My HD trio

This is a discussion on My HD trio within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I never claimed to be a good photographer. But I felt like posting a picture of my 3 go to HD guns. Bushmaster M-4 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My HD trio

My HD trio

So I never claimed to be a good photographer. But I felt like posting a picture of my 3 go to HD guns. Bushmaster M-4 with an Aimpoint M-3 and a bunch of stuff from Magpul. Mossberg 930 SPX which I found parts today to get my 3 point on. And a Loaded Springfield target model. I think I've got all my bases covered for pretty much any HD scenario.
    Attached Images
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    That will certainly work. :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    That will certainly work. :)
    If it doesn't, I don't think anything will.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

It will work in a pinch.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Very cool sir. I had an AR for the longest time ready in our bedroom but switched to the SCAR until my 12.5" Noveske comes in. Not because I like the SCAR better, just that it's new and I like it. Then I have a 226 with a light and my carry gun, a VBOB or Talon II.

My buddy has a Kriss SBR'd with a small reflex sight on it. I really like it and think it's a great HD gun. I like the PS90 5.7 also and due to it's size, capacity and speed, I think it would also make a great HD gun, I'm just not sold on that caliber yet.

It's great to see more guys using an AR (or other type of rifle) for home defense. With some of these home invasions, there's multiple guys coming in, all armed. I don't know about anyone else, but 9 rounds of 45 is great and I love it, but I feel a lot better with 56 to 84 rounds of 75 grain TAP. It's more effective, many more rounds in the gun and less likely to over penetrate through walls, etc., though that's not something I'm overly concerned about in the first place.

Good stuff buddy!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Jon,
    The main reason I keep an AR bedside, is because I know without a doubt in my heart that I can go straight from sleep to having that weapon ready to go in a blink of the eye. If I live to be 100 years old I will never forget how to run that platform of weapons, from controls to how to maneuver it through a building, to where I need to point it at under 50 yards without using the sites. It's like second nature to me, and its in my blood from my job the last 3 years.

That being said, the 930 spx and .45 would probably get the job done (either probably could by itself), but I am used to grabbing an M-16/AR when danger comes knocking, so I don't think my HD stable will ever be without one.

I'm not really sold on the PS90, the caliber really only comes into its own when coupled with the military/le ammo, IMO. I haven't got to handle a Kriss, but I would like one, they make a .45 version of it, right? That would be cool, although it is ugly.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I agree with you completely on that... That's what I like about the SCAR too. Other than the charging handle being placed more forward, I still run it the same with my support hand as I do an AR. I'm going to SBR it sometime this year as well.

The PS90 is a cool gun and can be shot very fast. I can get a lot of rounds downrange very quickly and accurate. But, I'm still not sold on the caliber. Unfortunately, as someone else said in another thread, that caliber was effective at Fort Hood.

The ammo available could be better. The military/LE ammo seems to be much better. It fragments more effectively. I don't know, I have enough of the standard calibers. Even though those are what I'll probably always carry and use for home defense, it's fun to own some of the other stuff just for kicks.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    "A story: A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

No melee weapon? Looks like a great trio!
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    The 1911 doubles as a club.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    "A story: A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle."
    Probably one of the best quotes from Jarhead, and O so true. Although I do prefer my Aimpoint to an ACOG for HD duty, no need for the magnification. If its outside say 200 yards, its not really HD, and I'd just grab my .308 anyways

Jon, I agree variety is the spice of life, and it is always fun to be the one turning heads on the firing line with something "odd". I have a replica 1851 navy .44 ball and cap, its old and low tech, but certainly gets people's attention when I touch it off.

I'd like to get an SBR M-4, just not in the cards for me right now, but really with a collapsible stock and 16" barrel, an M-4 is rather CQB friendly if you know what you are doing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    I'm a government trained melee weapon, although the 930 would be better for buttstrokes than the M-4.

If I need a melee weapon, I've done gone and screwed up.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Moderator
    Nice trio......

About Marines and their rifles, my Grandfather is a 90+ year old veteran of WWII and Korea. In 1942 when he went to Parris Island he drilled with a 1903 Springfield in November 1942 when shipped out to Guadalcanal he was issued a M1 Garand which he used throughout the Solomon Islands. In 1950 he shipped out to Korea (as a Gunnery Sergeant) with a M2 carbine.

As of 5 years ago he could disassemble and reassemble both the M1 and M1 carbine faster than I could and I don't have arthritis and am not blind. I don't think that he touched one these since he retired from the Corps.
    Last edited by pgrass101; July 1st, 2010 at 03:33 PM. Reason: thanks OPFOR
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Corps. Watch out, pgrass, those Leathernecks remember that sort of thing...

Nice stuff
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links