weapon...but what ever floats your boat is correct...
    X2.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I usually only bring one. This is for several reasons:

First: At the indoor range I currently shoot at, you must buy their ammunition. Wolf is $17 for a box of 50 (Edit: for 9mm). By only having one magazine, I force myself to spend time reloading so that I don't go through a box in 5 minutes. I enjoy my time at the range and like to make it last.

Second: I want recovery time. If I had 5 magazines of 15 each all loaded and ready to go, and I hammered through all of them as fast as I could shoot, there would be no recovery time and my accuracy would suffer. Furthermore, I think it could potentially lead to me developing bad shooting habits. I like to take my time, both shooting and recovering after shooting a few rounds. That's not to say that I don't like to rapid-fire through a magazine every now and then

Third: On my EDC, I like to leave a magazine loaded with my SD ammo so that when I'm done at the range, all I have to do is insert the magazine and rack the slide. I don't want to have a bunch of bullets lying around loose somewhere.
    Last edited by Striker543; June 21st, 2010 at 07:05 PM.

I leave my SD ammo in the mags used to cc (2). I use other mags (4) at the range. I have six total. I try to take my time at the range.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    Second: I want recovery time. If I had 5 magazines of 15 each all loaded and ready to go, and I hammered through all of them as fast as I could shoot, there would be no recovery time and my accuracy would suffer. Furthermore, I think it could potentially lead to me developing bad shooting habits. I like to take my time, both shooting and recovering after shooting a few rounds. That's not to say that I don't like to rapid-fire through a magazine every now and then
    You probably wouldn't have much of a target left after 75 rounds either. ;)

Even with 7 on hand I still change targets every 2, maybe 3, magazines to get that recovery. I'm essentially only reloading every 3rd target change.

Five for whatever I shoot, including loaders for wheelies. This is in addition to cc stuff that stays on me.

Agree re the target changes.

I also bring my own target stand so I can shoot whatever in between ranges i like.

I usually only bring one. This is for several reasons:

First: At the indoor range I currently shoot at, you must buy their ammunition. Wolf is $17 for a box of 50. By only having one magazine, I force myself to spend time reloading so that I don't go through a box in 5 minutes. I enjoy my time at the range and like to make it last.
    WOW...glad I can bring in my own ammo...picked up 150 rds of Federal for the range at Walmart for $41...

Edit...bad math on my part...you really didn't pay much more than I did...

Recovery time is good...I use my three to load various #'s of rounds, depending on what I'm working on...so if I shoot, for example, one magazine with 5 rounds, then another with 5 rds, I might be practicing reloading on the fly...then comes a target change and recovery time...

Third: On my EDC, I like to leave a magazine loaded with my SD ammo so that when I'm done at the range, all I have to do is insert the magazine and rack the slide. I don't want to have a bunch of bullets lying around loose somewhere.
    I understand that...I purchased a plastic case to off-load my personal protection ammo when I shoot...stuff that into the range bag so it's out of sight, out of mind, until I'm getting ready to leave the range...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

I take 6-8 mags for each of 4-6 guns...I usually have the wife with me and that covers both of us.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Keep the sd ammo in the mags and take 3 others. I use a speed loader so its no big deal to load up the mags.

I have two 15 round mags for EDC. I have three 10 round mags that I use at the range. There is no science behind that number for me, it's just what I happen to own. The three 10s were given to me with the gun. The two 15s I bought to carry.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Depends on what I'm doing at the range.

I don't go to the range "to shoot" - I go to work on a specific skillset that involves live fire.

For example, Shooting to slidelock, reloading and resuming shooting. For this I will use 3 magazines, loaded with 1 to 3 round each, and I will attempt to shoot a 4x6 index card at 7 yards keeping all rounds on target.

The amount of mags is contingent on the drill.

my kimber Aegis? How ever many happen to be in the range bag... 3-6.
    my 22? 2, cuz its what I have.
    my XD(M)? 2. it comes with 2... and each hold 19. I dont think ill ever need much more than 2.

edit: but for normal range trips i probably load up 1-2 mags at a time. (or half the mag for the XD(M))
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I bring all the magazines I own for the particular gun that I will be shooting that day. I Like to make sure that ALL of my magazines work and feed reliably
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links