Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range?

This is a discussion on Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I use the word confront to mean comment on. I have gone to the shooting range often, and almost without fail, I see some one ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range?

Do you “confront” unsafe practices when you see them at the shooting range?

I use the word confront to mean comment on.

I have gone to the shooting range often, and almost without fail, I see some one doing something unsafe or just plane mindboggling.

For example, I have seen people shoot the ceiling several times. I have seen them shoot walls. I have seen “newbies” with there hand in the trigger while they are talking to other people. I have seen “newbies” send the target all the way down range and unload 17 shots rapidly without hitting the target.

Some of the time the range master witnesses this, and I have even seen people asked to leave for these behaviors.

My issue is that with all the crazies out there, I don’t always feel comfortable saying something to a new shooter. And when I have said something, they usually just blow me off.

Just to be clear, when I do comment at the range, I am super nice and try to give solid advice in a positive way - so a crazy doesn’t decide to shoot me if they don’t like my advice.

I guess I could always just inform the range master.

By the way, I searched and couldn’t find this subject, so forgive me if it has already been discussed.

2. Remove Ads

That depends on the gravity of the infraction and if it is seen by the rangemaster.

Muzzle me and I will be on you like white on rice.

I have never confronted anyone, once I told the range officer about what I saw.

A father brought his three younger sons to the range and wasn't paying attention to them. One of the boys was holding a handgun outside of the firing line with the magazine in and the slide was not locked back and he was not watching where he was pointing the gun.

That is the only time I have said something.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    That depends on the gravity of the infraction and if it is seen by the rangemaster.

Muzzle me and I will be on you like white on rice.
    Had one sweep me the other day, just so happened to be one of the range employees, his cheeks were red when I asked him to stop...If your going to correct someone, try to be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Had one sweep me the other day, just so happened to be one of the range employees, his cheeks were red when I asked him to stop...If your going to correct someone, try to be nice.
    I probably should have added that. I nearly always start soft in everything and go from there.

Senior Moderator
    You bet...I never miss an opportunity to correct bad behavior.

A seemingly insignificant safety infraction could eventually lead to a behavior that could become fatal.

Of course, it helps being the Range-master.Since I am expected too, I can get away with it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I probably should have added that. I nearly always start soft in everything and go from there.
    Me too.... unless somebody covers me or someone else, or looks like they're about to.

Then:

Quote Originally Posted by George S Patton
    I give it to 'em loud and dirty, and then they'll remember it.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

I shoot at an outdoor membership range,they tell you that everybody is equally responsible for safety when you go thru the indoctrination,I was at the range teaching a guy how to shoot handguns when another guy showed up,we seized fire while hye put up a target,he walked back and range went hot,out of the corner of my eye I noticed he walked past the firing line about 10 yards and started drawing and firing a S&W 357,I yelled at him and asked if he really thought it was safe to be out there when other people are shooting behind the firing line,He said sorry and moved back behind the line,I could have got his membership number and turned him in for a safety violation which could have got him kicked off the range after a hearing and vote
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by erust2 View Post
    I have seen “newbies” send the target all the way down range and unload 17 shots rapidly without hitting the target.
    The distance of the target has nothing to do with the MOA of their grouping so who cares? Let them miss and shoot into the backstop.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Depends on other factors...

- Are there others present? (I want witnesses)
    - Can I discuss without embarrassing the guy (if he's with wife/gf/kids, etc.)
    - Is he really fumbling because he doesn't know his gun?
    - What's his attitude like?

I'm more along the lines of teaching/mentoring vs embarrassment--it depends on the individual. If you treat someone with respect, they're more likely to remember the lesson, vs the _____ at the range. If they want to continue to act stupid, I can beat them with the stupid stick.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    My range is MY range. It is at my house. Therefore I am supreme master of all . They will stop when told to do so, and any unsafe actions will be discussed and dealt with accordingly.
    Usually its just family,(mine and my brothers kids) but every now and then others are brought along.
    They are watched closely by myself and my nephew.

Lily Tomlin:
    Ninety-eight percent of the adults in this country are decent, hardworking, honest
    Americans. It's the other lousy two percent that get all the publicity. But then, we elected them.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I am very lucky, the Range Masters at the range where I shoot are very, very good and don't miss much. It's a smaller range, and each Range Master only has about six lanes to keep track of.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    You bet your behind I do! (Actually, I bet my behind). It is amazing the things some people will do with a firearm. Accidents don't just happen... people are responsible for them.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I would never directly say something to some one. I would report the behavior to the range master or some other range staff.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm a range officer, you bet I do.

I have in the past and will in the future if necessary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links