Glock conversion bbl.s

This is a discussion on Glock conversion bbl.s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm seriously considering making a "shoot-all" out of my 3rd gen. G23, already have a Advantage Arms Secure Online Store .22 LR conversion kit, loads ...

Thread: Glock conversion bbl.s

Glock conversion bbl.s

I'm seriously considering making a "shoot-all" out of my 3rd gen. G23, already have a Advantage Arms Secure Online Store .22 LR conversion kit, loads of fun there.
    A Wolf 9-40 conversion barrel (& 9mm mags) is likely next. Will that barrel *safely & reliably* function in my G27? (this part of the question is mainly academic, but I'd like to know. obviously it would stick out a bit)
    For the .357 barrel, it's just a straight swap & drop in for the stock G32 bbl., correct, no need for a special (i.e. Wolf) barrel there? Also, will it also function *safely & reliably* in the G27?
    Last edited by calam; July 4th, 2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: gen

2. Remove Ads

you can change all the small parts you like to convert a 40cal to 9mm, however the breechface is still going to be machined for a 40cal (unless you change the slide). as such, i would only use conversion kits for the range, not for self defense (despite what many people do....).

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Safely yes; reliably--that depends. Some have no problem converting down to 9mm. Others need to change the ejector to get "reliable" function. You'll also need 9mm mags as they don't feed reliably from .40/.357 mags.

If I get a G22 down the road, I intend to "convert" it also. I like the convienence. My AA .22 conversion has been a blast on my G30 frame. An occasional FTE, but no big deal for target work.

I have read of some issues going from .40 to .357 (or vice-versa) that required a matched caliber mag to resolve. But it's still cheaper to buy a mag than a new gun.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

all i have to do was the barrel and mags. did this for a g27 and a g23. no other changes were needed for me.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have a lone wolf 40-9 barrel in my G 35 took bout 200 rounds to break in. I wouldn't bet my life on it but its 98% reliable. I shoot my 9mm reloads through it all the time and it's pretty reliable.

I only changed the barrel and the mags.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I have a 10mm converted for 4 chamberings. It works wel with them all. As for carrying for defense, many will tell you what they think or heard, but not what they know from experience. I have found no reliability issues in my gun. If reliability is degraded, I would say it would be no worse than what your over the counter 1911 would be.

ok, so then...

Seems for general range stuff bbl. (& mags where noted) swaps between caliber are fine, what about using the longer bbls. From these in a G27? Obviously it'll stick out a bit, but is it supported enough, etc.?

Thx btw everyone, appreciate the feedback. I don't post much here but have been lurkin for much longer than my join date ot post count imply, this is one of my favorite sites, & I hope all of you have had a wonderful Independance Day!

(On a side note, mostly off topic, but somewhat firearms related, shameless request for prayers. Not gonna specify, not hijacking my own thread, not lookin for a reply or to offend anyone, only for action from those who will. Thx again & God bless.)

the only thing when converting a 23 to 9mm is it will eject the shells streight up instead of to the side because of the ejector it happened to my friend so i just stayed 40/357 and use my 26 when i want to carry 9mm
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

That hasn't been my experience Kane. I have a converted G21, G35, G22, G23, and G27, and AA kits for them. Now, I use Storm Lake (the G21 is a KKM) rather than LWD--I just hate the little cartoon wolf on the barrel hood.

No, you will not need to change other parts on the gun. The mag is a good idea, but 9mm WILL feed from .40 mags. Don't drop 'em, but they'll feed.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Barrel length is irrelevent. Just looks awkward sticking out. Threaded barrels for suppressors stick out also.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ok, that's all pretty much what I thought, thanks again ya'll. :)

I did a G27 with a 9mm barrel and mags. So far it's worked perfectly. I would not use it as a self defense weapon though. It has not failed to eject yet, but it does so with less gusto than the .40. It would need a 9mm ejector before I would rely on it for SD. It's great and cheap on the range and lets you practice a little cheaper for drawing and working malfunctions, and just getting to know the pistol a little better. I have not tried the .357 yet. It would offer a distinct high velocity option to a .40 platform. It's great just to be able to have all those options...another plus for the Glock!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Well, wait. You CAN'T use a barrel for a G17 in a G27. It has to be a conversion barrel built for a G27, just so you know.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Links