Ideas on the Kel Tec PLR 16 - Anybody have one?

This is a discussion on Ideas on the Kel Tec PLR 16 - Anybody have one? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just saw a video on it. That is one mean looking intimidating pistol (it's a pistol, right?). So i you have one or have shot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just saw a video on it. That is one mean looking intimidating pistol (it's a pistol, right?).

So i you have one or have shot one, please share some insight on this gun. Useful as what? Accuracy, etc. Oh yeah, and price paid and hard or easy to find?
    Last edited by JD; June 29th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.

They seem very cool...I have been looing at them also. What I have really beeen eyeing is the SU-16C, also a .223, comes with two 10 rd mags that store in the buttstock, and also accepts AR mags. It breaks down with a folding stock to 16x7, and fires while folded. Be great for a SHTF bag.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    They seem very cool...I have been looing at them also. What I have really beeen eyeing is the SU-16C, also a .223, comes with two 10 rd mags that store in the buttstock, and also accepts AR mags. It breaks down with a folding stock to 16x7, and fires while folded. Be great for a SHTF bag.
    Hey, that was once on my wish list too. But this gun was not to be found anywhere here in NC.... Bummer

EAJ
    I had one for awhile. It was fun to shoot and reliable, but more of a novelty then anything else. I eventually sold it.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I've had one for about three years now. I added the available options, a scope with laser dot on the top and laser dot on the lower pic. rail, plus a compensator. It looks real mean. I haven't fired it yet. It's turned into a safe queen.

The Store had one, came in and flew out the door. We havn't seen it since (which means it's either not been shot or it's doing it's job well) Looks like a Carbon 15 on the economy side. felt pretty good, and appeared to be fairly well made. Good backup gun, or Offhand shooter for sure.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

It is totally possible and legal to put a foregrip on it or to mount a folding stock to it. They make great inexpensive guns for beginners new to NFA stuff.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    It is totally possible and legal to put a foregrip on it or to mount a folding stock to it. They make great inexpensive guns for beginners new to NFA stuff.
    are you talking about the PLR 16 or the SU16?

my gun dealer deals in suppressors and the like and said adding a grip to to PLR16 would make it a SBR

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I bought one, solely because I figured they would soon be banned. Shot it a few times, slightly ungainly when a 30 AR mag is installed, but rests well on a rail/branch with the stock mag installed. I thought about using it as a truck gun...imagine the carjackers surprise when 30 rds of .223 come flying his way!!!!!!!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    I bought one, solely because I figured they would soon be banned. Shot it a few times, slightly ungainly when a 30 AR mag is installed, but rests well on a rail/branch with the stock mag installed. I thought about using it as a truck gun...imagine the carjackers surprise when 30 rds of .223 come flying his way!!!!!!!!!
    hey, the uglier the better! an average criminal will laugh at a common pistol but a PLR16?..... come say hello to my little friend.....

this kel tec and maybe a draco ak47 rank high with me as far as the intimidation factor is concerned.

EAJ

I believe that's correct, but with a $200 BATFE tax stamp.

Yes, as a SBR or an AOW, although with a Form 1 project, no reason not to make it an SBR. Just adding a foregrip would make it an AOW, but you'd still pay $200 on a Form 1 done yourself and you still couldn't put a rifle stock on it.

It is legal with a Form 1. Should cost you $200 for the stamp, maybe $50 for the stock, and $20 or $30 for the engraving. You can find a Trust online, or get one from a lawyer or maybe your tax person. You may already have a corporation or LLC, or you could do it as an individual as a last resort.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

EAJ
    Yes, as a SBR or an AOW, although with a Form 1 project, no reason not to make it an SBR. Just adding a foregrip would make it an AOW, but you'd still pay $200 on a Form 1 done yourself and you still couldn't put a rifle stock on it.

It is legal with a Form 1. Should cost you $200 for the stamp, maybe $50 for the stock, and $20 or $30 for the engraving. You can find a Trust online, or get one from a lawyer or maybe your tax person. You may already have a corporation or LLC, or you could do it as an individual as a last resort.

More Info BATF :)

I bought on of the first ones that Keltec shipped. It is an absolute scream to shoot. Mine has been extremely relaible except with Wolf which it immediately choked on....no more of that. I have the foregrip with laser and bipod on bottom and, red dot on top. This is no joke, off the bench this gun is as accurate as my Colt 16" AR out to 100 yds. The noise is unreal and the muzzle flash is impressive. Yes, it IS a pistol. Mine sits next to me in my truck on occasion in a non-descript black gym bag with a bunch of AR mags. Also have the single point sling which makes for a reasonably steady platform when extended out tightly.
    When I shoot at the range, people come over and the first question is "WHAT is that!"
    Next question is "is it legal?"

A fun gun that supplements either your handgun or your rifle.
    I don't recall the price out the door but, I am thinking $600.
    Last edited by Gibber; June 29th, 2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: price

I've had one for several years now. Very accurate and reliable, mine has an Eotech 512 on it, a Levang Liner Compensator, I use the same MagPul PMAGs as my AR. It spends most of its time in my gear bag when I'm on patrol, it's a lot handier right there in the passenger seat than locked up in back like my patrol rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links