Are there shooting glasses that don't fog?

This is a discussion on Are there shooting glasses that don't fog? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At the range, I used to take the eye protection off to wipe the fog clear with my shirt. I just found out that this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there shooting glasses that don't fog?

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

Are there shooting glasses that don't fog?

At the range, I used to take the eye protection off to wipe the fog clear with my shirt. I just found out that this is frowned upon. So now I have to make multiple trips to the entry room to wipe them down. This is extremely annoying.

Are there some that don't fog?
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

good question. all my glasses fog. i tried fog-x, but it did not work for me.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Stop eyeballing the women.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Stop eyeballing the women.
    There actually are some cuties in there now and then. Unfortunately, they're usually with their boyfriends who are teaching them to shoot.

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member
    Try pulling them off your face a little bit so you can get some more airflow behind them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    At the range, I used to take the eye protection off to wipe the fog clear with my shirt. I just found out that this is frowned upon. So now I have to make multiple trips to the entry room to wipe them down. This is extremely annoying.
    Some eye wear designs are better than others.
    Indoor ranges are ventilated in such a way that outside air changes must be made to clear smoke, fumes and some lead.This means that the temperature in the range may be close to the due point of the outside air. On very humid days the air in the range may be close to the saturation point called due. This will cause condensation and fogging on glass or plastic lenses. Designs that are vented above the bridge of the nose will fog less. Some products designed to keep the inside of your car windshield from fogging may also help slightly if you clean you shooting glasses with it first.

Here is an example of vented eye protection. About $10-12.00.

Howard Leight Vapor II Sharp-Shooter Glasses w/Clear Lens & Black Frame

Glasses.jpg click on photo to enlarge

The Vapor II glasses have lightweight frames design for all day wear. They have a sleek sporty style at and affordable price. Also featuring comfortable sport temples with secure wrap-around fit, soft nose bridge conforms to varying shapes and prevents slipping, anti-fog lens, and meets ANSI Z87+ high impact standard.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I would use an anti-fog wipe or solution. I have the wipes, but don't remember what they are....used them before I went out on convoys..
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I just buy regular safety glasses from Amazon. I think the last bunch I bought were Dewalt clear and tinted. They fit great and I think they where about $4 dollars for two pair.

At that price, I can afford to lose them.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    good question. all my glasses fog. i tried fog-x, but it did not work for me.
    Although it doesn't always solve the problem completely, I find that this product does help considerably.

If you don't mind wearing tactical goggles at the range, you can get quiet fan assisted ones that will eliminate the problem,

ESS Striker TurboFan Series Military/Tactical Goggles with 2-Speed Vent Fan - 740-0242 FREE S&H 740-0242. ESS Striker Goggles, ESS Goggles.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

You can try the anti-fog spray that paintball players use on their goggles.
    Kleer Vu Anti-fog Spray - 8oz at ActionVillage.com : Paintball

VIP Member
    I have used Cat Crap with better success than other anti-foggers, which I have used. Haven't tried everything but of what I have tried this seems to work best, for me.

See: Cat Crap [10003B] - $5.99 : EK USA, EK Accessories Shopping Cart
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I bought a pair of Remingtons today. The guy that sold them to me said that they "won't fog." I was skeptical, but I got them. Well...they fogged just like the ones in the bin at the range. They were super nice, but they stil fogged.

But that's okay. I picked up some Rain-X anti-fogging formula and will try that. But what's NOT okay is that they were tinted and the range is slightly dark. So I took them back and exchanged them for some clear ones, so we'll see how that works out.

-miklcolt45

Shaving cream. Put a dab on your finger tip. (the white stuff, not shaving gel) and rub it around on the lense. Let "dry" for a minute or so, and buff with an old t shirt. Sounds stupid, but it works. Also works for the bathroom mirror, no joke.

When I was SCUBA diving in the 70s we spit on the inside of our face masks, rubed it around and rinsed, worked pretty good.

Now you could get some of the anti fog product from a dive shop, I pull my glasses slightly away from my face and let the ear muffs hold them on place to allow air circulation.

No shooting glasses come anti-fog that I know of to this day. You'll need to give yours a treatment with anti-fog wipes or similar. Just like the windshield on your vehicle. IMO, the silicone treatment is good. Don't worry about those girls out with their boyfriend learning to shoot. Most of the boyfriends are still learning themselves, and the girls wish they had more of a man after the range session is over. Cut in on the dance whenever you feel it necessary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links