Sleep Disorders and Guns - Page 2

Sleep Disorders and Guns

This is a discussion on Sleep Disorders and Guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The night terrors can be miserable, my wife learned early on that we where going to have to take extra precautions, removing the firearms was ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleep Disorders and Guns

The night terrors can be miserable, my wife learned early on that we where going to have to take extra precautions, removing the firearms was not an option since i had experienced a home invasion at the age of 12 and haven't slept the same since.
    We purchased an alarm system we could set up and monitor ourselves where i could add additional motion sensors to it, instead of using the blaring siren we used the chime mode that is sufficient to wake me and the dogs up, i have all 4 sides of the house and garage covered and it works great.
    Additionaly we bought a safe that i installed about 8 ft away from the bed that i keep the guns in and can access fairly quick, the mags are all attached to magnets on the inside of the door for easy access.
    It can be difficult to deal with but is manageable, luckily i haven't had an episode since i changed jobs so my stress level and blood pressure are at acceptable levels but the precautionary measures are still there.

Night terrors are indeed real. In a past life I used to work in a sleep lab studying sleep disorders in people. (and due to recent layoffs, I am looking going back to that career). The interesting thing about sleep terrors is that manifestation in each patient is different. We believe that some patients sleep terrors were induced by stress, and in some we think they were aggravated by medications, (pain killers or other narcotics). In some patients sleep "terrors" involved acts of violence, but one physician that oversaw the lab, felt that they could be classified as those that walk or eat in their sleep.

Personally I don't know what to believe about the true classification or cause of sleep terrors - but I do know that due caution needs to be taken to assure that violent actions can not be taken while your truly asleep. Very few jury's will find the "I was asleep when I shot the gun" argument.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I don't have night terrors but I do have a hard time sleeping when I am waiting for a new gun to come in.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

A common sleep disorder medication called Ambien can aggrivate this problem. Years ago, I think I may have robbed my own truck.... seriously.

Night terrors, are scary when someone is having them. I have a family member who had them and hasn't had one in a long time, but they can still pop up. Wow... I cannot imagine them having access to a gun. HOLY COW, that would be dangerous. I'ld be running for my friggin life.

I've seen them do some downright scary stuff. They are serious stuff. They never had a clue as to what they did while having them, nor that they had even had one.

I think if you have night terrors, they need to be locked up at night with someone else being the only one's with the combination to open it up.

Sorry to hear you have them. Over time, they can go away ... but I'ld be sure.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I know this may sound like a weird topic but I used to have a lot of sleep problems due to stress, anxiety and working odd hours. I used to have night terrors and sleep paralysis because of this. Night terrors are like nightmares, but you are awake and you act on those terrors. They are not the same though. Most of the time you see hallucinations in your room, scream, throw things at the image that is scaring you (imagine a dark figure in your room at night). The few times that I had these I ended up freaking out on whatever it was. My wife suggested I go to the doctor so I did after of few of these episodes. My doctor basically gave me medication and sent me on my way. Since I've been taking this medication and following a regiment of getting a good amount of sleep, I've not had these problems since. Thank God I never attempted to grab my gun or shoot what was in my dream.

A short video about night terrors. Sorry about the quality, it's the best I could find describing the disorder: YouTube - Night Terrors

Those of you who have had these problems before know how absolutely terrifying these episodes can be. It made me wonder what would happen if you did shoot or got a hold of your gun in a situation like this. Many times these people are normal, physically and mentally healthy individuals in real life, but these sleep disorders can quickly wreak havoc. Many times you may have an episode and have no prior history of it. They quite often happen when you are fatigued or stressed.

It just got me wondering about firearm safety when you are “asleep”. What do you think?

If you haven't already, you should see a neurologist. I have temporal lobe epilepsy which can cause night terrors when I'm stressed. Mostly my seizures are limited to "hearing music" or having SEVERE dejavu, but when the seizures are intense enough, they can affect my visual cortex which does cause hallucinations and "waking dreams".

For these reasons, I do not keep a chambered round in my firearm while I am sleeping. The second I have to actually think about chambering a round, my seizure subsides.

When first reading this thread, I thought "are we really looking for more things to worry about?"....maybe it's how the OP phrased his post. Subsequent posts made me re-evaluate how prevalent sleep disorders are.

I will say, since deploying this last time and coming back, I don't sleep more than 4-5 hours/night....and had no problems with a firearm nearby (when I was in AFG and then VA).
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Someone who suffers from night terrors and other serious sleep disorders really should keep their defense weapon in a locked gun safe by their bed. Especially if they are married or have kids or other occupants in the home.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I agree that if you have disorders of this sort, the gun should not be left readily available at night until you have remedied the situation. Wife/kids or other people in the house this would be X2. Even if you live in an apartment or duplex or similar this would be X2.

Get yourself something to alert you and give you a few seconds notice if there is an intruder, then you can access the gun from a quick access safe and do what needs to be done. I would not recomend a biometric safe, but one that required key punched code or other thought process to gain access.

Get some sleep, use range time to relieve stress and hope you get back to normal sleeping patterns, unlike some of us who are on here because we can't sleep, but I haven't seen any shadow people this morning.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I've know a lot of my my fellow Vets to include myself that have had problems after tours overseas sleeping or adjusting to sleeping, call them disorders or whatever. Some were put on medications, some just needed counselling.

So, I sleep with my weapon close, but not to close. I have to move to get to it, just enough to wake me alittle more then the noise that woke in the first place.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

To aid the discussion, here's one description of night terrors :

Sudden awakening from sleep, persistent fear or terror that occurs at night, screaming, sweating, confusion, rapid heart rate, inability to explain what happened, usually no recall of "bad dreams" or nightmares, may have a vague sense of frightening images. Many people see spiders, snakes, animals or people in the room, are unable to fully awake, difficult to comfort, with no memory of the event on awakening the next day.
    Those I have seen , they are totally "functional" , it is NOT as if they are asleep, but they are. They are up, functioning, talking (usually screamining) and in complete terror and panic, often seeing things that are NOT there at all and thinking it's going to get them and many times thinking they are "in danger" . They have never remembered anything about having them, what occurred, or anything else about it when they are awakened. It is not good to wake them abruptly.

As soon as I started treatment for a sleep apnea problem I put my wife in charge of guarding the Hacienda at night. I have two machines beside my bed that make lots of noise plus I use lots of noise to drown out the noise so chances are I wouldn't hear someone breaking in but she would.

By the way I think I am going to be one of the few people that actually get to walk away from the hose machine once my weight hits 170.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links