Gun and Ammo tax.

This is a discussion on Gun and Ammo tax. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since the recent Supreme Court ruling I am hearing more and more talk about a "firearm"tax. Should we run out and buy or watch and ...

Thread: Gun and Ammo tax.

Gun and Ammo tax.

Since the recent Supreme Court ruling I am hearing more and more talk about a "firearm"tax. Should we run out and buy or watch and listen ?

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member
    But.....but.......didn't Obama say nobody would pay new taxes?

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    It aint going to happen
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Someone in a deep blue state will try it. Or, they'll pass microstamping and ammo prices will go out the roof.

"Some invest in gold and silver, I'm putting my money into brass and lead!"
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

A newly instituted tanning tax makes me think this regime will tax anything.

We already have an excise tax on firearms and ammunition. It's called the Pittman-Robertson Act, and it's been around since the 1930's. The last I remember, it's now an 11% tax, and has been expanded since its beginning to apply to fishing equipment and some other sporting goods items. The money goes into a trust fund for wildlife restoration programs, stocking streams and lakes, and other associated purposes like hunter education.
    "None who have always been free can understand
    the terrible fascinating power of the hope of freedom
    to those who are not free."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm sure sooner or later someone like Bingaman or Udall will attempt it. However with all the green this and green that, I'm waiting for the democrats to attempt taxing sunlight.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

We the people are in control. Due to the current circumstances...it's rather easy to forget that. We let it become what it is...gave them more power than they have a right to, and feeding the fire with our complacency all the time. Read my lips......no new taxes! Take back what's ours and what we have a right to in America. Today is an important reminder of our escape from tyranny and injustice. Once our nation was strong and willing and able to fight for what was right. We conquered and made victory. Now....we're letting it slip away for free thinking and individuality. May God help us all since it seems we can't help ourselves. Do something in your life to re-enforce or support history if you can. It's our country and not theirs. It's got to be a common goal, and I live for the day we all work as a team again...for what's right, and to make sure nothing got lost. Happy Independence Day everyone.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    We the people are in control. Due to the current circumstances...it's rather easy to forget that. We let it become what it is...gave them more power than they have a right to, and feeding the fire with our complacency all the time. Read my lips......no new taxes! Take back what's ours and what we have a right to in America. Today is an important reminder of our escape from tyranny and injustice. Once our nation was strong and willing and able to fight for what was right. We conquered and made victory. Now....we're letting it slip away for free thinking and individuality. May God help us all since it seems we can't help ourselves. Do something in your life to re-enforce or support history if you can. It's our country and not theirs. It's got to be a common goal, and I live for the day we all work as a team again...for what's right, and to make sure nothing got lost. Happy Independence Day everyone.
    Very well said and perfect timing, Happy Independence Day to you !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspinner View Post
    Since the recent Supreme Court ruling I am hearing more and more talk about a "firearm"tax. Should we run out and buy or watch and listen ?
    From whom are you hearing this? If it's from emails whose subject looks like, "fwd. fwd. fwd. fwd. There takin our gunz!" then I think we're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Now....we're letting it slip away for free thinking and individuality.
    Never let it be said that this forum can't still surprise me. I didn't think I'd ever see a post decrying free thinking and individuality.

It's our country and not theirs.
    Please tell me that I'm not the only one that found this line chilling, and not in a good way.

Trying to figure out the best forum for this topic, and sadly, no rational topic should contain this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    But.....but.......didn't Obama say nobody would pay new taxes?
    It's not a tax.... it's a fee!
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by UtahRSO View Post
    We already have an excise tax on firearms and ammunition. It's called the Pittman-Robertson Act, and it's been around since the 1930's. The last I remember, it's now an 11% tax, and has been expanded since its beginning to apply to fishing equipment and some other sporting goods items. The money goes into a trust fund for wildlife restoration programs, stocking streams and lakes, and other associated purposes like hunter education.
    Exactly...
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Someone in a deep blue state will try it. Or, they'll pass microstamping and ammo prices will go out the roof.

"Some invest in gold and silver, I'm putting my money into brass and lead!"
    Ammo is not micro-stamped by the manufacturer. The firearm stamps the ammo case when fired, thus identifying the weapon used. It wouldn't affect the cost of ammo, but the gun instead.
    How would an ammo maker know what firearm make and serial number is going to use that box of rounds?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links