Apartment Defense

This is a discussion on Apartment Defense within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Guys, Its been awhile since I've posted here but I've decided to ask for your advice again.. I'm moving into a new apartment soon ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apartment Defense

Apartment Defense

Hi Guys,

Its been awhile since I've posted here but I've decided to ask for your advice again.. I'm moving into a new apartment soon and I wanted to ask about some apartment defense advice.. Besides getting a 12ga, what other apt defense advice do you have?

I am (as always) concerned about break ins or theft and am curious to know what else you all have done to make your places safer..

I've thought about getting a door stop for the front door and maybe a small alarm system.. My budget isnt huge but all advice is welcome..

Thanks!
    Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.
    - David T. Wolf

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Do you have a pistol?

Because that is the first defensive firearm I would buy (above a shotgun)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have a .380 and am in the market for a 12ga but I was looking for advice for securing doors, windows, alarms, light timers, etc...
    - David T. Wolf

One of the best things you can get for an appartment is "The Buddybar Door Jammer."

We have one and it is great. They are on the expensive side, with shipping around $70.00 but they are totally worth it.

Check out my websites....

http://www.prophezine.com

http://survival4christians.blogspot.com/

Μολὼν λαβέ

Thats exactly what Im looking for Proph thanks.. How does it work on carpet?
    - David T. Wolf

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianGarms View Post
    Thats exactly what Im looking for Proph thanks.. How does it work on carpet?

Yes it does. ACE hardware also sells these.

p.s. take the screws out of the door lock, striker, and frame, and replace them with 3 inch screws with a few drops of Elmers Wood Glue on them.

dowel rods/pvc/al rods in windows/sliding doors blocking them from being opened.

Window film, to prevent window and sliding door smashes.

I have a crazy pregnant wife guarding my apartment. Boy you don't wanna mess with one of those. Tad on the expensive side though
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

First, get renters insurance.
    Second, as with any ground that you are trying to hold at all costs you go to the outer perimeter and start creating things that either confuse, kill, or slow down the person or persons trying to get to you.
    Third, be creative in your defense, if a can of marbles placed in front of a door as an alarm works as good as a hundred dollar alarm choose it. Marbles don't have batteries that might fail.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    99.9% of door locks, deadbolts or not, are crap for SD because of the doorframes. "Longer" screws may not help as the wood is pine and only 1" thick. The screws just protrude out the other side. Doesn't help when the door frame splinters. Having some one install a tough metal plate where the locks fit will be more effective than longer screws.

The Buddy Doorjam? I can see where that could slide out on repeditive impact from a determined intruder. And keep in mind that most "break-ins" are while the occupants are away.

Many security devices are available at hardware/building supplies and relatively inexpensive.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    What I Use Right Now For Home Defense Other Than My 2 Handguns:
    -timers attached to each lamp in each room
    -door security bar from Masterlock sort of similar to the buddybar (installed on both my front and rear doors)=both doors already have deadbolts installed though I don't wanna just depend on them to make the doors secure
    -door wedge alarms on all doors, including bedroom door
    -portable deadbolt for my bedroom door
    -first aid kits on both master bedroom upstairs and the kitchen downstairs
    -fire extinguisher in every room
    -fire escape ladder in the master bedroom
    -100 rds. of spare ammo for each handgun
    -fireproof safe for valuables and important documents (key and dial combination activated)
    -paper shredder

Note:Since my apartment has stairs, I also have on hand with me not only my briefcase containing my 2 handguns, but also my cellphone. I also have no landline phone in the apartment. As for my 2 long guns (shotgun and rifle), they are at my folks' house, where I visit every other weekend. I leave them there because those long guns would not be too practical for apartment defense and I would like for my relatives to be safe in my absence and those long guns (locked up and in condition 4) are there for them to use in the house where they are more applicable. My long guns will remain there until I marry and have a family of my own. Also when I visit there, they are extra guns for me to use besides my pistols.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; June 29th, 2010 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    I have a crazy pregnant wife guarding my apartment. Boy you don't wanna mess with one of those. Tad on the expensive side though
    hah been there lol
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    They are better than having a firearm. Just tell them the BG is stealing the icecream.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

or in her case corn......she freaking can't get enough corn on the cob. do they make corn flavored ice cream? I hope not!!!

I used to have motion detectors in the hall ways i would turn on at night, but they drove me/wife crazy when anyone got up to use the bathroom.

Now i just have one pointed at the front door and sliding door. On at all times and can't be disabled. They start chirping annoyingly when they only have 1/4 battery life left. very cheap heads up!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links