Disappointed with new Kel Tec PF9 pistol accuracy

This is a discussion on Disappointed with new Kel Tec PF9 pistol accuracy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; bought myself a PF9 as a tidy little concealed pistol in 9mm. i am basically a kel tec fan regarding their no nonsense guns at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

bought myself a PF9 as a tidy little concealed pistol in 9mm. i am basically a kel tec fan regarding their no nonsense guns at good prices. too it to the range today and was kinda surprised at the poor accuracy. or maybe i am just expecting too much from a pistol like this. at 10 yards the bullets were essentially all over the place, at least 10 inches from where they were supposed to go. at 5 yards the shots were still at least 5 inches off. any i mean off in any direction. can this be normal?

compared to my ruger 22/45 the kel tec is a sling shot.... :-)

jfl
    I have a P-3AT (.380); at 10 yards, 11 out of 12 shots were in a 5" circle. That was after a very thorough "fluff & buff" per KTOG advice, and over 100 rds break-in.
    How many rds have you shot before through this gun ?
    If it doesn't get better after a couple hundred rds, send it back to KT, I hear they have an outstanding customer service.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I have a P-3AT (.380); at 10 yards, 11 out of 12 shots were in a 5" circle. That was after a very thorough "fluff & buff" per KTOG advice, and over 100 rds break-in.
    How many rds have you shot before through this gun ?
    If it doesn't get better after a couple hundred rds, send it back to KT, I hear they have an outstanding customer service.
    well, after today it has maybe 60 rounds through it...

PS the sights are fixed, right?

If you can't group, could it be that the long/heavy trigger pull is causing you to pull off? Shoot it off a rest to see if the problem is you or the gun.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

It could be that you are still 'learning' the trigger. Ultra-compact pistols are much more difficult to shoot well than the larger, heavier ones, especialy with double action only. Give the pistol and yourself a chance to get to know each other.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    compared to my ruger 22/45 the kel tec is a sling shot.... :-)
    Lots of shooters new to the PF9 get a bit disgusted when they first shoot it.
    It does take time and practice to master the trigger.

You have to remember that its not a target gun like the 22/45...its not even in the same league. Different purpose, different trigger, different sights.

Its a quick out, in your gut type gun. Pull it out and shoot until the threat ceases.
    It is there that the PF-9 does very well. No safetys to disengage, nothing to think about other than using it to stay alive.

A common mistake is to use too much finger in the trigger. Use the pad of your finger and bring it straight back. Take your time and figure out exactly where the trigger breaks. Do this and your groups will get much better.

If you are shooting high or low, experiment with different brands of ammo. Some will shoot higher or lower than others.

Take the time to learn your gun and you'll do fine with it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Before I blame a gun I have somebody else that is a good shot shoot it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ape
    As said above.... This is a common misnomer for these little guns and their LONG D/A trigger pull. It is possible that you could have an issue that needs addressing by KT's warranty dept. However I would offer this advice to make sure it's not a case of operator error.

Find yourself an inexpensive laser (or borrow one if possible) and get yourself some snap caps. Mount the laser and load some snap caps in a room void of any live ammunition. Then tape up a target, turn the laser on and commense to sqeezing some trigger pulls. You'll notice right away, by the aid of the laser, at how much your gun is moving during the pull and at the point of sear disengagement.
    As a matter of fact it may just shock you a bit to see how much you're moving your POA during all of this. :-/ But with some practice with the sanp caps and then some live fire you'll master it in no time at all. ;-)
    And if you can manage to use an indoor range to utilize the laser during the live fire testing it'll help even more. The snap of these little guns can make even the most experienced of shooters anticipate recoil and throw off their aim.

I never had any issues @ 25 yds. "I" tended not to do quite as well with it at 50 yrds, but it was not that bad either.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

i just fooled around with my laser boresighter and found out something interesting. it appears that with this pistol the sight picture is slightly different than other guns. normally you align the 3 white dots and put the target right above the middle one. not here. you will be unpleasantly surprised. it looks like (and the next range visit will confirm) that with this pf9 the front sight dot has to be just under the rear sight U, placing the target between the rear dots. distance was around 5-7 yards.

PS there is no way to adjust elevation, right?
    Last edited by TheCount; June 30th, 2010 at 01:11 PM.

Ape
    Sight picture is a personal preference kind of thing. Some people like to have the front sight high, low or right on. Just depends on what "you" want really.

As far as the elevation adjustment for the PF9 is concerned...... You can shim the rear sight to bring your POA up if needed. And possibly even sand some material off the rear sight from underneath if you needed to go down with your POA? But remember, this gun is designed and intended as a close quarters point and shoot gun. Not a range pounder meant to shred the X ring from any distance. So unless your POA is WAY off I wouldn't mess with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    i just fooled around with my laser boresighter and found out something interesting. it appears that with this pistol the sight picture is slightly different than other guns. normally you align the 3 white dots and put the target right above the middle one. not here. you will be unpleasantly surprised. it looks like (and the next range visit will confirm) that with this pf9 the front sight dot has to be just under the rear sight U, placing the target between the rear dots. distance was around 5-7 yards.

PS there is no way to adjust elevation, right?
    Sounds strange. Remember that when the bullet leaves the barrel it will travel in an arc (trajectory) so if the boresighter is in the barrel it the laser dot is not necessarily where the bullet will go. Keep in mind boresighers are meant to get you on the paper, not fully sighted in.

Like my little Ruger LCP and Smith Model 60 snubbie, it is what it is and it hurts your trigger finger and hand, but that is the deal when you want it concealed.

I agree with obxned. I own a Keltec PF 9. It is dead on accurate. One thing you have to do is learn the trigger. Once you learn how to stage the trigger and get comfortable shooting this double action only pistol you will enjoy the gun. It's not going to be the most fun gun you take to the range due to it's size and somewhat snappy recoil. But, keep in mind what it was designed for. It's a carry gun not a range gun. It may take you a little time to get comfortable with the gun. Get proficient with it and you will like it!
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Quote Originally Posted by MsXD9 View Post
    I agree with obxned. I own a Keltec PF 9. It is dead on accurate. One thing you have to do is learn the trigger. Once you learn how to stage the trigger and get comfortable shooting this double action only pistol you will enjoy the gun.
    You may have hit on why I had no issue at all with it. I've had and shot revolvers forever. So, I'm very accustomed to a revolver trigger pull, which I would compare the PF9 more to than some of the other semi's.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links