Advice on recoil springs.

This is a discussion on Advice on recoil springs. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a couple of new pistols and wanted go ahead and start picking up new springs for the two. I wanted to ask some ...

Thread: Advice on recoil springs.

Advice on recoil springs.

I have a couple of new pistols and wanted go ahead and start picking up new springs for the two. I wanted to ask some of the 1911 guys around here what they would suggest as far as replacements. i.e. Brand, #s ect.

I've got the Kimber Ultra C2 with 350 rounds through it so far and the book calls for a replacement @ 1800 and the RS is a 18# stock if I'm not mistaken. I know I've got plenty of time yet, but thought I'd be prepared. I've seen a few post on other sites that suggested going to a higher tension one so it would feed JHP better. Is this true, and what's your take on it.

I also have the Sig P238 with 250 rounds DR and wonder about the higher tension RS for it as well.

Thanks for any advice.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Call Wolff gun springs and do what they say! They make the springs for Kimber and solved my problem.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I just received a "calibration set" of Wolff springs for my CZ-82. I figured a surplus handgun probably had a lot of use on the springs. Set comes with 3 different weight recoil springs and replacement firing pin springs. The old springs are a bit shorter than the replacements, but Wolff says that's normal and any spring takes a set after being compressed awhile.

Might take a look at Wolff's website and see what they offer for your models. My set was only @$20 + shp.

As far as changing spring weight, As long as the gun functions okay with the load you choose, it's probably okay. Hotter loads may need a stiffer recoil spring. Personally, I don't change too much from "as designed."
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thanks gents I appreciate the advice.. I'll give um a call and check out the site.

TC

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Links