Gun Safes on a budget

This is a discussion on Gun Safes on a budget within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that you get what you pay for. Im looking for a decent safe to keep the average criminal that breaks in from stealing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safes on a budget

Gun Safes on a budget

I know that you get what you pay for. Im looking for a decent safe to keep the average criminal that breaks in from stealing my firearms. Even if they fail, make the thug work for them. At the very least I can show my insurance company that I did what I could to prevent the theft of the firearms.

I was looking around at the el-cheapo Harbor freight executive safe (my neighbor bought one). I was surprised at how heavy the HF one was. The door was really sturdy.

However, for the same price, I can get a Stack-on 8-gun safe. Stack-on 8 Gun Safe - SportsAuthority.com

Was told that Sentry Safe is a decent line of safe's. Was looking at this one.Sentry®Safe 5-Gun Safe - Black - SportsAuthority.com

My intentions are to get a better safe in the future. However with the economy, and my pay cuts, these are the ones that are in my current budget. Also they are better than what I have now, which is nothing.

Ive scoured craigslist and the local classifieds for a good used safe, but nothings come up yet. Any thoughts?
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

2. Remove Ads

Check Wal Mart and the Sentry gun safes. Anchor it to the floor and the wall. Another suggestion.....lots of decent gun safes for sale on EBay. Just be ready to haul them from the curb into your house. Get something you can afford with a fire rating. My 2˘

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    What about a high school locker bolted to your wall?
    For God, Family and Country!

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCop View Post
    What about a high school locker bolted to your wall?
    That was a joke.... right?

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    I use a stack on 1.6 cu ft safe. was $40 on sale at MC Sports, but, it meets my needs, I have 2 pistols and a 30-30. My others are in my Dad's 12 gun sentry.
    Anyways, mines bolted to the studs and is a 4-8 digit electronic safe.
    I can access it pretty quick and it meets my needs.
    Attached Images
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    sry about the crappy cell phone camera
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Gander Mountain usually has some decent deals. I'm partial to the fireproof types and I plan to get one eventually. I currently have a small pistol safe from Dick's Sporting Goods for something like $29.00 or so. It'll hold four decent sized handguns.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Check Wal Mart and the Sentry gun safes. Anchor it to the floor and the wall. Another suggestion.....lots of decent gun safes for sale on EBay. Just be ready to haul them from the curb into your house. Get something you can afford with a fire rating. My 2˘

walmarts got some cheap prices on those sentry's, how would you go about securing them? large screws? is it better to connect it to the floor than the wall?

thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    walmarts got some cheap prices on those sentry's, how would you go about securing them? large screws? is it better to connect it to the floor than the wall?

thanx
    Both,... I'm a carpenter. The studs on the wall line up with the floor joist (or they should). Lag bolts and big washers at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Both,... I'm a carpenter. The studs on the wall line up with the floor joist (or they should). Lag bolts and big washers at a minimum.

do you hammer in those lag bolts, or just use a drill? will a regular drill work?

(sure you can tell i'm not a handy man )

thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    do you hammer in those lag bolts, or just use a drill? will a regular drill work?

(sure you can tell i'm not a handy man )

thanx
    Probably use a ratchet and a socket. If you don't have a heavy drill or an impact wrench.

OP, if you can find a used Liberty Safe in your price range buy it, It should last a life time.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I recently got a Browning Theftguard safe, 7/14 long gun capacity and a fire rating, tumbler lock also (which is a plus over digital IMHO) for 599, not cheap, but not crazy expensive either. Small enough to fit in a closet easily.

How much do you want to spend?

I'm assuming you don't want to drop 2 or 3 grand on a big safe, so I would recommend the Browning Pro-Steel safes at Academy. They run like $800 and are pretty big.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

I want something that is Fire and Water proof. I've never seen one for long guns like that. But then I havn't looked much at those because as of yet, I don't have any long guns, just pistols, so I'm looking at a 2 cubic foot SentrySafe.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

AzB
    What the simplest way to add to the security of a safe? Hide it. Don't put it in your living room, out in the middle of the den, or in your bedroom closet. A small safe can be hidden under the sink in the bathroom, or even under a large heavy dresser. Think like a thief, where's the first place he's going to look for guns? There are two closets in my house that are flush with outside walls and when the doorways were converted to hidden doors (not as expensive or hard to do as you think) you'd never know there was a room behind those walls.

Always anchor the safe. My dad thought his safe was too heavy to lift because it took him and a buddy of his to carry it. I walked over and picked it up and carried it to my car. It wasn't easy, but it made the point. Anchor the safe to wall and floor.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links