Defensive Carry banner

Clueless Bank Security Guard.

4K views 48 replies 41 participants last post by  INccwchris 
#1 ·
Clueless Bank Security Guard.:confused:

Thought I'd share an interesting experience I had today.

About noon time in downtown West Hartford Connecticut I was walking to a Sub shop for lunch. Passing a Bank I see a security guard standing outside on the sidewalk.

I greet him with "Hi, warm day to be out here." He smiled saying "Yea." I have this habit of checking out what LEO's and the like have holstered, so I notice a S&W 686 on his hip. Thinking to myself that's a cool sidearm, so I say "Hey nice revolver, most guys carry autos." He says "Yea". So I ask him ".357?" He says,"I don't know, but they tell me these are very reliable guns" :rolleyes: I said,"Yes, top of the line."

Taken back by his response, I realize he is here for show. I look at him standing in front of the Bank completely clueless about the weapon on his utility belt. Wondering to myself and even hoping that it wasn't loaded as I walked away. :tumbleweed:

#9 ·
:rofl:You beat me to it.

#7 ·
God knows who he'll shoot if the place gets robbed!:gah:

#10 ·
Can someone say, "negligence." Because, that is what the company he works for is--- negligent. If the fates decree that he must use that thing, the company who stuck him out there unprepared should be held responsible; and they will be.

Poor fella. For what is probably near minimum wage he is risking his life and more.

#12 ·
Reminds me of some of the armored guards I see changing out cash on the ATM machines in the mall. It's always only one guy and while I hate to judge a book by it's cover they usually look a little disheveled. For all I know he could be a top shot but they just don't instill that confidence in you.

Conversely, one time I was at a bank and there were two armored guards there. One covering the entrance/lobby and the other in the back dropping/off picking up. These guys meant business. Uniforms tailored and pressed with body armor over them. The guy in the back had a full size Glock and the one watching the door had a 1911. When they went outside he would stand near the entrance facing the truck watching the area, popped off his retention strap and hand on the 1911 ready to draw. You just don't see that too often.

#13 ·
I wonder if it was loaded or not. Back in the 1970's and 80's some security companies would equip their officers with fake guns. They looked real but would not fire. The idea was that they would not be able to be sued for someone being shot by their officer. Bad situation in my opinion. I don't know of anyone that does this anymore. The company I worked for required their officers to carry 38 Special ammo even if the gun was a 357. The only exception was if you carried a semi-auto pistol. Being one of the company's firearms instructors, most of our people were decent in their knowledge and skill with guns. I did have a couple though that did give me reason to be concerned. These did pass the classroom and the range (barely). With the exception of maybe 4, our officers would have been able to tell you the caliber of the sidearm as well as the ammo load they carried.

#14 ·
Hearing that makes me feel as if i've been :nutkick:

I can't believe They,( the bank) would have him even there.
Sounds as if he's more a liability than an asset.

I'm speechless

#31 ·
I feel sorry for the guard. Obviously, the company has not provided him with the information or the training for the position they have stuck him in.
I'm taking a step back from everyone else by saying, "I'm NOT!". The simple fact is that the firearm is a tool in his profession, whether by action or lack thereof. He has chosen of his own accord to remain ignorant of probably not only how to use said tool, but most obviously even what the tool is.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I know every tool I have that is a requirement for my profession. I know what the purpose is for each one and know how to use them effectively. This security guard falls into the ignorant fool category and this really isn't just a gun or 2nd amendment issue. I have little to know tolerance for stupid people and more particularly those who remain so of their own accord. If he's intelligent enough to get a job as a security guard, that means he has at least a high school education and is NOT mentally retarded. That means he has NO EXCUSE. Ignorance is not bliss.:twak:

Don't kill the messenger. I just call it like I see it.:bier:

#20 ·
I've not seen a security guard inside or outside of a bank in years but it is sad that he is armed and doesn't even know what he is carrying. I take it he had to at least qualify with the weapon before carrying one.

#21 ·
Who knows guys. Maybe he is actually a great shot and has been trained on how to safely handle the weapon. Perhaps his company just issues him the pistol and ammo and he never even thought about it.

You know, like how a girl (mine) will think a car is really cool and loves to drive it. But knows nothing about it. Oil it uses or horsepower it has. But she can still drive safely.

#22 ·
Maybe he just didn't want to talk about it. I'd have given you the same answer just to get you out of my face

#23 ·
Can the gun even be removed from the holster?

#24 ·
Let me guess.. 1st Security. Almost 30 years ago I was one of those Hartford/ West Hartford Security Guards. Interesting and scary experience. Training was limited. A video for customer interaction, a discussion about what to do if the bank is robbed ( HELP them carry the money out if need be), and a morning qualifying on the range. That was fun and easy for me, but one of the supervisors couldn't even hit the target he shook so much. Most of the others were able to clip the paper. Made me look like some kind of super star:king:

That was it. Standard issue .38 S&W. The first one I got had cobwebs in the chambers... You had 5 in the chamber, no more. It's all for show. I hated lobby duty. Loved the remote camera room on the executive floor. Most people slept, I actually did my job and watched the cameras, unloaded the .38 and practiced with it.

The other fun place was the loading dock because that's where the money came in and out so there were a lot of armed guards both from the bank and from carriers. A lot of the carriers were allowed to use personal weapons. Lots of locker room talk about guns.

Ah those were the days... not. Better than washing dishes though.

#29 ·
Reminds me of a armored truck guard I saw in Hardee's the other morning. He had a money bag in one hand and was trying to hold up his pants with the other. His pants were entirely too big and the weight of his gun didn't help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.