Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range?

This is a discussion on Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rollo I would never directly say something to some one. I would report the behavior to the range master or some other ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I would never directly say something to some one. I would report the behavior to the range master or some other range staff.
    There's no reason for you not to politely advise somebody. It could keep them or you from getting hurt.

And remember, anybody can call a ceasefire at any time if they witness an unsafe condition on the range.

If they don't take to polite correction, then a range officer is definitely in order.

2. Remove Ads

I have on more than one occasion notified the RSO and then sat back and watched the fireworks so to speak...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

i guess would kinda depend on the range setup.
    the range i go to now is very quiet and is outdoors. i rarely see anyone there. If I did and they were being oviously unsafe, I would most likely say something.
    If I were at an indoor range with range officers, i would inform the range officer.
    I used to be a range officer / president of our pistol club at school, so correcting people is pretty much all i did 4 days a week.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Ex Member
    DAMN RIGHT. Anyone here from Indy? Remember the old Dons Guns range on 96 street? I was there 12-15 years ago when two guys and one girl came in and were put on the lane next to me. I could smell alcohol, and pot on them. They were waving their firearms everywhere. I asked them to be cool, they continued, I left. As I left I told the counter guy they were unsafe and drunk/stoned. 10 minutes later the girl dropped a cheap pistol, don't remember what brand. It went off, shot her in the chest, and she bled to death before the medics arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    DAMN RIGHT. Anyone here from Indy? Remember the old Dons Guns range on 96 street? I was there 12-15 years ago when two guys and one girl came in and were put on the lane next to me. I could smell alcohol, and pot on them. They were waving their firearms everywhere. I asked them to be cool, they continued, I left. As I left I told the counter guy they were unsafe and drunk/stoned. 10 minutes later the girl dropped a cheap pistol, don't remember what brand. It went off, shot her in the chest, and she bled to death before the medics arrived.
    Reminds me of a range here. The last time I shot there, a guy swept me with his Ruger auto, and three guys wrestled over a loaded Remington 870, while yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian, all in the space of no more than 15 minutes. I've never been on that range again. It's been something like eight years. There's more "supervision" at a British soccer riot. They've had several people commit suicide on the range.

Thankfully I've never had to deal with any idiots at the range so I have no clue how I would react. I most likely would leave and report.

can't stand getting sweeped by someone elses muzzle at the range. i'd hate to get shot just because someone's a moron. i just tell the range master though, not looking for confrontation with armed idiots.

I got yelled at by the RSO last time for practicing quick aiming. Apparently at this range it is not allowed to lower the gun in-between shots...
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Reminds me of a range here. The last time I shot there, a guy swept me with his Ruger auto, and three guys wrestled over a loaded Remington 870, while yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian, all in the space of no more than 15 minutes. I've never been on that range again. It's been something like eight years. There's more "supervision" at a British soccer riot. They've had several people commit suicide on the range.
    Did you record all that?

Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedwilly View Post
    Did you record all that?
    No, should I have?

Local TV stations recorded the aftermaths of the suicides which took place on that range.

If it's really bad, learn to walk backwards and leave to live another day.

This is why I pay more than most to belong to a private range. Out of 400+ members, 250-300 (me included) have earned their RSO Certification and thus earned a right to use a special metal range.
    The first RSO to any of the range sites, takes over as the range officer. This also means that 3/4 of the range members know how to oversee the range...just more safety all the way around. There is also a 'living on the premises' 'head honcho' who oversees all.
    I have never observed careless activity...it wouldn't last long on our range.
    Are there visitors who make mistakes? Yes, but they are quickly dealt with and they either correct the errors, or leave the range...sometimes permanently. Issues like these are rare at our facility.

This place... Gainesville Target Range, Inc. | NRA Membership Only Facility
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; June 23rd, 2010 at 12:05 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I like the courses offered at your facility ret. Looks like a nice place.

I shoot at private property private ranges shooting with people I know.

I have no problem getting on someone who commits an unsafe act, although it is very rare to do so. People who have their own ranges usually are pretty safe shooters.

I also shoot at an outdoor Dept. of Conservation range. There is no on site range officer. Since it is located in a rural county, it is rarely crowded. While I have no problem addressing safety violations, I have yet to have to do so when at that particular range.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

However, I will say there are ranges that believe the following:

- Carrying an UNloaded gun in a holster is unsafe

- Carrying a loaded gun in a holster is unsafe

- More than 2 shots in less than 1 second is unsafe

- Walking towards a target while shooting is unsafe--even when supervised

- Carrying a spare mag is unsafe

So, it depends on where you live...personally, I find standard point shooting, no holster, no tac reloading, no failure to stop/reverse failure to stop drills---boring.

This is why I haven't been back to my Dad's range (where he is a member in ILL-annoy) in 16 years...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I've been known to deal with unsafe practices that I see at the range, of course being a RO and a new instructor does have something to do with it.

When we're out in the desert we usually police each other.

So I guess that yeah, me and my friends do confront others when we see unsafe practices.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links