High Standard?

High Standard?

This is a discussion on High Standard? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tried searching and didn't find what I was looking for. My friend just texted me asking about this company and I honestly don't know ...

Thread: High Standard?

High Standard?

I tried searching and didn't find what I was looking for.
    My friend just texted me asking about this company and I honestly don't know anything about them. So I am looking for your opinions please.
    P.S. I tried texting him back to find out which model he is asking about but haven't heard back from him, so for now I'm just kind of looking for a sweeping opinion of the company.
    Thanks

VIP Member
    I grew up shooting a .22 High Standard Citation. It's a good, solid, accurate gun.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Link here: High Standard

I wasn't sure they were still in business but apparently they are.

High Standard used to be known for their .22 cal target pistols and there is a fairly large collectors association for them. Some of the old ones can fetch a pretty good price.

I have an old High Standard "Sport King" target gun my wife inherited and it is a real tack driver. It is one of my all time favorite .22 LR guns. It came with 3 different barrels however I only have the 4 inch barrel. My brother-in-law sold the other two barrels because he didn't know where the gun went and didn't realize his mother gave it to his sister after their dad died. We were kind of pissed over that, but what are you gonna do?

From their website it looks as though they acquired the old company AMT (Arcadia Machine and Tool) which produced the AMT AutoMag (.44 magnum semi-automatic pistol) made famous by Clint Eastwood in one of the Dirty Harry movies. They also produced the AMT Hardballer which is a 1911 model 45 ACP and the .45 ACP Back-Up and .380 Back-Up pocket pistols. Those and several other of the old AMT's are now being sold through High Standard.

It appears they make an AR-15 platform mil-spec rifle called the HS15.

I really don't know much about the company other than they made great .22 target pistols and since I have one, I can attest to it being a great shooter.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    I grew up shooting a .22 High Standard Citation. It's a good, solid, accurate gun.
    Yep, their .22's are sweet. I shot a friends and have wanted one since. Only problem is they are overpriced around here.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." Benjamin Franklin

My grandfather has one of their 9 shot .22 revolvers that I shot when I was growing up. Excellent gun.

Thanks for all the input.
    I just got the rest of the info. He is asking because he found one of their 1911s on sale at cabelas for $500. He didn't say which model 1911.

Today's High Standard guns have very little DNA in common with the High Standard of the Sentinel, Sport King and Match King days.

The original High Standard that made the guns that are collectible (many of which have damnably frustrating magazine problems) was based in Connecticut. I worked down the street from them in East Hartford when the "beginning of the end" was near. They fell into receivership c. 1978 and have had several owners since then. All the "tribal knowledge" and "hidden factory" behind the High Standard guns we knew and loved has long since evaporated.

I've seen and handled their new 1911, but I haven't shot one. I keep an open mind about its quality, but my simple admonition is to divorce today's High Standard from that of yesteryear. The name may be the same, but it ain't the same company.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    Used a High Standard .22 years ago (1960s) when I was on the 8th Army Pistol Team. It was our "issued" rim-fire match gun.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links