Defensive Carry banner

Hiking Problem

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  medicineball 
#1 ·
I’ve been hiking on Pikes Peak recently and I’m noticing a problem. I really can’t carry my gun (CZ 75B) on my hip because I sweat like a pig when I do this hike (I actually sweat so much it’s causing the dye on my belt to bleed out into the waistband of my pants.) but I’ve noticed that when I carry my pistol in my Camelback it gets condensation all over it because it sits in the comaprtment right next to the water bag. Maybe I could just move it to another compartment .

I’m considering options and I think the best might be to just clean the weapon every time I go but that isn’t always feasible because I sometimes go straight to work after. I’m considering switching out to my S&W stainless for hiking any suggestions?

#2 ·
Maxpedition Versipacks... the only non man purse application I see for them is outdoors activities (hiking, biking etc) and as a bug out bag... Might be just what you are looking for.

#3 ·
Can't be a solution that costs money

#4 ·
Well, either way you'd probably wear a belt right? So just continue wearing it. If it's the holster, then look for a kydex holster. Otherwise, yeah, I'd switch to your stainless S&W.

Or... (edit) what about a nylon belt? (wilderness belt I believe they are called)

#5 ·
Ok, then line the camelback withan old t-shirt or 2, that should help a bit.

#6 ·
Wax your firearm and then go back to hip carry. Use Renaissance Wax.
Search Ebay for it. Buy the smallest size. A little bit goes a long way.
It will sweat-proof your firearm.

#7 ·
Here's a low-tech possible solution that won't win any points for a quick or unimpeded draw, but I've used this before when I either run in 90-degree heat for an hour, or mow in 90-degree heat for hours on end.

I cut out a flap of plastic bag large enough to double over my gun, then lay my gun on the plastic with the barrel end at the middle of the plastic. I then fold the plastic bag material over the up-facing side of the gun, with the result being the openings in the plastic are along the top of the slide, the bottom of the gun, and the rear of the grip. I then place the gun, wrapped in plactic at least up to and perhaps including the sides of the grip, in my holster, usually a SmartCarry for those situations.

The rear of the grip is accessible for a draw if I reach between the ends of the plastic. If I had to grab the gun and fire while it was still enclosed in plastic, my guess is it would still fire several times before the plastic gummed up the slide. And it might fire many times.

It's not a perfect solution, but if I do it right, my gun will be dry while my SmartCarry and every stitch of clothing on me is drenched.

I've done this many times when jogging through the woods or mowing for multiple hours. During those situations, usually there are no other humans around. I figure I can get the gun out soon enough if a threat appears.

A ziploc plactic bag might work also, but I've never tried it. Hmmm, maybe that would be easier than cutting plastic. I'll try that the next time I get the chance. If I leave the top open, I think I could still draw.

#8 ·
Treo, I would just clean the gun well each time you come home, personally. If you need it on the trail, you need it NOW not after taking your camelbak off. If you use CLP or something it will protect the firearm from corrosion, and then clean it off after you get home it will be fine. I always use compressed air to blow the yuck out of my guns when I clean them, and if you do that there won't be sweat in tiny areas.

#9 ·
Agree with the previous post that cleaning each time is probably the best route, because it won't require you to learn a new deployment system. A water-displacing pretreatment will keep most moisture off anyway - I've had good luck with gunzilla.

As another poster mentioned, however, I've had good luck with maxpedition, especially the gear slingers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.