Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range? - Page 3

Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range?

This is a discussion on Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; as far as ranges having 'annoying' rules (from my perspective as a former RO): There are a lot of stupid and ignorant people that come ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    as far as ranges having 'annoying' rules (from my perspective as a former RO):
    There are a lot of stupid and ignorant people that come to ranges as I am sure you know. As an RO, its IMPOSSIBLE to be watching everyone at once. It is unfortunate, but necessary to make rules that limit the safe smart shooters from doing things they want to do, and can safely do, in order to help prevent the stupid people from doing stupid things.
    Having said that, I can't stand going to normal indoor ranges with such rules. That's why I go to a more private range with much less people, outdoors, when we can do more or less what we want to as long as its safe.

What I had at my range (it was a university range, so a bit different then your normal ranges):
    - a few nights a week was the 'normal' pistol club: there were rules. you may not have gun in holster. may not have gun out of case unless at the line pointing down range, etc.
    - also a few nights a week we had 'practical pistol club': combo of IDPA shooting and normal shooting for more advanced shooters. still no having loaded gun in holster unless at the line, but unloaded is fine (ei, normal idpa style rules). note: this was on school property- in a "classroom" in michigan- so CC was legally not allowed anyways
    - if the more advance people wanted to do some drawing from holsters, etc during the other days, we would often let them after the normal time was up and the 'noobs' had left
    - having said that, this kind of setup is less of an option at normal ranges. people want to come at any point in time and do what they want to do. If I ran a normal range, I would most likely have 2 sections to the range, seperated by wall. one for shooters which have proven to me to be compitent (ei, taken a coarse with me, etc), and one for noobs, each side having different rules.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

At my gun club each member is a range officer so I must “confront” any breach of regulations or gun safety when I see it or I risk being ejected from the club. No matter how nice you are some people will not take it kindly or in the spirit it was intended. So-be-it! If you are not handling a gun safely and give me a hard time when I tell you about it I will have you ejected so fast you won't know what hit you.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I go to a public range where just about anyone can go to shoot.

If I see anything unsafe I will say something politely about their practices. That is how people learn to be safe with firearms because they may not be thinking safety first.

Why wouldn't you want to correct some unsafe behavior before it goes out to injure or kill someone unintentionally?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That depends on the gravity of the infraction and if it is seen by the rangemaster.

Muzzle me and I will be on you like white on rice.
    Me too, that's something I don't tolerate from anyone.

Glad I don't shoot at an indoor range anymore. The outdoor range that I go to not only allows me to do combat firing, I have yet to witness anyone commit a safety violation. I wished I could have went to that outdoor range much sooner since I have witnessed more safety violation and immature shooters at indoor ranges in the past. No wonder indoor ranges also got more stricter rules too.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; June 24th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.

Being a NRA TC level CRSO, You bet I "address " UNSAFE shooters., whether I am the RO or NOT,

BTW in over 45 years of shooting, I have done the SAME, It is YOUR responsibility, to keep the "line" SAFE.

Yes you may not win "friends" but ......! IT IS MY A** & Yours.

Puffer

I have no problem in trying to correct a safety issue at the range. Did so just about a month ago. Guy to lanes down had a laser on his pistol. The laser was sweeping all over the place. I went over and politely asked him to keep his pistol pointed downrange since his laser could been seen sweeping all over the place. He replied "yea but it wasn't always loaded"...

I packed up and left.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

I don't know that I've ever paid any attention to what someone else at the range is doing. I'm busy keeping myself straight.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    I don't know that I've ever paid any attention to what someone else at the range is doing. I'm busy keeping myself straight.
    If the guy next to you negligently shoots you, it's going to be REALLY tough to keep yourself "straight", especially if he shoots you in the head and kills you.

If the somebody else shoot somebody on the range, even if it's not you, you may quickly find yourself in search of a new place to shoot.

Our club is EXTREMELY serious about safety. It could take just one person getting shot to close us down.

Last Saturday when I went to the indoor range (don't shoot there anymore though I still buy stuff there and I know several people, including the one who sold me my first gun and another who knew me from the old neighborhood/still drop by there to shoot the breeze too as well as look at some accessories) at Pembroke's Superior Pawn and Gun to buy more silhouette targets, one moron was holding a pistol pointing it in everyone's direction. I told him politely to watch where his Ruger P-95 pistol's muzzle is pointing at and he just gave me a dirty look, ignored me, and left. Sure his pistol has its slide open but I still see what he is doing as an unsafe practice. Other customers along with me shook our heads in disbelief after I tactfully corrected him. If he doesn't want to be hassled like that, he needs to use a pistol case or buy one. After I bought and paid for my 12 transitional silhouette targets, I then cautiously walked outside to see if he might be waiting on me and planning some revenge for correcting him in front of everyone. Again, some people don't like it no matter how polite you are and yuo never know. Although ready for it, glad he was already gone with his other shooting buddy.

I have resisted getting pissed when I have been properly reminded to get away from the firing line, etc., as have my other gun brothers. It's time to grow up and be mature and take it when it is due to you. Be nice and apologize.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links