What was your first??? And When??? - Page 3

What was your first??? And When???

This is a discussion on What was your first??? And When??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My first handgun was a P.38. Got it in 1989. Wish I still had it!...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What was your first??? And When???

My first handgun was a P.38. Got it in 1989. Wish I still had it!
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

My first one.........

......was a cheap SAA take-off .22 (Made in Spain I think......don't remember who manufactured it). My 'snake charmer'. Six inch barrel, poor blueing job, and not too terribly accurate......but what a fun plinker for a 16 yo to learn with!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Walther P38, in 1946. Among war souvenirs, from an uncle. Wasn't allowed to shoot it for a while. But I kept it in my dresser.

Still have it. It will be my son's, some day.

Next was my grandfather's H & R "22 Special" 9 shot revolver, at 9yo -- so I could join in the traditional family shooting matches.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DaveH; July 3rd, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Oh goodness. I think it was a Colt Police Positive Special .38 special, blued. I bought it in 1988 or 1989. Didn't have it too long and I think I traded it for a Stainless Ruger Security Six .357.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Oh boy. My first gun was a .25 semi, the classic "Saturday Night Special". Yea, I know ... I was young and dumb, in the service, early '70's. Next was a WWII surplus P-38 in 9mm, fun to shoot and accurate. My first "serious" handgun was my S&W Model 28 .357 mag that I have to this day. I bought it when the local police department "upgraded" to the 9mm "wonder nines" in the early '80's. It shoots very well and comes with me on hikes or trips when I need a "camp gun". I keep it loaded with .38 spl 158 grain LSWCHP for HD.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Used S&W Model 19 Nickle 4" .357 bought in about 1983 or so. I sold it to my brother in law then bugged him till he sold it back to me.
    SCGunLover1

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    The first one I actually owned was my GP100 (which I still have), bought in 1991. It's currently wearing Pachmeyr's:

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

My first gun was a Glock 27 which was a gift from my uncle for graduating the academy. The first gone that I bought on my own was my S&W 638. I got both in early 2009.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

DaveJay, sent you a PM on the Astra. My first was a .22 DA 9 shot- don't remember the make. Sounds like a lot of folks have similar thoughts- wasn't what I wanted then but would like to have it now. Why is it?
    I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatMan View Post
    DaveJay, sent you a PM on the Astra. My first was a .22 DA 9 shot- don't remember the make. Sounds like a lot of folks have similar thoughts- wasn't what I wanted then but would like to have it now. Why is it?
    Got it...thanks...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

20 years ago when I was 16..

Ruger 10/22 rifle

Single shot 12 gauge

I've got a whole lot more now

22 Winchester Magnum Lever Action given to me by my grandfather when I was 11.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadPoison View Post
    22 Winchester Magnum Lever Action given to me by my grandfather when I was 11.
    Wow!

A Lever Action handgun!!!

Got a picture?

FWIIW -- although the first gun I owned was a handgun, I was not allowed to use it at that time. The first gun I was allowed to shoot was a bolt action single shot 22LR.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    H&R 9-shot .22 revolver around 1975. Bought it for plinking and the occasional shot at squirrels. Nice little pistol.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    H&R 9-shot .22 revolver around 1975. Bought it for plinking and the occasional shot at squirrels. Nice little pistol.
    Top break? No serial #? Very fine sights?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links