Remington 700 SPS tactical .308

Remington 700 SPS tactical .308

This is a discussion on Remington 700 SPS tactical .308 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Obviously the Remington 700 is one of the best bolt action rifles out on the market today. I am wondering about this specific model, with ...

Thread: Remington 700 SPS tactical .308

Question Remington 700 SPS tactical .308

Obviously the Remington 700 is one of the best bolt action rifles out on the market today. I am wondering about this specific model, with the 20" barrel and Hogue overmolded stock. What do you guys think about the stock that this rifle has? Anybody had any issues with it?

How far would you guys say this rifle can reach out and touch with its shorter barrel (assuming at least a decent scope is put on it)? 700's tend to be capable of pretty good accuracy right out of the gate, does this one fit in with the rest of the line-up? I've been seeing what seem to be some pretty good deals on these rifles lately, and am wondering if it's time to get one. Thanks for the input.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    You might want to look at the Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine. With an MSRP of $854 it is an outstanding rifle and an outstanding value.

Senior Moderator
    From my personal experience I can tell no difference in accuraccy shooting a Remington 7600 in .308 with a 22" barrel and a 16" barrel at 150 meters.

The 7600 does not have the some reputation for accuracy the the 700 does nor is the Police 7600 carbine (16" barrel) built to anything close to the same spec that the SPS is....of course I am not a long range rifle shooter.

What I am trying to say is that you will probably suffer little noticeable performance issues in going to an 18" barrel. If you are a precesion long range shooter and shoot past 300 meters regularly then you might notice the missing barrel length.

For me if they are out past 300 meters I can hide until they either go away are come closer.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

But...how much can we practice with such a gun, if we have to leave town to shoot it at about one dollar per round?

I do already have a .308 (a savage 11fxp I think it is) so ammo isn't much of an issue. Honestly I just like the looks of the rifle, and am kinda drawn to the 700 name. I've been wanting a heavy barreled .308 bolt action, and these can be had new for under $600 in my area.

I'm not sure how often I'll get to shoot it past a few hundred yards, although if I get the opportunity to shoot out to 7-800 yards, I want a rifle that can do it.

I think I hung out with my battalions snipers too much.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    Don't worry about the barrel length. It'll do just fine.

Recent studies have been done with short barreled rifles that show excellent accuracy out to 1000 yards.

With some of the newer powders on the market, if you reload you can fine tune your loads to match the rifle, using faster powders in the shorter barrel you will actually lose very little speed vs. a longer barrel.

I have built several rifles using the SPS as the base. While I am not that fond of the Hogue stocks because they are not stable, for most encounters they'll be OK. The last few .300 Fireball rifles that I built were just re-barreled SPS's.

The actions are better than standard as far as concentricity,perpendicularity and they don't require the work that the standard actions do when it comes to blueprinting or fine tuning.

As with any other rifle that you shoot, any scope will do out to 3-400 yards. Its past that they a good scope becomes a factor in what you can see and how clearly you can see it.

Put a Leupold or a Nikon on it and call it good. The rifle will more than likely out shoot you.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Don't worry about the barrel length. It'll do just fine.

Recent studies have been done with short barreled rifles that show excellent accuracy out to 1000 yards.

With some of the newer powders on the market, if you reload you can fine tune your loads to match the rifle, using faster powders in the shorter barrel you will actually lose very little speed vs. a longer barrel.

I have built several rifles using the SPS as the base. While I am not that fond of the Hogue stocks because they are not stable, for most encounters they'll be OK. The last few .300 Fireball rifles that I built were just re-barreled SPS's.

The actions are better than standard as far as concentricity,perpendicularity and they don't require the work that the standard actions do when it comes to blueprinting or fine tuning.

As with any other rifle that you shoot, any scope will do out to 3-400 yards. Its past that they a good scope becomes a factor in what you can see and how clearly you can see it.

Put a Leupold or a Nikon on it and call it good. The rifle will more than likely out shoot you.
    I highlighted the main parts in there that concerned me. I'll probably start reloading next summer, as that activity tends to be frowned upon in barracks room, but its on m list of things to do.

I seem to recall hearing somewhere before that the stocks are not the most stable. If I am rolling with a sling on the rifle (I usually put a normal parade sling on bolt actions, that I can turn into a loop sling), and try to properly utilize the sling, is it going to effect the stock and weapon in a negative manner?

I got a rude awakening in how much better a quality optic can make distance shots. A Schmidt and Bender scope is much better than an ACOG, even when set to the same power (not quite a fair comparison, but the Scmidt and Benders even on their lowest setting had a much clearer sight picture out past a few hundred yards). So a scope is something I wouldn't want to scrimp on, although initially I'd probably go with a low-mid range Leupold, because of budgeting.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    So a scope is something I wouldn't want to scrimp on, although initially I'd probably go with a low-mid range Leupold, because of budgeting.
    You may want to take a hard look at the Bushnell scopes. the 4200's and the 6500's are really outstanding glass. I shoot with a guy who can afford ANYTHING and he outfits all his rifles with Bushnell. The guys at the range will try to be optics snobs with their Leica, Swarovski, Night Force and Leupold but in the final analysis the 4200's and the 6500's he has mounted on his rifles look crystal clear (even at high power) and his top scores always quiet the non-believers.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    My 700 is pretty accurate, but has a 26" Bbl. I'm not sure about a 20" after 500 yds. Bullet drop is probably significant.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Good friend of mine has the 700 SPS Varmit 308 about $550 Retail 26" bull barrel. He has shot groups out to 1200 yards, but he has a VXIII Scope and a nice bipod on it and spent a LONG time working up a perfect load for it! He is also the kinda guy that celebrated new years in his man cave glass beding the rifle.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

20" barreled long range shooter....how good could they be right out of the box? For the price....you're getting an average rifle at commercial production. The Remington 700 models are nice, and so are the Savage offerings. Personally, I think the Savage rifles are going to get the edge...for the price....at the standard commercial offering (mass produced) for accuracy right out of the box. I have both Savage and Remington rifles that I use for long range shooting, and I've done work on them both, and had work done by Aurora Tactical on one of them to further the cause. Both 26" heavy barrels, one in it's original laminated wood stock, and the other in an aftermarket composite/kevlar stock. I consider them on equal terms now in accuracy along with my custom hand loads and over six years of developing them and loosing some data in the process due to unfortunate circumstances. Glass? I have a BSA higher end scope on one of them, and a Springfield Armory Govt model on the other. I consider 1000yd shots no problem with either of them, and they are different calibers. One a .22-250, and the other a .308win.
    I'm quite sure that if you're a shooter, any commercially available rifle from Savage or Remington will do the job intended up to a point with commercially available ammunition and a scope of decent quality. Thing is that it's all relative when one talks about accuracy, then further compounds matters by thinking of accuracy at 500-1000yds. If you can't afford a custom built to your specs, then you go for an average-commercial production rifle and work with it after the fact. Some may be quite happy with it's performance right out of the box. Others may realize that there are things they can do themselves to improve upon the foundation. The difference between the two is being the shooter, or letting the rifle shoot for you. Even the USMC had customs made out of the Remington 700 for their M40A1to specs for a lot of good reasons. All in all, a 20" barreled .308 should be capable of doing the same as a 26" barreled .308 with the application of all sound principles and nailing down the ballistics. I just figure the work involved getting their will be more. Maybe good at best for the urban marksman, at relatively shorter distances, and against solid backgrounds, but lacking for those out in the three dimensional environment who want to be capable of taking their best shot with their equipment. Nothing right out of the box is going to do that no matter how much or how little you spend on it. Everything else depends on you, your abilities, and your ammunition and what you make of it all together with your rifle. Shoot commercial ammo in your commercially available rifle, and all you should expect at the most is average. If average is good with you, then everything is fine. If you know you can do better than average, then you'll know what to do and how to do it or you'll be paying someone else to do what they think you need even after you've specified the needs and it comes out better but different than what your expectations were.
    Okay.....I finally realized I'm rambling again. I figure most of the replies have already answered your question in general. As for the Hogue OM stock, and a quality rifle.........not in a long range shooter unless you firm it up a bit and free float that fore end. The Hogue OM stock is really nice on my Ruger 10/22 with a carbon fiber barrel and squirrel hunting. Other than that, choose a more solid platform where the basic principles are more easily applied. The Hogue OM stocks seem to be fetching a premium price on EBay these days, so it should be an easy sell.
    Most folks are going for the ready made and package deals these days because of marketing tactics, and the bargain prices. what they don't realize or want to know is that they are compromising their own ideals most of the time. It's the quick and easy with our society now. Most want something already made and ready to go and get what they want. The truth of it? Lots of folks are running around PO'd because they didn't get what they wanted, but accepted it nonetheless. That's what puts more psycho drivers on the road each day in my opinion. Bunch of dissatisfied people on the road beside you and at every turn. Makes for an unhappy and less than peaceful environment.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My old Mid-'70s, glass-bedded, free-floated, .30-06 700 ADL has been know to open some eyes when it reached out and "touched" a few rockchucks at extreme range. Hard to beat a 700.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    I seem to recall hearing somewhere before that the stocks are not the most stable. If I am rolling with a sling on the rifle (I usually put a normal parade sling on bolt actions, that I can turn into a loop sling), and try to properly utilize the sling, is it going to effect the stock and weapon in a negative manner?

It could. The Hogue, although it feels good it a bit flimsy on the forend. They aren't free floated and they are soft enough that putting much pressure on a tight sling could actually cause pressure to bear on the barrel, which is never good for accuracy.

Several people that I know have changed out the Hogues and went with either HS Precision or McMillan stocks. While the McMillan's are nice, I am not convinced that they are worth the extra cost over that of the HS Precision stocks which do the same thing for cheaper.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, I went to the store today, and the sps was just calling to me, so I picked one up, put on a new Redfield 4x12 for now (I'll probably update to something else later one, but I do want to see how Leupold did in bringing back that brand. I'll probably put some pictures up after I shoot it in a couple of dats. Thanks everyone for the responses. The stock certainly feels interesting, I'm going to shoot with it some, see how it feels, and if necessary, order a replacement.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    You will be pleased with the redfield! On par with a VX1 for much cheaper! Great set up!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Sponsored Links