The BIG Guns - 338 Lapua and 50bmg

This is a discussion on The BIG Guns - 338 Lapua and 50bmg within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I just got in from a very hot day dialing in the big guns. A friend has 2,000 acres about an hour from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The BIG Guns - 338 Lapua and 50bmg

The BIG Guns - 338 Lapua and 50bmg

Hey guys,

I just got in from a very hot day dialing in the big guns. A friend has 2,000 acres about an hour from Corpus with a few 600 to 1,000 yard lanes and a few pits. We've been needing to get out and dial in the guns and the long scope (Schmidt and Bender 5-25 x 56) so we can blow up some hogs and coyotes that are causing some issues out there.

I'm keeping this short since I got burnt up and I'm exhausted. First was the 338 Lapua (Barrett 98 Bravo) with the Nikon scope. It was zeroed at 200 yards and we were consistently blowing the center out of the shoot n see targets at 500 yards. My buddy brought his 300 Weatherby Mag and the recoil was a good bit more than the 338.. I've never shot the 300 before this, so figured I'd mention it.

Now, the 50 (Barrett 82A1) and the S&B got zeroed at 200 as well... This gun is sick! Now, in town there's no where to shoot it, so it's only been shot once into a 50 yard hillside. Not too precise, just fired two magazines through it. Well today we were nailing 600 yard groups around 6 inches. I'm sure that could be much better, but that gun is somewhat intimidating, so I imagine i flinched a bit and the truck was running (we were shooting from the truck bed).

Now, I swear I tasted blood after each shot from that thing shooting from the bed, even though the muzzle was far out of it. The concussion was insane and I have a slight headache.

I also ran 6 mags through the SCAR, still not a hiccup. I ran a 4x Acog on it even though I prefer a T1. Nothing precise, just 100 yards and in, mostly rapid fire. Took the HK MP5 along as well to have some full auto fun, but after the 50 and a few hours in the midday sun, I couldn't do anymore.

I now have a great new place to shoot with ranges to 1,000 yards with a couple pits to set up some courses. it'll only get better from here!!

Barrett 98b (338 Lapua)

Barrett 82a1 (50 bmg)

SCAR

Just for kicks, here's a few rounds I put side by side.
    9mm, 45acp, .223, 6.8spc, 338 Lapua, 50bmg

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    There are no words to describe how jealous I am, so, I will leave it at WOW.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Bragger!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I hate you
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Unbelievable fun, and on 2,000 acres...Wow, just Wow!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That sounds like a good Texas Saturday.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I am truly jealous. You have an awesome setup there. I'm having a hard enough time talking the wife into a shotgun, theres no way I'll ever have a pair of barretts.
    I can dream though

Nice stuff there. Looks like a quality day. The blast off of a .50 can be really intense. Glad ya had a good day of shooting.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    The "overpressure" from the .50 can truly be a beast. It is no fun to shoot for extended periods, period. That said, shooting over more forgiving terrain (grass, dirt, etc) will probably ease it up a little bit.

My guys (several school-trained snipers, several other highly qualified precision rifle shooters) were never able to get better than about 1MOA out of our M107s. Not to say that it isn't possible, we just couldn't do it with our rifle/ammo/environment combos. The .50 is great fun to shoot (for a little while), but ours, at least, weren't accurate enough for precision shots beyond a few hundred meters. As an anti-materiel rifle they're awesome, but as a precision "sniper" rifle we just couldn't wring their true mechanical potential out of them in the desert...

Oh, and wear double ear pro with that thing, will ya?! :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    I never was impressed with my Barrett. Both of the .50's that I built shot much better.

A hint about the Barret that you might try next time...

Dont shoot it off the bi-pod. The accuracy will be better when shooting from a bench-rest which is way more solid. If you have ever seen a super slow motion video of the Barrett when shot, it bends like a noodle. The bi pod is just too flimsy for all that happens.

My Barrett was ammo sensitive. I got a few hundred rounds from Spain that it absolutely hated, it would group worth a dang. It like Greek rounds and it liked South African rounds. Some of the older U.S milsurp was OK and it loved the newer Lake City rounds.

If you are shooting 6 inches at 600 yards, you are doing well. Shooting it from a solid rest instead of the bi-pod and you will shrink the group some.

As for the headache...oh yeah. After about the third shot, my sinuses start breaking loose from the pressure differential and my nose starts running.

Looks like a fun day shooting the good stuff. Nice pics too.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Very nice Jonathan....

Thanks guys..

Yeah, from what I've read I wasn't expecting as much. I run Lake City in 50 and Lapua in 338..

We were shooting form the bed of the truck across a large field. I expected the 338 to be the more accurate at longer distance, but the 50 did much better. I think I was pretty on yesterday as well with the 50 and the handguns :)

I'm looking at an Accuracy International AW 308 right now. I'll be going back out in a few weeks and do it right. I'll be sure to get the video camera out as well.

I have a Bohica upper with a stainless steel single shot Bohica lower also. I've also got a Nightforce 8-32X56 NXS scope and Nightforce mounts. The barrel is 30" long. I've also got a Magpul PRS stock on it. The total weight is 28 lbs and with the Bohica muzzle break it's a pleasure to shoot. There is zero pain just a lot of noise and a gentle push. Usually 5 to 10 rounds is enough fun and expense. One of my best friends also has one with the 24" barrel. He even has a bad shoulder but can shoot the rifle without pain. There is something about a 50 BMG no matter who makes it that is so much fun to shoot. I do however much prefer to shoot mine from a bench instead of prone. To save money I've been using pulled 647 gr API rounds and I picked up 24 lbs of AA8700 for a good price. I've also got 16 lbs of WC860 which is about the same. I'm getting more and more friends that are interested in shooting the 50 and have picked up their own. Barretts, Bohicas and a Vulcan. They are all fun to shoot.

Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Oh how I wish! That is just too awesome! I hate you too! :-)
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links