Out of NYC for the weekend, teaching GF to shoot?

This is a discussion on Out of NYC for the weekend, teaching GF to shoot? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I am going back to where my family is either in Mass, or central Maine this weekend for the 4th. So I get to ...

Thread: Out of NYC for the weekend, teaching GF to shoot?

Out of NYC for the weekend, teaching GF to shoot?

So I am going back to where my family is either in Mass, or central Maine this weekend for the 4th. So I get to go for a long train ride and car ride . The train is not the bad part honestly. So my semi firearm related question is this; I would like to try to introduce my girlfriend, who will come with me, to shooting. I am thinking either a 22 or air gun. Any advice?

2. Remove Ads

.22 is a good place to start. No recoil, cheap, easy to learn. Go over safety rules first and then let her shoot. Hope that she likes it, and go from there.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Safety rules and handling

Show how the gun works/functions (so she understands it won't go off by itself)

Make sure you have eye protection and ear protection that fits properly.

Finally, make sure she is dressed appropriately--nothing low-cut, no open-toed shoes, maybe a ball cap (pick your battles). Hot brass makes marks...and can lead to a negative experience if said hot brass lands somewhere sensitive.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    +1 on above

IMHO, if you have one, I'd start with a .22 rifle or air rifle.

1) Muzzle control is easier to maintain by a newbie.

2) Many folk new to guns seem more at home with a rifle than a handgun, at first.

Also, don't start with fine MOA shooting, newbies can get frustrated with missing, quickly.

Just plink at first -- close range. A bunch of #10 cans or good size balloons on a still day.

Most of all, check out:

Cornered Cat - How to Make Your Wife Hate Guns
    Last edited by DaveH; June 30th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

+1 on all the above. I would start her out on a .22 bolt action rifle, if available. Grab some coke cans and let her shoot them.

Of course, before hand, go over safety rules and how the gun operates, including how to use iron sights.

It has been my experience that for some reason, women new to shooting have issues getting the gun to their cheek the right way. Otherwise, they have a great time. However, like most new shooters, they often do not take safety very seriously. For me, the best approach is to remain calm always and gently correct, always calmly. I also usually stand directly behind the person so I can easily grab the gun if something goes wrong (ie: muzzle direction).

Good luck and I'm sure you'll both enjoy yourselves.

Best advice: Pay for her to go to a Professional Instructor.
    If the best advice is not followed: Start with a .22 and progress AT HER PACE to a 9mm/38 Sp FULL sized gun on the 1st day. Be very careful not to hurt, scare or make her feel stupid. Eye Protection and Hearing Protection every shot. Don't try to impress her with your skills too early, it will only reinforce her feelings of being iniadequate as a shooter. Keep the range time relatively short, she will probably fatigue out WAY before you do. Last, make sure at the end she feels like a winner. Put her back up close let her drill some bullseyes and tell her how GREAT she did on her first day! Then, enjoy the evening :-)

VIP Member
    Two pieces of advice--you said either Mass or Maine. Make it Maine.

Don't bring anything with you on Amtrack.

The .22 is the best place to start and I think it is much underrated even for SD. Not the best by any means, just a bit underrated.

It is very easy to "graduate" from .22 to .380, 9mm or 38 sp.

Good luck. Have a great trip.

I wish I was in New England too for this weekend. At least the hurricane is bringing in a bit of cooler air.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Don't bring anything with you on Amtrack.
    Re: Amtrak see:
    Amtrak Firearms Storage and Carriage in Checked Baggage Program

or

Amtrak - Baggage Policy and Information
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Come on up to Vermont sometime, we have lots of places to shoot, gravel pits, outdoor ranges, sporting clays, etc... and little or no restrictions. I have a great place for you to stay too, see Welcome to The Inn at Willow Pond and plenty of handguns, rifles, and shotguns for the two of you to test drive.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Reinhold,

Is the Inn at willow pond a business of your. My wife and I (both CC permit holders) travel alot. And we are in your state alot. Look like a nice place we will have to check it out when we are in your neck of the woods. spike

.22 Rifle is best to start with for a woman.

If you want a pistol for her to try, my favorite is a a Ruger Mark II or Mark III -
    VERY accurate. If she can hit something her first few times out, she will more likely be bitten by the gun bug.

VIP Member
    Dave H- Good info you posted.

Important part from the info is, "Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010."

Thank you everyone for the advice. I was not planning on bringing a gun on Amtrak. I actually don’t own any in the city. So I would have been using borrowed family firearms anywise. Despite the fact she expressed interest earlier she has sense changed her position and doesn’t want to anymore. Oww well.
    Also have to say reinhold, that is a nice looking place.
    RebelRabbi, I wish she was that interested.

Links