AR-15 scope

This is a discussion on AR-15 scope within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a flattop AR carbine I am accessorizing. I would like to mount a scope on it with quick detachable rings. I would also ...

Thread: AR-15 scope

AR-15 scope

I have a flattop AR carbine I am accessorizing. I would like to mount a scope on it with quick detachable rings. I would also like to have a folding rear sight on there at the same time. Is this feasible? I went to a local shop today and the guy behind the counter did not really have an option for me. We could not figure out a way for there to be enough room for both. I do not want to mount the scope on top of the carry handle.

Thanks!
    Culture cannot be inherited. The culture of previous ages will vanish unless each new generation wins it for itself again and again. Only that for which we have worked, or even suffered, truly belongs to us. - Zoltan Kodaly

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I have been happy with the normal M-4 rear sight. They are inexpensive too if you find one pulled off someone's rifle.

as for the BUIS, common ones are:

Plastic Magpul BUIS: Magpul BUIS Rear - Black [MAG246BLK] - $54.95 : US Armorment, The Art & Science of Shooting. Shooting Supplies, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes, Gun Parts & Accessories

Troy BUIS: Troy SKD Folding Battle Sight- Rear, FBS-RA1.SKD

I still haven't found a good AR-15 optic that is sturdy, accurate, and cheap so I am all ears to what others suggest.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

what kind of optic do you want, like a traditional rifle scope, or some sort of illuminated combat optic? What are you going to us it for?

it is certainly feasible, with a wide variety of options.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    There are plenty of optics out there that will fit your AR, and you can mount a folding BUIS under most of them. The larger high magnification scopes will usually block deployment of the BUIS, but if you're just looking for a 1-4X or something similar, sometimes they're small enough to fit in front of the BUIS and still have correct eye relief.

If you're looking for quick-detach hardware, check LaRue. He's got plenty.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

mine with both....

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    What is your budget?

I have one of these Leupold || Mark AR 1.5-4x20mm on a riser (a riser or tall rings are a good idea on an AR) In front of a non-folding rear sight. My rifle has a quad rail mount handguard which does allow for longer scopes.

Leupold also has a 1-3X tactical optic that could feasibly function for close in and moderate range Leupold || Mark 4 1-3x14mm CQ/T.

Many of the folding sights will sit underneath the scope, but will be unusable unless the scope is removed.

Another option I fin appealing is an Aimpoint with their 3X magnifier on a quick release mount.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member
    I've run several set-ups. One was a Leupold VX-1 2-7x scope with BUIS behind/under it - this worked fine. This was on a B-Square mount that wasn't QD, per se, but it was pretty quick to get off. Another was/is an EOTech w/ a 3x magnifier on a flip-to-side mount behind it, and BUIS behind that. This is an extrememly versatile way to go, though it isn't cheap and it's heavier than a "traditional" scope. I've also run 4x and 2.5x ACOGs - these are great options as well (but, again, not cheap).

+1 on LaRue - if he doesn't have mounts for it, it doesn't exist. You should absolutely be able to run a "standard" low/medium power scope with a BUIS on your flat top; it's a good set up for medium range shooting to be sure.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

My Primary Arms Cantilever Mount and scope, M.I. flip-up rear sight.

Primary Arms
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Lots of ideas..

I already have the scope, sorry I was not specific enough. It is just a standard Burris 3-9x40 rifle scope. I do not have a mono rail flattop, just the a3 style receiver - that is where we were running into problems the other day. Basically I need something pretty short in length so it does not run off the rail or run into the BUIS. I do not want to co-witness the BUIS with the scope, it is there so I can (hopefully) quick detach the scope and flip up the sight.

Thanks again, helpful information thus far!

Edit: Budget is not a great concern for this part, as long as it is not astronomical. I can pay up to $150, but less is better.
    Culture cannot be inherited. The culture of previous ages will vanish unless each new generation wins it for itself again and again. Only that for which we have worked, or even suffered, truly belongs to us. - Zoltan Kodaly

Any other advice from anyone? I would appreciate as many different ideas as possible!

Thanks again

Links