Glock 21 vs Glock 37

Glock 21 vs Glock 37

This is a discussion on Glock 21 vs Glock 37 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would appreciate any pros or cons regarding these two pistols. I am looking for something in .45. The 21 is .45 ACP, the 37 ...

Thread: Glock 21 vs Glock 37

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Glock 21 vs Glock 37

I would appreciate any pros or cons regarding these two pistols.
    I am looking for something in .45. The 21 is .45 ACP, the 37 is. 45 GAP. The 37 can be had for under $400.00 The 21 can be had for under $500.00.

I am NOT a Glock fan but to appease some of my counterparts, I might buy one for the heck of it. The bottom line being a 45 in either /any case.

Yes, I know there are a lot of .45 pistols out there. However, I'm told everyone needs to own at least one Glock. So here I stand... I am willing to buy one providing it is under $650.00. It will simply be an addition my collection and used as a HDW not personal carry.

Thanks for any and all input.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Pros and cons. G21....G37.
    45acp ammo seems to be more available than 45GAP to the average consumer.
    The G37 remains the typical frame size as it's 9mm, 357sig, and 40S&W Glock siblings which means if you already have gear (holsters/mag pouches etc) that fit those, you'd be one up on added expenses.
    I've gone down the road with the G21 myself, and I found it a bit much to carry any time or IWB. It's a big chunk-o-Glock even though 13 rounds of 45acp seems to be a nice and lucky number. Found what I wanted in a 45acp pistol post Glock (I had a G30 also for a while). Now I'm seriously entertaining the idea of the 45GAP for another Glock even if the ammo is harder to find. I'd more than likely end up going for the G39 myself since I like the compacts a bit more than the full size for carry specifically. All of my current holsters and mag carriers will work with he 45GAP Glocks so it's easier for me to say go for the 45GAP. And if this pistol purchase of yours is going to be $100 less on the G37, that sounds like a real good reason for me to get into one over the G21. I might also add that finding genuine 13 round G21 magazines for spares might also be more difficult. I like having plenty of spare magazines for each and every one of my pistols.

VIP Member
    I don't expect the .45 GAP round to survive long term. I would go with a 21 or 30
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

.45 GAP is just a weaker version of .45 ACP. Recoil of the .45 ACP is not very bad as it is so there's no reason to step down the power..it just makes the round less lethal. Personally I think the G30 is the best all around compromise when it comes to a .45 ACP Glock because it's small enough to be concealed and carried without a significant sacrifice in accuracy or capacity...although my personal preference for a practical EDC would be the G36 because its thinner, lighter and slightly more accurate (longer barrel) than the G30. Also if you're going to be shooting .45 then any small price difference you pay in the initial buying of the gun will be quickly forgotten when you start shooting, haha
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    if this is just for the collection and you wont be carrying it on the daily why no talk of the glock 20/29 in 10MM??
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I don't think I'd go for the GAP.
    Another thought: Since the G21 is too big for practical CC carry and you're looking for HD use, think about a G30 or G30SF. They will take the G21 13-rd mags for HD work, and should you want to carry, slap the 10-rd mag in and go. A little more versatile.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The GAP ballistically and accuracy wise is an excellent round. The 37 fits the hand much better than the 21. It basically feels like a 17 or 22. However, the GAP round is expensive and pretty difficult to find other than online. The 21 is available in SF version and is much easier to handle, is a common .45 ACP, a proven man stopper and is over all gonna be your better choice IMO.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Cool

I am required to carry a Glock 21SF on duty and it is a big old heavy piece ( boy do I miss my G 22 ). That said I really like the G 36 for concealed carry if I want a .45. I personally think the .45 GAP is a cartridge with a short life span on the horizon. My .02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I don't expect the .45 GAP round to survive long term. I would go with a 21 or 30
    I used to think the same way. But as this becomes more prevalent among our law enforcement communities, I think it's here to stay.

I vote G21 SF, but that's just me
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Another vote for the g36. Nice to carry and I can hit pretty well with it.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I vote G21 SF, but that's just me
    and me too!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Don't get the SF model before you see how it feels in your hand though. I wish they made a wide-frame version! Well I guess they do, with the Gen4, but that's another story.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Sponsored Links